Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Buying a new car next week! Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a new car next week! Need some advice.

I'm going to buy a new car next week. The options I have are a new 5.0, 2014 evo, new sti. I drove the sti and it was very smooth. I honestly love the look of the evos and stis. But the 5.0 makes a lot more power. I want performance but also rarity. The 5.0 I see atleast 12 on the way to work haha. But I need opinions. How's the performance on the other cars. I know this is going to be semi bias. But I need answers
Old Jul 30, 2014, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

you'll get performance from all three. rarity, i see so many mustangs on the road, i don't even bother to look at any of them anymore. sti, not as bad as the mustangs but i do see them quite frequently. the evo is one of the rarest of the bunch. heck, i don't even see too many lancers.

bottom line, you can't go wrong with any of your choices. the new mustang should be a great car. the new sti is finally on par with the evo's awd system (not sure if they fixed the ringland failure). the evo is still awesome and the new 2014 interior is so ****in sick; i was literally this close from trading in my 08 for a 14 for the awesome leather interior. i have 120k miles on my gsr (basic bolt on with custom tune) and it's still pushing strong. not sure if i can say the same for the sti/mustang.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the response! And at first I wanted a 5.0 cause they are pretty quick stock. But they the more I thought about it the more I hated having a car that people just walk by. Do u know how much hp the evo can handle stock. Same for new sti? And how much are u pushing on ur 08?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Camenskill247
I'm going to buy a new car next week. The options I have are a new 5.0, 2014 evo, new sti. I drove the sti and it was very smooth. I honestly love the look of the evos and stis. But the 5.0 makes a lot more power. I want performance but also rarity. The 5.0 I see atleast 12 on the way to work haha. But I need opinions. How's the performance on the other cars. I know this is going to be semi bias. But I need answers
Had a 5.0 2011 and other years
Had an STi 08 - Great car but engine has massive flaws
Currently have 2014 MR EVO, best car ever

Enjoy your EVO.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

i've loved 5.0s since I was a kid, but if I only had one reason to give you, AWD TRUMPS RWD all day everyday and twice on tuesday, the driving experience of and AWD Evo is in a class of it's own
Old Jul 31, 2014, 02:42 AM
Evolving Member

Mustangs are everywhere, very common and the 5.0 is not special. Ad not a practical car does not have awd and 4 doors. Sti is junk if you want to mod it. The practical and reliable car of the 3 is the evo x.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 03:57 AM

Everyone here is most likely going to lean towards the evo since we all pretty much own one. Personally Ive hated mustangs for years but the new ones DEFF grew on me, but they're a dime a dozen. STI's are starting to pop up everywhere in my area but overall I think a better choice then the stang. I LOVE my evo just like everyone else here and can say you won't be disappointed if you pick one up. Great car easy to mod and looks great. And you deff don't see many so you'll be stoked when you pass another evo ha!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Currently have 2014 MR EVO, best car ever

This is real bias right here...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. While AWD is great for performance, weather, etc... RWD vehicles are still plenty of fun to drive (some might say more so). As the new mustang is supposed to be faster than the 12-13 Boss 302, I would venture to guess that it'll be quicker around the track than a stock Evo (but the X did surprisingly well when put head to head against the Boss).

Out of the 3, the Evo and STI are clearly different cars than the Mustang. If you have any need to use the back seats often (for anything other than bags or little kids), you don't want the mustang. I'm not sure how big the STI's trunk is, but the Evo does not have what I would consider a practical trunk (it's pretty pathetic actually).

I love my Evo, but my next car will be RWD ('15 stingray). AWD was a big consideration last time I purchased a car as we have snowy winters. Also, as I had just graduated, I couldn't afford to buy/maintain 2 vehicles. Had I been in my current financial situation and the current mustang been out in 2008, I might have bought a beater 4x4 SUV / truck and a Stang (no interest in the pre coyote stang).

For the record, I would not recommend an Evo to anyone who isn't going to at least put basic bolt on modifications / tune it. In 2008 it was still competitive stock. Now, quite frankly, there are other cars that I'd prefer for the money. The platform is great - but it should come with something like 360 crank hp from the factory.... and a stout 6 speed trans.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PSUfan1
and a stout 6 speed trans.

Agree with most of what you said, with an emphasis on the above...

One more gear would make it a decent commute daily driver...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 09:51 AM

What other vehicles would u rather have for the money?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Camenskill247
What other vehicles would u rather have for the money?

In the under 40k range there is not a whole lot to be had new.

If you want to go the used route, the M3, IS-F and CTS-V are all suitable as well.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:07 PM

The m3 and others are better then the evo for speed? And reliability
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

had a 2013 STi, engine started to lose compression in one of the cylinders and traded in for 2014 EVO MR. Evo just handles so much better than STi even stock. I put about $10k in to handling and suspension in the STi and my evo was still better when it was stock. The new STi handles almost as well as Evo allegedly but still has the same motor since 2004. I would drive both back to back and see which you like better. Keep in mind 2015 Evo loses Recaros. If you go with the STi, I would not recommend doing any power mods besides a catback exhaust for warranty reasons.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by nvmaddog
This is real bias right here...
Not really, given the laundry list of cars I have owned. Perhaps best car ever is too strong, but it's certainly the best car I've owned.

93 5.0
99 Cobra
01 Cobra
97 Vette
04 Cobra
08 STi
10 GTi
11 5.0
11 Tiguan
14 EVO GSR
14 EVO MR
02 SLK32 AMG

<shrug>

Pound for pound this is the most fun car I've owned. Handling is out of control and I can't wait to add some power and see what it can really do.

Quick Reply: Buying a new car next week! Need some advice.