Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

ETS V2 CBE Back Firing questions

Old Oct 16, 2015, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
ETS V2 CBE Back Firing questions

What is back fire caused by? Yeah I can Google it but why when I have you experts lol. The weird thing is... I installed this exhaust system on my evo x when i was at 12k miles and I did not have ANY back fire until I hit 14k miles. How so? I mean.. it's not a bad back fire. It seriously only happens when I let off the gas and I will hear just 1 pop. That's it. Then it won't do it again for the next 1hr or so. It's weird. I don't mind the back fire I just want to make sure this is not something I should worry about.. I have a ets intake as of now and that's it. Again, it back fires once every 1hr. But sometimes at a real low rpm it will pop twice quietly. Then if I'm crushing at 25mph and I let my foot off the gas it pops once.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
What is back fire caused by? Yeah I can Google it but why when I have you experts lol. The weird thing is... I installed this exhaust system on my evo x when i was at 12k miles and I did not have ANY back fire until I hit 14k miles. How so? I mean.. it's not a bad back fire. It seriously only happens when I let off the gas and I will hear just 1 pop. That's it. Then it won't do it again for the next 1hr or so. It's weird. I don't mind the back fire I just want to make sure this is not something I should worry about.. I have a ets intake as of now and that's it. Again, it back fires once every 1hr. But sometimes at a real low rpm it will pop twice quietly. Then if I'm crushing at 25mph and I let my foot off the gas it pops once.
I'm on my phone typing this and it is sooooooooooo annoying! ! Ugh. I know their is a MTX exhaust that pops like 20 times LOL. Their is a guy in the show and shine section with one. He gets attention lol.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
It's unburned fuel igniting within the exhaust pipe. I have a MAP 02 dump downpipe, ETS test pipe, and ETS V2 quiet and I get all kinds of pops
Old Oct 16, 2015, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

So this is what causes flames correct? The unburned fuel is thrown into the exhaust when someone sits their at a stop light reving then it ignites? Is this preventable? I actually enjoy the popping sounds l. It is not annoying at all. I'm just curious if we can make it pop more or make it completely go away. Or.. it is what it is?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 08:57 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yah, you need a tune. The factory tune runs rich (a lot of fuel, less air). This causes excess fuel to be dumped out.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

My car still pops even with a tune lol. It's not a lot but it does happen
Old Oct 17, 2015, 09:16 AM
EvoM Community Team

Yah it's bound to happen even with a tune. But a tune will get rid of it happening excessively. It's not completely feasible to nail down the AFR in every throttle position for every range.

Least with a little burn, you know it's a slightly conservative tune
Old Oct 17, 2015, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Yah it's bound to happen even with a tune. But a tune will get rid of it happening excessively. It's not completely feasible to nail down the AFR in every throttle position for every range.

Least with a little burn, you know it's a slightly conservative tune
Exactly. Safety first
Old Oct 17, 2015, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. Like i said, it only happens once in awhile.. not to bad. So i'll pass on the tune untill i get my intercooler and UICP.

Is their anything that is recommend before getting a tune? I'm not going mod crazy..
Old Oct 17, 2015, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have both the ETS intake and exhaust too. Still get the pop every once in awhile even with my tune.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 06:44 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
Thanks guys. Like i said, it only happens once in awhile.. not to bad. So i'll pass on the tune untill i get my intercooler and UICP.

Is their anything that is recommend before getting a tune? I'm not going mod crazy..
I'd recommend a 3-port
Old Oct 18, 2015, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3-port and downpipe. I wish I waited to get tuned after I got a DP and HFC.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 09:28 AM
EvoM Community Team

You can get a downpipe if you like, but I don't recommend them if you're sticking with a stock turbo. The gains aren't great for the amount of work that it takes to change it and the risk of snapping a mount bolt. (search for replacing downpipe on Evo X and you'll see what I mean).

Definitely recommend a HFC. If you can, an intake or drop-in as well and UICP.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jayt27
3-port and downpipe. I wish I waited to get tuned after I got a DP and HFC.
Downpipe definitely not needed. Razorlab has already proven that the two best bang for buck mods on the X is a test pipe, a intake, and a boost controller.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a straight ets setup. From ic, down pipe, test pipe, and extreme exhaust. It's COBB tuned and still has some pops every now and then especially when downshifting. I guess it's normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ETS V2 CBE Back Firing questions