Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need some advice please, alignment? camber? spacers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice please, alignment? camber? spacers?

Hello ,

So I just installed the H&R lowering springs in my 08 EVO X and love the drop. I am having some trouble with the camber it seems like its leaned in, in the rear and the front. So did I do something wrong with the install for this to happen,or is this common? What can I do to fix this ?

Also I dont like how the wheels look pushed all the way in , I want the wheel to extend out flush with the fender if that makes sense, would a spacer help this or did I do something wrong? If so what size, brand , spacer would I have to get ? Does a spacer affect the ride at all ?

Here are some pics, Hope you guys can help. Thanks

Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Did you have an alignment done after you dropped it? If so, what were the camber specs as left? It does seem like there is a lot of camber in the rear. As far as spacers go, +15 or +20 should both work without an issue. I have +25 spacers on mine all around but I'm not slammed and on kw v3 coils with stock size tires / stock gsr rims (conti DWS tires). That same configuration would probably have issues if you were running tires that were wide for their size (and you'd need some fender work). I also needed to trim/mold my front fender liners in specific areas to deal with rubbing. +20 should get you an aggressive look without the need for fender work (still might need some liner work in the front but nothing hard to do.

Last edited by PSUfan1; Aug 19, 2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
lol to modding the car with absolutely no idea what you are doing.

follow the advice of the person before me.

I don't get how people modify expensive cars without some basic research or understanding of what they are doing.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ddawg1130

I don't get how people modify expensive cars without some basic research or understanding of what they are doing.
And yet you have the perfect opportunity to explain what is going on

What you need its a camber kit. A vehicles suspension doesn't just have an upward travel, but also an inward travel the more the suspension is traveled into the wheel well to prevent rubbing and a whole lot of other things that I won't get into.

A camber kit will correct your tire slant inward to a more tolerable degree rating of 1 or 2 degrees of negative camber. (it will tilt the top of the tire outwards)
Old Aug 20, 2014, 03:04 AM

+1 on what was stated above with camber kits. That will correct the issue no problem. Although I'm pretty sure that getting camber kits is an alternate solution.

I am pretty confident that the rears can be adjust to positively (somewhere around -1.0, which is better than what it looks like right now) just by adjusting the stock eccentric. My car was lowered on springs and I was able to achieve around a -1.0 camber in the rears just by doing an alignment from what I can remember.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Com'on. Be nice. It's not like he or she confused the water-temp display for a warning light.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gotkamote
+1 on what was stated above with camber kits. That will correct the issue no problem. Although I'm pretty sure that getting camber kits is an alternate solution.

I am pretty confident that the rears can be adjust to positively (somewhere around -1.0, which is better than what it looks like right now) just by adjusting the stock eccentric. My car was lowered on springs and I was able to achieve around a -1.0 camber in the rears just by doing an alignment from what I can remember.
Yeah - for some reason I didn't think people were using camber kits for basic drops on springs with the X. IIRC (and I'd have to check my alignment specs), but I believe I'm running ~ -2.5 in the front and -1.5 in the rear. I was initially worried that this amount of camber would really eat up my tires. That being said, after ~12,000 miles they seem to be wearing pretty evenly (obviously they are a hard compound tire). In any case, there appears to be a lot of - camber on the OPs rear. I agree that he can probably get it down to a more reasonable amount with the stock adjustment.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Com'on. Be nice. It's not like he or she confused the water-temp display for a warning light.
HAHAHA. I didn't even realize that.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

I lowered my car on h&r springs and did notice that the wheels were angles in but an alignment should fix that. Don't quote me on this but I remember reading somewhere that it can only be adjusted so much otherwise you'd need camber kit but I doubt you need it unless you are slamming your car. +25 should get you a fairly aggressive look but you may need fender work for that. My current wheel setup is 18x10.5+15 and I had the rears rolled. stock is +38 so +25 to that would bring it out quite a bit. Goodluck!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by PSUfan1
Did you have an alignment done after you dropped it? If so, what were the camber specs as left? It does seem like there is a lot of camber in the rear. As far as spacers go, +15 or +20 should both work without an issue. I have +25 spacers on mine all around but I'm not slammed and on kw v3 coils with stock size tires / stock gsr rims (conti DWS tires). That same configuration would probably have issues if you were running tires that were wide for their size (and you'd need some fender work). I also needed to trim/mold my front fender liners in specific areas to deal with rubbing. +20 should get you an aggressive look without the need for fender work (still might need some liner work in the front but nothing hard to do.
Thanks I was thinking 20 mm spacers to , and I have not got an alignment since lowering the car. You think that would fix the camber issue?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:14 PM

LOL to your pointless input. Go be a troll some where else!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by galantman03
And yet you have the perfect opportunity to explain what is going on

What you need its a camber kit. A vehicles suspension doesn't just have an upward travel, but also an inward travel the more the suspension is traveled into the wheel well to prevent rubbing and a whole lot of other things that I won't get into.

A camber kit will correct your tire slant inward to a more tolerable degree rating of 1 or 2 degrees of negative camber. (it will tilt the top of the tire outwards)
Okay so you are saying a camber kit opposed to an alignment ? or both ?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by PSUfan1
Yeah - for some reason I didn't think people were using camber kits for basic drops on springs with the X. IIRC (and I'd have to check my alignment specs), but I believe I'm running ~ -2.5 in the front and -1.5 in the rear. I was initially worried that this amount of camber would really eat up my tires. That being said, after ~12,000 miles they seem to be wearing pretty evenly (obviously they are a hard compound tire). In any case, there appears to be a lot of - camber on the OPs rear. I agree that he can probably get it down to a more reasonable amount with the stock adjustment.
So how would I adjust it ?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
HAHAH you are SO funny!! Internet points to you!!!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by kevinlambchops
I lowered my car on h&r springs and did notice that the wheels were angles in but an alignment should fix that. Don't quote me on this but I remember reading somewhere that it can only be adjusted so much otherwise you'd need camber kit but I doubt you need it unless you are slamming your car. +25 should get you a fairly aggressive look but you may need fender work for that. My current wheel setup is 18x10.5+15 and I had the rears rolled. stock is +38 so +25 to that would bring it out quite a bit. Goodluck!
Thank you

Quick Reply: Need some advice please, alignment? camber? spacers?