Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs M3. How do they compare?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old Jul 25, 2015, 02:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stripeknight
They really dont in any way. M3 is a couple pay grades above.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

M3 cost is more than twice as much and less than half the fun to drive around town. Track is different story.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo
M3 cost is more than twice as much and less than half the fun to drive around town. Track is different story.
Why would an M3 be less fun to drive around town considering the fact that its powerband is so much broader...
Old Jul 25, 2015, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Why would an M3 be less fun to drive around town considering the fact that its powerband is so much broader...
I agree having owned a few m3's, now I have never owned a evo X but my evo 8 is a real fun street car. The m3 is a great street and track car in their own but do cost a few of these $$$$.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
I don't really see a comparison. Two totally different cars. AWD vs RWD and a 4cyl turbo vs V8. They're in two totally different leagues.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just personal preference from owning both in a big city. The bigger powerband it what makes it less fun. Guess I just prefer the turbo smacking you in the head and the all wheel grip. I will say this though, the m3 made me feel like an adult and the evo has me checking the rear view for cops every 10 seconds lol.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 08:49 AM

The M3 is more fun in just about every way. Unfortunately the used market for M3s, even going back to 2001, is still pretty competitive for something clean.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Slipped6th
The M3 is more fun in just about every way. Unfortunately the used market for M3s, even going back to 2001, is still pretty competitive for something clean.
Not sure how you think it's more fun?! A few close friends own/owned M3's and I've driven. I'd still pick either one of my Evo's, especially my IX, over a M3 in terms of a fun car to drive spiritually.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This comes up all the time.

The fun factor is the almost identical (for different reasons). I know because both cars are in my garage right now.

Reliability wise, I'd take a newer Evo over an older M3 though. (e46)

Like what was mentioned above, older M3's still hold their value very well and it is hard to find an unmolested one these days. The better deal to be had is probably the Evo as well.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 09:25 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just sold my F80 M3 and can comment. The M3 is excellent in terms of interior room and fast car. The problem as follows.

1. Pretty fast but no feel what so ever in steering.
2. Throttle profile all suck and comfort mode is best but some funky artificial curve. The evo throttle is not great but at least is all wheel drive so you don't kill yourself when the lag kicks in.
3. The car feels larger than what it is due to the long wheel base. It feels like an old 5 series size.

Maybe not the best example but just think a tunned up impala SS cop car that can run faster lap times than the evo. Do you think that will be fun to drive. Maybe a few burnouts but that gets old fast. I'm more about steering feel, how the car points in, braking, throttle the how nimble the car feels making it more desirable to drive.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gtr
I just sold my F80 M3 and can comment. The M3 is excellent in terms of interior room and fast car. The problem as follows.

1. Pretty fast but no feel what so ever in steering.
2. Throttle profile all suck and comfort mode is best but some funky artificial curve. The evo throttle is not great but at least is all wheel drive so you don't kill yourself when the lag kicks in.
3. The car feels larger than what it is due to the long wheel base. It feels like an old 5 series size.

Maybe not the best example but just think a tunned up impala SS cop car that can run faster lap times than the evo. Do you think that will be fun to drive. Maybe a few burnouts but that gets old fast. I'm more about steering feel, how the car points in, braking, throttle the how nimble the car feels making it more desirable to drive.
Right...but we are talking "street car". A bmw is a far better street car than an evo. Evos are NOT fun unless your killing it, which is illegal.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:20 PM

m3s are in another league in terms of smoothness and civility and then turns into a easier to drive monster on the track (broader power band)

its 0-60 isn't as high if you were to launch control the evo at full power, but in any other scenario the v8 is going to murder your *** off the line. and in the quarter mile the power of the m3 gets you every time.

the evo can and will go offroad and rallycross, the m3 can't. but no one brings an m3 to something like that, if anything m3 drivers will make friend with you so if they want to camping / go skiing you bring the evo
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:23 PM

This questions is so vague...it really depends what M3 you are referring too.

If you are talking brand new...then get the M3 because you aren't going to buy it. You'll lease it for 3 years or 36,000 miles then trade it in for something else.

If you want a car you are going to keep that's new...then expect to pay a premium for the remaining new Evo X's.

If you are talking used...it's preference on what model year. What you want out of the car. And your goals...
Old Jul 25, 2015, 04:06 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Right...but we are talking "street car". A bmw is a far better street car than an evo. Evos are NOT fun unless your killing it, which is illegal.
Yes and no. Where I live the M3 doesn't work in the winter and the front end is too low for anything. Traction control light flashes in the dry and when it rains only comfort throttle works since it has way too much torque for a RWD car. My R8 is more comfortable and way better as a drivers car and only fails in terms of space. The M3 need to be AWD or they really need to tune the car for what the chassis/traction can handle. Porsche is great in producing a balance car. You don't put 16" rotors with 185 size tires. Basically, BMW put more torque than what the car can handle as RWD.

I feel the Evo is the better M3 but I also feel the M2 maybe a better car.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs M3. How do they compare?