Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

T-case or Rear Differential, I hope not both.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-case or Rear Differential, I hope not both.

So last week I had a weird whine on my evo x gsr 2008. I thought I heard the whine coming from the front but when I brought it to the shop, the mechanic saw a hole in the rear diff. I took quick left that week and I heard a noise from the back, as if something gave in (wasn't really abusing the car, it was not that quick of a turn). The car was fine until I exited the freeway. Then I hear a whining noise coming from the front left side of the car (almost like a humming noise), I can't tell for sure because I'm partially deaf on my right ear. Anyway, I asked my friends to drive the car a little and they hear the humming noise from the front as well. Anyway, a day after that whole noise, I brought the car to the shop right away, on the way to the shop, the whine had gotten worse...audible in the 4th and 5th gear, no noise when i'm out of gear. I pulled over to the right lane right away and had the car towed. I didn't want to damage the car more (I knew something was damaged.) I also smelled some kind of oil burning coming in the cabin. I'm a car noob so I don't know how if it was oil transmission or anything)

Anyway, so the mechanic said rear diff...can I also damage something else in the process after driving the car for less than 10 miles (like damaging the tcase) I'm really paranoid, the car has been in the shop and they've ordered a used rear diff for me that is due for install this tuesday. I didn't have to tell the symptoms to the mechanic, he knew that I was experiencing everything I mentioned above, the whine on 4th and 5th, the noise when turning at the slow speed.

Anyway, how could've this happened? I had my ayc pump installed not too long ago at 26k and 30k fluid maintenance was done before 24k miles. Also had clutch installed at 24k. After clutch install, ayc service light appeared and now this.

Mitsubishi changed my ayc pump.

I'm just really paranoid that when I get my car back, it would be broken again =(
Old Sep 7, 2015, 03:20 PM

Bump
Old Sep 7, 2015, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whomever did your clutch job probably disconnected the transfer case lines. Not bad but not necessary. When they put it back together they had to bleed the ayc system most likely to reset the error code. This probably has nothing to do with that. Did you have the fluids changed lately? That would be my curiosity. Did they fill the rear diff properly and transfer case and with the correct fluids? Keep us posted after the diff swap.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ghozt
Whomever did your clutch job probably disconnected the transfer case lines. Not bad but not necessary. When they put it back together they had to bleed the ayc system most likely to reset the error code. This probably has nothing to do with that. Did you have the fluids changed lately? That would be my curiosity. Did they fill the rear diff properly and transfer case and with the correct fluids? Keep us posted after the diff swap.
Mitsubishi changed my ayc pump due to warranty. this was done 3 months ago. then the rear diff failed. mechanic said they will bleed the car after rear diff replacement.

it all started after the clutch replacement

now I'm down 1600 usd, mechanic said used rear diff is viable option, I didn't question him since he knew all my symptoms without me telling him. after reading all the t case stories, it made me really really scared. I daily the car so it's kind of expensive doing rental every day...insurance will not cover anything since it's a mechanical failure
Old Sep 10, 2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by tdusffx
Mitsubishi changed my ayc pump due to warranty. this was done 3 months ago. then the rear diff failed. mechanic said they will bleed the car after rear diff replacement.

it all started after the clutch replacement

now I'm down 1600 usd, mechanic said used rear diff is viable option, I didn't question him since he knew all my symptoms without me telling him. after reading all the t case stories, it made me really really scared. I daily the car so it's kind of expensive doing rental every day...insurance will not cover anything since it's a mechanical failure
Got my car back. Works fine for the most part. But....i heard a hum...while cruising at 40 then it disappears. Happened twice so far. Ugh! Hope its nothing crazy
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by tdusffx
Got my car back. Works fine for the most part. But....i heard a hum...while cruising at 40 then it disappears. Happened twice so far. Ugh! Hope its nothing crazy
You live in Houston, why are you taking your car anywhere other than Kozmic Motorsports? Best with EVO's for hundreds of miles.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
You live in Houston, why are you taking your car anywhere other than Kozmic Motorsports? Best with EVO's for hundreds of miles.
I did take it to kozmic