Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is the turbo xs "tbe" a real turbo back.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the turbo xs "tbe" a real turbo back.

I've waded through threads talking about fitment and build quality and sound, but I can't find the answer to this question. Is it a true turbo back exhaust? All the pictures I see show a test pipe a mid pipe and the axle back section. Does this kit come with a downpipe too? If not, the title is misleading. A true turbo back exhaust has a downpipe. Hence the TURBO part of the name. Otherwise it's a downpipe back exhaust.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:12 PM

Not sure if this will help but I have a turbo xs widemouth downpipe sitting in my closet. I'm not sure if they still make this piece or not but I bought it with the full exhaust setup I got on here.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 01:06 AM

So they do make the downpipe. .. yet all the pictures of the system do not include this piece. I put a downpipe on my mazdaspeed6 years ago. It was probably the best bang for the buck. Picked up an easy 30awhp.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Seigisama
So they do make the downpipe. .. yet all the pictures of the system do not include this piece. I put a downpipe on my mazdaspeed6 years ago. It was probably the best bang for the buck. Picked up an easy 30awhp.
It's not the same with the X - the downpipe won't gain you much with the stock turbo. It's also a PITA to install (compared to the other exhaust components.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:31 AM

So then the stock downpipe doesn't have cats in it? I haven't crawled under there and looked yet. Downpipe on a turbo mzr you have to unbolt the front engine mount and loosen rear mount. Then remove the transmission torque mount, jack the engine up and rock it forward to get the stock dp out. Doubt it's any harder than that.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Nope - it doesn't house the cat. The cat is on the next section of pipe immediately downstream of the downpipe. The first O2 sensor is towards the bottom of the downpipe. The good news is, the cars do respond well to a free flowing aftermarket exhaust, and removing the cat is easy. It's just that the difference between a full turbo back exhaust replacement, and one that replaces the cat and cat-back section aren't much different performance wise on a stock turbo car. Not saying don't do the DP, but I personally wouldn't do it until I did a turbo swap (and then do it at the same time).
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Seigisama
So then the stock downpipe doesn't have cats in it? I haven't crawled under there and looked yet. Downpipe on a turbo mzr you have to unbolt the front engine mount and loosen rear mount. Then remove the transmission torque mount, jack the engine up and rock it forward to get the stock dp out. Doubt it's any harder than that.
I never did that when I did my downpipe. I destroyed the post O2 threads though like almost everyone else. Thank god the pre didn't do that. Also went through an O2 socket because I broke one trying to get the post O2 loosened up.