Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Opinions on Cobb Accessport?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Cobb Accessport?

hi.
So a buddy of mine recently purchased a cobb accessport v3 for his X and installed it on his car. He's running a stage 2 map and his car has a cat back exhaust and intake. Mine has similar mods. Anyways, his car was a whole lot more faster than mine but he said it was peaking at 28 psi, which is too much in my opinion.

SO, is having the accessport worth it even though it's notorious for overboosting?
Anyone have any bad experiences with an accessport? Opinions?

The closest tuning shop to my area is backed up for the next 3 months so I was thinking about purchasing one to hold me over until then.

Thoughts?
Old May 30, 2015, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Just get a open source tune.
Old May 30, 2015, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Very simple solution if you're overboosting on the off the shelf maps - run the LWG version of the map

I would suggest getting an A/F gauge and get your car professionally tuned - either in person at a dyno or via an etuner.

If you have an MR I might suggest going openport as you have some SST specific tables and logging capabilities that aren't available via the accessport

Originally Posted by Jakee
hi.
So a buddy of mine recently purchased a cobb accessport v3 for his X and installed it on his car. He's running a stage 2 map and his car has a cat back exhaust and intake. Mine has similar mods. Anyways, his car was a whole lot more faster than mine but he said it was peaking at 28 psi, which is too much in my opinion.

SO, is having the accessport worth it even though it's notorious for overboosting?
Anyone have any bad experiences with an accessport? Opinions?

The closest tuning shop to my area is backed up for the next 3 months so I was thinking about purchasing one to hold me over until then.

Thoughts?
Old May 30, 2015, 06:34 PM

TBH, it is only good for logging and switching maps.

I wouldn't even use it for monitoring your car or using OTS map.

There is no way to monitor AFR without a dedicated AFR gauge, which imo is most important thing to watch for a tuned turbo car.

I would skip it and buy dedicated gauges for more accurate reading, unless , again, you want something for logging and switching maps.
Old May 30, 2015, 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pass, just go open source. They're really not worth the high pricetag at all.
Old May 31, 2015, 09:25 AM

I have yet to use it on the Evo, but coming from a Subie and talking to my tuning shop, We both agree its a nice purchase. You can datalog, switch tunes on the fly, monitor many things, check/clear any CELs and much more.

Obviously any pro tune is better than an OTS tune, but it will get you close until you can get a pro tune, not to mention, my tuner says me enjoys people having the AP when he tunes, he can then upload multiple maps onto the car (normally the normal and LWG one) so you can switch between them if need be (really nice if you live in an area like I do with extreme winters and summers)
Old May 31, 2015, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Volkey
Pass, just go open source. They're really not worth the high pricetag at all.
This
Old May 31, 2015, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
On a GSR, sure, it's 'OK'. On an MR? Hell no, and that's from the best MR tuner in the country.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
On a GSR, sure, it's 'OK'. On an MR? Hell no, and that's from the best MR tuner in the country.
Just for my knowledge,

Why not?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoNo0b
Just for my knowledge,

Why not?
Because of the SST transmission. The Cobb really isn't configured to accommodate it is my understanding. My tuner told me not to get one at all as it would be a waste of money <shrug>.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Because of the SST transmission. The Cobb really isn't configured to accommodate it is my understanding. My tuner told me not to get one at all as it would be a waste of money <shrug>.
+1 on this. The AP is horrendous for the MR's and SE's. I literally had nothing, but PROBLEMS with mine. Uninstalled it and went Open Source. Magically the car run like a champ. Every other SST I've come in contact with that has used the AP has the same issues: high idle, random gear changes, funky and harsh shifting, random loss of even or odd gears.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 07:03 PM

I disagree with just about everyone here.

I run AP on my Evo and haven't had a single problem. Stage 2 tune with a dp back exhaust, and intake. Not a single flaw. And every time I've had an issue or thought to have been having an issue, I've called them guys and they've been more than happy to look at my data logs and talk to me about everything.
I will say though, I do have an afr gauge that I do watch as well. But other than that, top notch product and even better customer service.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kelogg

I run AP on my Evo and haven't had a single problem. Stage 2 tune with a dp back exhaust, and intake. Not a single flaw. And every time I've had an issue or thought to have been having an issue, I've called them guys and they've been more than happy to look at my data logs and talk to me about everything.
I will say though, I do have an afr gauge that I do watch as well. But other than that, top notch product and even better customer service.
Not saying it is a bad product, but it is bad for the MR. On the GSR it is a fine modification if you want to go that route and is very trouble free. I had many great years using a Cobb Accessport and have nothing against them. I actually had one ordered for my MR when my tuner told me to cancel it if I could. (Because I have an MR)
Old Jun 4, 2015, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by kelogg

Obviously you didn't read or understand we're talking about the SST models. Completely different animals. There's a reason why the most reliable SST tuner in the country says to avoid it for our models. Myself and people I personally know have had nothing, but issues when it comes to the SST and the AP.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 05:39 AM

I have the Cobb access port v3 and I like it but in my opinion it's not worth the $500. The ots maps do help and increase power in my opinion but if your gonna get one, get a used one. I see them unmarried on eBay all the time for a lot cheaper. Also, the over boosting can be corrected by purchasing an after market boost controller like grimspeed or the Cobb and also by using a lwg map which sucks you have to buy something else but it's a good upgrade anyway.. Mine will boost to about 26 psi with the lwg stage 2 map. I recently picked up a used Cobb ebc but have yet to install it. I like it but wish I had bought it used. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth....

Quick Reply: Opinions on Cobb Accessport?