Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hail damage

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PDR should be able to fix you up... I've seen them work miracles....
Old May 30, 2014, 10:59 AM

I had 5000 dollars in hail damage on a car worth 8500. They didnt salvage it, insurance was through State Farm, PDR'ed the car, but new hood.
Old May 31, 2014, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Update:

Looks like I'm at about $9,500.00 in damage. Replacing hood and trunk for sure. Replacing all chrome trim pieces. PDR what they can.

Theres a place out in Powhatan that does a lot of high end bmw's so gonna try that I here they are really good. Bout 45 minute ride from me.

So we shall see.

They also hydro dip. Has anyone seen that service. Google it check it out in YouTube.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mystykalbaby
Update: Looks like I'm at about $9,500.00 in damage. Replacing hood and trunk for sure. Replacing all chrome trim pieces. PDR what they can. Theres a place out in Powhatan that does a lot of high end bmw's so gonna try that I here they are really good. Bout 45 minute ride from me. So we shall see. They also hydro dip. Has anyone seen that service. Google it check it out in YouTube.
So are they cutting you a check for $9500??. Be careful going to other places, if the body shop that did the quote says they will do it for $9,500, then that's all you get. If you try a different shop, and they are more expensive, you are going to be on the hook for the difference.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

No that's the initial estimate from the adjuster. I can go to any shop I want. All I need to do is have the shop submit a supplement. I keep of insurance in all my vehicles. Kinda a necessary evil. One of those things where you rather have plenty then not enough. With the cost of cars skyrocketing overnight, I feel sorry for the guy with state minimums who has damage like this or who is in an at fault accident with say a $60k Tahoe or $100k range rover.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:53 PM
zmw

There are some areas that CANNOT be fixed regardless of what the PDR guy tells you - I had a car take 12k$ of hail damage and I chose to get rid of the car because after I was told HOW it had to be fixed I didn't want it.

For a PROPER hail repair, PDR won't get it done, they will often have to cut the roof and reweld a replacement skin - Verify HOW the car is going to be fixed prior to accepting it. I ended up trading the car in damaged and took the settlement cash because I came out ahead.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If they are paying to replace the panels, sounds like a perfect opportunity for upgrades?

I had insurance just cut me a check and went with aftermarket parts. Get something out of this whole ordeal and be happy!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

UPDATE.

So my x should be ready this week. I'll be going to get a preview of work this week.

They tech assisting me said I was lucky. Apparently the roof can't be replaced or so they say. If it wasn't able to be pdr it would've totaled the car cause it's non fixable. He eluded to that you can't just cut it out and replace it.

Will be interesting to say the least.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn why didnt you lay your body across your car to protect it from the hail hahaha
Old Jun 22, 2014, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mystykalbaby
...Apparently the roof can't be replaced or so they say. If it wasn't able to be pdr it would've totaled the car cause it's non fixable. He eluded to that you can't just cut it out and replace it.
Aluminum roof woes. If I remember correctly, Mitsubishi had to use a "special" joining method to bond the aluminum roof to the steel? chassis.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

that's ridiculous. I mean they make CF roofs (that save a whole 1lbs over aluminum lol). So how do people swap that on if you can't replace the roof?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 03:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ddawg1130
that's ridiculous. I mean they make CF roofs (that save a whole 1lbs over aluminum lol). So how do people swap that on if you can't replace the roof?
They probably aren't concerned with galvanic corrosion among other issues that arise from joining two dissimilar metals.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Sorry its been so long getting back to you guys.
So final update to this whole mess.

First of all "to a T" body in Powhatan VA did an amazing job for what they had to work with. I'll get photos posted later. They where smart enough to see if the roof could be PDR'd first. As we all know with the MR its non-replaceable. as far as my insurance was concerned it would've been an automatic total loss.

Paint wise I was able to get a BMW variant of my paint code and use that to do the entire car. Cleans up really nice. shot the whole car minus the roof with it. The owner even went the extra step and re-did my rocker panels (side skirts) from rock chips and so on.

The wheels have seen some off course action from me as well and have nicks and so on in the finish. I'm returning to them soon to do ink water transfer to the wheels to further freshen up the look to my X. if you are not familiar with that process here is a nice video.

All this to the tune of well over 10k.

Now I guess its time to start upgrades to the SST. (oh boy )
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Pics asap.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah... pics please!

Quick Reply: Hail damage