Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need some advice please, alignment? camber? spacers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AWDSON
Thanks I was thinking 20 mm spacers to , and I have not got an alignment since lowering the car. You think that would fix the camber issue?
TLDR: There is very little that you can do to your suspension that doesn't require an alignment as the final step.

Take it to a reputable shop and have them fiddle with the camber and see what you can get out of it. Do a few quick searches on the forum regarding ideal alignment specs. IIRC, the general rule was that the front should be -1 more negative than the rear on these cars and you should try to get 0 toe all around (this won't be a problem in the front, may be a problem in the rear).

There are many on this forum more qualified than me to to answer this question. I didn't lower my stock suspension, I removed it and added coils. I'm not sure what the exact adjustment range is that you should expect with the stock eccentric bolts up front (I believe they can be flipped for more negative camber).

For what it's worth, when I installed my coil-overs, I went to sears the next day (my local sears is pretty cool FWIW) and was able to get under the car on the lift with the mechanic doing the alignment. We adjusted the rear first to 0 toe while trying to keep negative camber as low as possible (ideally I wanted -1 but didn't have the adjustment range to get there). Then we just adjusted the front to be 1 degree more negative. Toe was 0 in the front too, but given that it's adjusted with the tie rod, there isn't a range issue.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ddawg1130
lol to modding the car with absolutely no idea what you are doing.
Originally Posted by AWDSON
LOL to your pointless input. Go be a troll some where else!
Several of us have been quite rude to you, but it wasn't pointless rudeness. If you did not know that any mods to the suspension require an alignment, then you didn't know enough to be modifying your car safely. Maybe "no idea" is an overstatement, but please take away from all this the fact that an alignment is always needed. cheers
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PSUfan1
TLDR: There is very little that you can do to your suspension that doesn't require an alignment as the final step.

Take it to a reputable shop and have them fiddle with the camber and see what you can get out of it. Do a few quick searches on the forum regarding ideal alignment specs. IIRC, the general rule was that the front should be -1 more negative than the rear on these cars and you should try to get 0 toe all around (this won't be a problem in the front, may be a problem in the rear).

There are many on this forum more qualified than me to to answer this question. I didn't lower my stock suspension, I removed it and added coils. I'm not sure what the exact adjustment range is that you should expect with the stock eccentric bolts up front (I believe they can be flipped for more negative camber).

For what it's worth, when I installed my coil-overs, I went to sears the next day (my local sears is pretty cool FWIW) and was able to get under the car on the lift with the mechanic doing the alignment. We adjusted the rear first to 0 toe while trying to keep negative camber as low as possible (ideally I wanted -1 but didn't have the adjustment range to get there). Then we just adjusted the front to be 1 degree more negative. Toe was 0 in the front too, but given that it's adjusted with the tie rod, there isn't a range issue.
Thank you getting spacers and an alignment today!