Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Made 384/391 DMT Tuned... NO e85!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jared234899
DMT'S tunes are very agressive.....just a heads up.
Aggressive or not your going to go past MBT before you could legitimately hit those numbers with those mods on the stock turbo with 93.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by e_kobz
My advice is to take your car to Chris Carbee and let him sort it out. He'll take care of you
Totally agree, I recently had my car tuned by chris and couldnt be happier. Car drives amazing.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 07:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just gonna put these here..
Attached Thumbnails Made 384/391 DMT Tuned... NO e85!-meltedaf.jpg   Made 384/391 DMT Tuned... NO e85!-sleevetime.jpg  
Old Mar 30, 2016, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I think it was just the dyno numbers got super inflated due to improper data inputs on the dyno computer, honestly I'd get a re-tune and some proper numbers.
The following users liked this post:
Howulikemyevo (May 29, 2016)
Old Mar 30, 2016, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by RBadrenaline
Yeah that's no good. Since your new to this convo who tuned your car and what was the setup/mods? What were you doing when this occurred
Old Mar 30, 2016, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by e_kobz
Yeah that's no good. Since your new to this convo who tuned your car and what was the setup/mods? What were you doing when this occurred
Danny (DMTTuning) built and tuned it.
2 days after tuning thats what happened.
510hp & 400tq @30lbs on pump.

Now getting sleeves and ton more stuff done.. Hope to have her back up and running by July.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Holy **** lol, 30lbs of boost? The scraping on the side shows it obviously lost oil at some point, and detonation could have caused this. If he's running aggressive tunes, he might be pushing on the lean side of the AFR.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 03:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Detonation doesn't directly melt pistons. That is melted. I would say leaned out or compromised head gasket creating intense heat in cylinder.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Pre-ignition or detonation could have caused the heat that melted it though. Or it could have broke something off the piston/cylinder wall and that piece scraping the wall created additional heat.

But I would go with lack of oil and pre-ignition/detonation from a super lean mixture.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 06:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jmichetti
Went on the dyno yesterday made 384 whp and 391 tq. ETS intake , AMS FMIC , 3 port , AMS turbo back , ETS upic.... This was a mustang dyno done at cft in Orlando,FL

Numbers are just numbers, you are not making more than 350 whp DJ or ~330 MD on a proper reading dyno.... the NO e85 tagline leads me to think you really believe you cracked 380 on stock turbo on pump which is just stupid. Also DMT tuning blew up one of the local guys down here, I would watch that tune. If there are better options for tuners why risk it?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RBadrenaline
there is a post on central florida evos on facebook.

care to share your story in there?.. you can leave out who tuned you if you like, the post is to bring out mistakes made so others don't do the same.

thank you.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:18 AM

Originally wanted to be tuned at DMT because they're local to me, but I haven't heard anything good about them outside of the Orlando area.

Both Carbee and Rickerman gave me warning to stay away, with me hearing from a friend about how Carbee won't touch any car that's been to DMT. I assume it's something to do with the risk of the car already having been given a death sentence.

Why not send your tune to Chet or one of the other E-Tuners to see if they could verify everything is running right? Even on a high reading Dyno, the numbers aren't nearly as important as ensuring the car is running within a margin of safety.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 08:54 AM

Ok, DMT Tuning built and tuned my car.

Bottom End:
Bored .20 over, hot tanked, honed, and decked.
CP pistons/ Manley IBeam turbo tuff rods/ kings rod & main bearings/ stock main studs/ stock crank.

Top End:
Decked/ valve job/ GSC beehive kit (springs & retainers)/ new valve stem seals & caps/ buckets etc.
ARP head studs, new OEM mitsu head gasket. Only thing head doesn't have is cams (Stock)

Fuel: Walbro 450/ FIC 1100cc injectors (Stock fuel rail, fpr & fuel lines)

ACT 6puck
Upgraded FP turbo to 25g w/ new exh housing, custom billet compressor wheel, ported etc.
Full bolt ons, wastegate, bov, piping and so on.
New timing chain, plugs, fluids etc. etc. etc.

I had CFT pull my motor & drop it back in, as Danny was too busy to do it. And in return i had to come out of pocket $600!!!! For **** that CFT broke and wouldn't do anything about even after ***** and *****ing to Rolo and the ****ty as tech Travis. They broke my Exh mivec solenoid $200, broke my axle getting it out $200, stripped oil cooler threads to block had to redo with -an fittings & also completely destroyed my shifter cable/linkage which was another $200.

So Danny, disassembled & re-assembled my motor after CFT pulled it.
Once that was done, CFT dropped it back in.
Again, ton of **** missing, loose etc. etc. Danny said he would do a full inspection of the car top to bottom after they finished installing the motor.
Motor was in place and I took it home with a ****ed up linkage etc. Kept it at the house and told Danny that **** wasn't right. On top of the linkage the car made some ticking which with our cars are fairly normal to a point. This issue was odd though.
ONLY between 2-3k it would make the noise then it would disappear. So Danny came by saw broken linkage, took a look at the noise and said it sounded normal but just odd that it would only kick on between 2k- 3k then go away.
So we had my valves relashed, had a new cam cap replaced, had just put in new mivec solenoid.
Still made the noise, i said should we send the head off to Mazworx to be flow tested etc. he said no.
Instead he got on his laptop and zeroed out all the values for mivec & the noise went away. He said that i would only lose maybe 5hp and it will be perfectly fine.....
Then i had to replace the shifter cable/ linkage myself and took the car to Danny's after he confirmed that it would be safe to drive.
He had the car at his house because i wanted a full inspection and make sure things were right.
I met him at his house and we did some street tuning. Verified i had a boost issue which was resolved by upgrading my wastegate.
He drove the car from his house and met me at CFT the next day for Dyno tuning.
So from the time the car was built til i got on the dyno was about 1 week.
Car got dynoed by him on Saturday, and made 510hp & 400tq @ 30psi on pump gas.
He said I was 100% ready to go!
Sunday (my birthday) car drove ok as we took it out to dinner & even the wife drove it home.
Come Monday i go to work then out for lunch. During my lunch break did a 2nd gear pull starting around 4-5k hit 7800rpm then hit it in 3rd, which didnt even make it to 7k before popping and throwing so much smoke that nobody could see down the highway..
Had Danny come take a look at everything and his assumption of what happened was a bad fuel pump relay..? The one i had was the new blew one.. Could have been lots of things.. idk.
Also, dont remember seeing any flashing check engine lights, afr's from what i saw were ok around 11.4-/7 during pull..
ONLY 2 DAYS after tuning it blew up!!!
Mind you, this was MY 2nd pull since i got it back... All the pulls on the car were from Danny on the Dyno and some street tuning.

And im now currently at PRS. They have pulled the motor and disassembled it.
Found TONS of things missing such as hose clamps, bolts, coolant hose to turbo, lose trans bolts and others. forgot to check the timing as we were excited to see what the extent of the damage was... So yeah wish i did..

Now getting sleeved, upgrading entire fuel system and basically bypassing the fuel pump relay and hard wiring the fuel pump with complete new fuel lines/filter, fuel rail, fpr etc.
New oil cooler, oil pump etc. etc.
And PRS backs up their work! Even going to warranty this motor for me 100% for min of 1 year.

I should be getting a sheet of everything they found wrong with the car.
Also haven't checked the tune yet which they will be doing soon.
Will update once i find out more.
But for now, yeah just disappointed..
The following 3 users liked this post by RBadrenaline:
Crosxs (Apr 1, 2016), evo 1768 (May 19, 2017), HatrixMouse (Apr 6, 2016)
Old Apr 1, 2016, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aren't we supposed to use the black relays? I know the blue relays were suggested for a while but I thought they get reverted back to the black ones.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:16 PM

Keep us updated RB. Stuff like this is what makes me anxious about nearly every shop here in FL.

Luckily if anyone else is looking for a tuner. Chris Carbee will be here April 15th tuning in Orlando.

Quick Reply: Made 384/391 DMT Tuned... NO e85!