Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is the SST on Evo X reliable

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
I'm about to hit 118000 miles in my 2010 MR
I only changed the TRANS fluid and filter once at 59k miles when the boltons were installed. 350whp 370wtq mustang
She's the most dependable car I ever had! Honest!!!
You're overdue for a change, every 35k is recommended. Glad the car is running great!
Old May 3, 2015, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
I downshift to a stop and put it in neutral after 2nd. I sometimes throw it into first if I need to brake fast or I am hauling *** through a corner.

Interesting yours is jerky, mine after warming up in S-Sport is very smooth...
Hmm I think jerky is the wrong word. It's just that at lower RPMs you feel the shift a little more than sport and normal mode. So you have it in S-Sport right? How do you shift back to neutral without going through D? If I'm in 2nd at low RPMs and I shift to neutral, the car will automatically downshift to 1st when I pass D because of S-Sport.
Old May 3, 2015, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

After driving an Evo 8 for over 9 years I moved to an 2014 MR because I was tired of daily driving manual in rush hour traffic. Initially the car and the transmission felt smooth. Now I hear whining noises from under the hood and the SST is jerky on downshifts to 1st , particularly in Normal mode. Unless I drive spirited I keep the car in Normal mode which is pretty much most of the time. I find that using Sport or S Sport is jerky in daily driving and shifting at 3K. I want to take
The car to the dealer because the mechanical noise and chassis vibration coming from downshifts to 1st is quite annoying now. I also noticed that up shifts from 1st and sometimes second feel like the clutch maybe slipping. Overall I think the transmission is really good especially when considering the price of the car, but I feel like it could have been better calibrated. It's not fair to compare it to PDK or a newer Audi because you pay so much less for a Mitsubishi , but if I knew what I know now I would probably get a manual, I just wish we had a 6 speed ! Still happy with it though and very satisfying when you get some really good 1-2-3 shifts.
Old May 4, 2015, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvilDoesIt
Hmm I think jerky is the wrong word. It's just that at lower RPMs you feel the shift a little more than sport and normal mode. So you have it in S-Sport right? How do you shift back to neutral without going through D? If I'm in 2nd at low RPMs and I shift to neutral, the car will automatically downshift to 1st when I pass D because of S-Sport.
Push stick to the right then up to neutral... It's one fluid motion.

I do notice the shifts in 1st and 2nd when the car is still a bit cold, but once warm it is almost imperceptible difference to sport. Normal is creepy smooth but is hard on the clutches so I don't use it ever anymore after speaking with Kozmic.
Old May 4, 2015, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by giumela
After driving an Evo 8 for over 9 years I moved to an 2014 MR because I was tired of daily driving manual in rush hour traffic. Initially the car and the transmission felt smooth. Now I hear whining noises from under the hood and the SST is jerky on downshifts to 1st , particularly in Normal mode. Unless I drive spirited I keep the car in Normal mode which is pretty much most of the time. I find that using Sport or S Sport is jerky in daily driving and shifting at 3K. I want to take
The car to the dealer because the mechanical noise and chassis vibration coming from downshifts to 1st is quite annoying now. I also noticed that up shifts from 1st and sometimes second feel like the clutch maybe slipping. Overall I think the transmission is really good especially when considering the price of the car, but I feel like it could have been better calibrated. It's not fair to compare it to PDK or a newer Audi because you pay so much less for a Mitsubishi , but if I knew what I know now I would probably get a manual, I just wish we had a 6 speed ! Still happy with it though and very satisfying when you get some really good 1-2-3 shifts.
Did you ever change your transmission fluid when you got it after 1-3000 miles? That removes the breakin debris and is highly advisable.

I have 22k and my transmission is crazy smooth. I would take yours to a dealer as that is very very abnormal. Especially if you drive around in normal mode.
Old May 4, 2015, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by giumela

I have 40K miles on my 2011 MR. Drive it hard but all street and auto/Sport.
Zero problems, very smooth transmission on mine. Just general oil and filter every 6K miles or so. I would get it checked.
Old May 4, 2015, 09:38 AM

This is exactly what I do but when I'm in S-Sport it'll downshift when I pass through D.
Old May 4, 2015, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

This is exactly what I do but when I'm in S-Sport it'll downshift when I pass through D.
Just do it faster :x

I had the same issue now it's one fluid motion and it never catches me and starts going nuts.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:33 AM

My Evo jerks a tiny bit when I shift in S-Sport. In Normal and Sport it slips the clutch to make gear changes more smooth right? So jerky shifts are good? When stopping at a light or stop sign, should I downshift to 1st, just press the brake and let the car downshift or just put in neutral and coast to a stop?
Mine feels the same in S-Sport.

I downshift to a stop and put it in neutral after 2nd. I sometimes throw it into first if I need to brake fast or I am hauling *** through a corner.

Interesting yours is jerky, mine after warming up in S-Sport is very smooth...
I do the same for down shifting/throwing it in neutral.

Even after warming up however, I still get some "jerkyness" especially from 1-2 shift.

As napalm mentions below it's a very very quick fluid motion from manual to neutral. Think of it as driving a true manual, you're hauling *** and going through gears at red-line.

I do notice the shifts in 1st and 2nd when the car is still a bit cold, but once warm it is almost imperceptible difference to sport. Normal is creepy smooth but is hard on the clutches so I don't use it ever anymore after speaking with Kozmic.
I usually notice the "jerkyness" at much lower RPM's. Shifting at about 2700/3000 vs. 4500+. Seems like when i'm really laying into, it becomes quite smooth. Again, this is primarily for the lower gears.
Old May 4, 2015, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't changed the oil at that interval as it wasn't recommended by the dealer or AMS when I called them. Going to take it to the dealer though to have it checked out. Hopefully they won't say it's normal or make up some reason that implies it's normal. Will keep you posted

Did you ever change your transmission fluid when you got it after 1-3000 miles? That removes the breakin debris and is highly advisable.

I have 22k and my transmission is crazy smooth. I would take yours to a dealer as that is very very abnormal. Especially if you drive around in normal mode.
Old May 5, 2015, 09:12 AM

Mine shifts smoothly at 3-4k, and a little jerky if I shift at 2.5k under more gentle acceleration. Also, sometimes I hear a grinding sound if I apply light throttle when at 1500-2000RPM in any gear above 1st (usually when I have it in manual and forget to downshift). What could that grinding sound be, and is it causing damage?? 2010 X SE with 22k. Never been raced/modded, aside from a CBE.
Old May 5, 2015, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
usually grinding and transmission in the same sentence is usually never good lol
Old May 5, 2015, 12:53 PM

Yeah, that's why I'm a bit concerned... But no grinding if I'm over 2k or so, and no issues or unexpected/unwanted behavior - even at WOT. Just wanted to check and see if it was a typical SST thing, or if it could be early signs of an issue? Happens almost 100% of the time during low RPM acceleration, and I let off throttle and downshift as soon as I hear it...

Turbo swap this weekend, so now would be a great time to find out lol.
Old May 5, 2015, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Well not that its cheap but if your gonna be shooting for big hp numbers then you might as well send the trans out and have the clutches upgraded. Or you can just try some fresh fluid and see if that helps. But i think you will get some kind of warning light once there is a real problem and it needs to be replaced.
Old May 5, 2015, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Corrupter
Yeah, that's why I'm a bit concerned... But no grinding if I'm over 2k or so, and no issues or unexpected/unwanted behavior - even at WOT. Just wanted to check and see if it was a typical SST thing, or if it could be early signs of an issue? Happens almost 100% of the time during low RPM acceleration, and I let off throttle and downshift as soon as I hear it...

Turbo swap this weekend, so now would be a great time to find out lol.
I tested this out this morning and low RPM shifting is still pretty smooth for me. I may 'feel' it more but it's not like a big jerk, and there certainly is zero grinding.

Quick Reply: Is the SST on Evo X reliable