Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Please, Convince me to buy an Evo X!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please, Convince me to buy an Evo X!

Newb here. I need some help breaking out of my endless cycle of practicality. I've loved the evo for over a decade, but every time I think about buying one I wuss out and wind up with something more "practical". Its just my personality. Well, its almost time for a new car and I need some support to just man up do it.

I'm 34 years old, married, with 2 kids (4 yr and 4mo). Just need a few of you to tell me that its worth it and that I'm not crazy in my current state of life. And tell me to stop worrying about the stupid things, like the rear seats that don't fold down
Old Nov 7, 2015, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
evo is not practical, dont get fooled by the family friendly sedan look.
It is a hardcore race ready car, even though they put more options for daily driving.

If you looking something more practical for everyday, then you should by the STI. That would be a nice transition from practical to fun
You will be more satisfied, if the practicality is more important than racing on weekends and beyond.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have owned a lot of cars. All fast, mostly German. First time owning anything like an Evo. I was the same way and never made the move until it was announced there would be no more Evos. I admit after getting it I worried I made a bad decision. The interior and light *** doors are tough to get used to. But now, 4 months in, I am really enjoying it. I think that this may be a car that I hold onto and just buy something else in addition. Make the move. Its a fun car, and if you're like me, you want a new one and well, there aren't going to be anymore new ones relatively soon.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
evo is not practical, dont get fooled by the family friendly sedan look.
It is a hardcore race ready car, even though they put more options for daily driving.

If you looking for sonething more practical for everyday, then you should by the STI.
You will be more satisfied, if the practicality is more important than racing on weekends and beyond.
Is the STI more practical? Serious question. When I was looking at the Evo I didn't even consider the Subaru based on looks alone. Just curious, always like reading opinions here. Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
yes, definitely. Has a foldable rear seats, has a lot bigger trunk, has a better interior, somewhat better Daliy drive via suspension and lower tq delivery. Also has a 6 speed manual, which means lower cruising rpm. etc.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
yes, definitely. Has a foldable rear seats, has a lot bigger trunk, has a better interior, somewhat better Daliy drive via suspension and lower tq delivery. Also has a 6 speed manual, which means lower cruising rpm. etc.
You should be a salesman for Subaru, haha! Jk. Thanks for the info.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by smokeyrogo
Newb here. I need some help breaking out of my endless cycle of practicality. I've loved the evo for over a decade, but every time I think about buying one I wuss out and wind up with something more "practical". Its just my personality. Well, its almost time for a new car and I need some support to just man up do it.

I'm 34 years old, married, with 2 kids (4 yr and 4mo). Just need a few of you to tell me that its worth it and that I'm not crazy in my current state of life. And tell me to stop worrying about the stupid things, like the rear seats that don't fold down
Fantastic car, spoil yourself and enjoy. Most fun car I've had and I've had a lot of performance cars.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
You should be a salesman for Subaru, haha! Jk. Thanks for the info.
Eh, hold up there, the STi also has a problem prone engine that is in dire need of a refresh. If you shop Subaru, hit up the WRX, or wait for the new STi with the new engine.

A lot of EVO guys here moved from Subaru to here for the more reliable to add power and just more reliable in general, car.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Eh, hold up there, the STi also has a problem prone engine that is in dire need of a refresh. If you shop Subaru, hit up the WRX, or wait for the new STi with the new engine.

A lot of EVO guys here moved from Subaru to here for the more reliable to add power and just more reliable in general, car.
Thanks. No plans to go the Subaru route. I like the Evo. I'd go German before I went Subaru. I didn't know about the problematic engine, good to know.

Evo sounds reliable from what you guys say. Glad to read you confirm that even more. Only thing I've been reading seems to be clutches going fast.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey if you want a more mature X get the touring package MR. 6 speed sun roof heated seats, oh and i have mine for sale in york pa what a coincidence =p
Old Nov 7, 2015, 06:42 PM

Whoa, didn't expect to be recommended an STi

I always new the Evo wasn't the most practical vehicle in the world, but I still see it as more practical than a coupe. So, I guess I am not really asking if the Evo is practical - I'm guess I'm just curious if there are any family men out there that regret buying and Evo and using it as a daily driver.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 07:53 PM

I have two kids although one now 24. LOL. But anyway, I was in your spot but a bit older, late 40's, and decided to buy a mustang GT. As soon as I got it, I thought my gosh, why did I wait so long to buy a car that was fun. But then that car settled in to be something that was slightly impractical, because it goes nowhere in the snow, and I had a bad experience with a winter car. I traded the GT in and got an evo, and it is THE perfect balance in my opinion between impractical, and practical.

I see you live in the NE with snow. This car is insanely fun in the snow if you have winter tires. It's almost more fun in the winter than in the summer.

I say go for it !

Kevin
Old Nov 7, 2015, 08:19 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo is a proper sports car. Drivers car only 2nd to cars twice it's price. STI are junk and every year I see cut cost. Forged to steel or plastic. It as fast but the driving precision is not there. It's like comparing a corvette to a Porsche GT3.

With kids why not get a Porsche Macan? Great driving CUV. If you can go smaller the new Golf R or Focus RS maybe fun but I think it'll be too small. The main problem with the evo is probably the trunk size.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would write down what you want in your car, and what you actually need in your car. Do you need/want awd or can you do with RWD or FWD. Does it have to be turbo? Also, with each car you interested in write down costs associated with the car, and any bad/good reviews of it. Also, does it have to be new or can you do used(year or two etc). Can you afford that particular car(not just payments, upkeep etc.).
And the main thing to consider, will it be wife approved!
Other than that there are a plethora of cars out there that can fit both practicality and still have that sportiness you desire: WRX/STI, Ford Mustang eco boost, Ford Fiesta ST/Focus ST, VW Golf R, Kia Optima Turbo, Chevy SS, BMW's, Evo MR/GSR, Honda Civc Si.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Thanks. No plans to go the Subaru route. I like the Evo. I'd go German before I went Subaru. I didn't know about the problematic engine, good to know.

Evo sounds reliable from what you guys say. Glad to read you confirm that even more. Only thing I've been reading seems to be clutches going fast.
Clutches only go fast if you add too much power, or if you are too hard on it by launching it. Honestly you 'can' launch these cars, but I think these cars are more about autocross and power into and out of turns. If I wanted off the line power I'd get a Mustang... So yeah, it depends how you drive it. With sane driving and stock or just a reasonable bit more you would more than likely have the standard life for your clutch.

All comes down to the driver in the end.

That being said, that's one option, the GSR. The downside to that car, to me, (I had a 2014 GSR then a 2014 MR back to back), is the GSR has very short gears so you are very high RPM when cruising down a highway. like 3000 rpm's at 65 if I remember correctly. That was 'ok', but was a bit much on longer trips. Then I got a 2014 MR after a wrecker destroyed my GSR and it has a 6 speed SST transmission which doesn't have the same issue, but is a completely different animal.

The SST isn't an 'automatic', but is a dual clutch transmission. This means it shifts incredibly fast, like crazy fast. It's a very fun car in either form. The GSR can take more power for cheaper, the MR costs more to maintain and can't go 'insane levels' of power like the GSR. So if you are going for 500hp, the GSR would be the way to go. If you want to stay stock or there abouts, then either car would be great to own you just need to see which you like better.

If you drive the MR, be sure to put it in S Sport mode. You push the mode switch up once, then once more but hold it up for about 5 seconds. You'll see 's-sport' mode light up in the main console. Now drive the car with the paddle shifters, and when you are curious for what the car can do, put it in auto mode and punch it. (the most fun and the way I drive my car all the time is in s-sport manual mode)

Anyway, sorry for the novel, good luck.

Quick Reply: Please, Convince me to buy an Evo X!