Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

cobb ap v3 question

Old Jul 13, 2015, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy cobb ap v3 question

I have a 2k mile 2014 GSR and had cobb ap in it. Set it to stage 1 SF with intake and catback. AFR reading sits anywhere between 10 and 11.9 while cruise and idle, but when wot it usually go down closer to 10-10.5. Is this normal for it's idle and cruise afr readings on the cobb AP? I know it's not accurate compare to aem wideband gauges but just a question on the cobb ap side.

What should the normal AFR reading suppose to be for cruise, idle and wot?

Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2015, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by boyvang
I have a 2k mile 2014 GSR and had cobb ap in it. Set it to stage 1 SF with intake and catback. AFR reading sits anywhere between 10 and 11.9 while cruise and idle, but when wot it usually go down closer to 10-10.5. Is this normal for it's idle and cruise afr readings on the cobb AP? I know it's not accurate compare to aem wideband gauges but just a question on the cobb ap side.

What should the normal AFR reading suppose to be for cruise, idle and wot?

Thanks
10 - 10.5 is super rich at wide open throttle. Get a wideband and confirm this asap. If it is ditch the ots map and get a protune. On pump gas you can run between 11.3 and 11.7 afr at wot depending.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
cruise and idle- 14.4-15.2
wot- 10.8-11.5

imo
Old Jul 13, 2015, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
I'd get a protune and use the AP for data logging and such. Sorry, but the Off The Shelf tunes are too liberal to allow to be run at any elevation that I just don't like them for long term use.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you running the Cobb SF intake or a different intake?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by R Lar
Are you running the Cobb SF intake or a different intake?
No, I'm running ets intake system and cnt catback... I'm just wondering why my cobb ap v3 doesn't even show anywhere close to 14 at idle or cruise... Wot goes to around 11-11.5ish..
Old Jul 13, 2015, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Bhsj13
cruise and idle- 14.4-15.2
wot- 10.8-11.5

imo
^^^This.

OP, I encourage to you get a protune instead of a Cobb OTS tune, as Napalm_Enema has mentioned above. Those Cobb OTS tunes are no good.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

No, I'm running ets intake system and cnt catback... I'm just wondering why my cobb ap v3 doesn't even show anywhere close to 14 at idle or cruise... Wot goes to around 11-11.5ish..
Um..probably because you're not using the parts designed for the tune you are running?

Get a protune.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
hmm i have a cobb ots map and i have never had any problems with it. Been running it for about 3 years now. But you do have to adjust it for your intake you have. That might make a difference for you! But of course a protune would be best or even and etune would help as well!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
hmm i have a cobb ots map and i have never had any problems with it. Been running it for about 3 years now. But you do have to adjust it for your intake you have. That might make a difference for you! But of course a protune would be best or even and etune would help as well!

Just curious what your afr reading on the your ap is if you remember. I know protune is going to be a much better solution but I'm just focusing why the afr on the ap is off by so much.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
last data log i ran it was hovering around 14.1 at idle or so and then under wot it would be about 11.0-11.5 so it pretty much was spot on. I know if you have an intake on it there is adjustment your supposed to make to compensate for it. They have a tutorial on it on the cobb web site. They are also a sponsor on here and im sure if you ask them and send them a data log they could help you out.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Just curious what your afr reading on the your ap is if you remember. I know protune is going to be a much better solution but I'm just focusing why the afr on the ap is off by so much.
Because you are running a different air intake which allows more air in than the part they designed the tune around that you are running?

AFR = Air Fuel Ratio

Without proper tuning for the part you will never see the AFR ratios you are expecting because of the non-standard aftermarket part.

I would put your stock air box back on and run the stage 1 tune without intake. I bet your AFR 's would be much better and you could see what the car felt like then and if you wanted to hold off on the intake until you can get a proper tune.

My .02
Old Jul 16, 2015, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's also talking about the AFR readings on the COBB, not from a wide-band...

Ignore the AFR readings on the COBB, they are using the narrowband o2 sensors and ECU which is based on voltage, and extremely inaccurate. You're probably just scaring yourself more than anything by looking at it.

COBB has confirmed you can run ETS intake with the SF Intake map, but you should still scale using their calc tables. You shouldn't notice anything bad with that setup. I am running Stage 2 93 map with ETS Calc tables on my setup which is just ETS Intake & COBB Turbo Back. No issues at all, runs great.