Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Renting a car to pick up OEM Recaros - Do I need a SUV?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ude Lose
I would drive the fe to get them take out the passenger seat at your house and leave it home.
Once you get to the seats install both of them and put the oem seat on the back seat and drive home.
The FE is in my garage for the winter on summer tires so that wasn't really an option.

I got the seats and you can tell that they weren't used much but there were a couple surprises unfortunately... the plastic harness guides are a little scuffed up on the outward facing sides, but I'm pretty sure I can replace those fairly cheaply/easily. The seats also have some strange marks where you sit that resemble scratches but the fabric isn't ripped at all. I have no clue what to make of this (maybe this is normal wear for these seats) but they are only visible from certain angles that you probably won't see when the seats are installed, so I'm not losing sleep over it.

The one thing that is sort of annoying me is a small dent in the pad where your back goes on the drivers seat (maybe 1cm long), which makes the fabric look folded a bit. It's very small and looks like something might have been pushing on it when he stored it. I'm trying to work it out, but it's really not super visible unless the light/angle is just right.

I'll post pics asap, but they really do look new aside from that one small dent. The fabric is perfect, there are no stains, and no wear on the bolsters. I'm a little annoyed that the seller kept saying they were "mint", but what are you gonna do. I got them for $900, but had to drive 23 hours round trip to get them and also paid for a rental, gas, tools, etc. I can always get them re-finished some day down the road if anything really starts eating at me.

I can't wait for spring so I can install them!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Yea I mean really for 900 buxs for 2 seats I mean you have to go into expecting a few wear marks. But either way they will look 10 times better then the lancer seats!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Yea I mean really for 900 buxs for 2 seats I mean you have to go into expecting a few wear marks. But either way they will look 10 times better then the lancer seats!
Definitely.. I can't wait to get them in the car!

I'd like to get them re-finished with red stitching at some point (possibly leather), but I can always do that at some point down the road if I want to spend the money.

I uploaded some crappy iPhone quality pics if anyone wanted to take a look. I got a couple shots showing the minor issues, but overall (and definitely in certain lighting) they look brand new.

http://imgur.com/a/uPbWY

My wife wasn't too thrilled with them in the middle of the living room, so I had to move them upstairs in the landing for the last few pics lol...
Old Feb 17, 2016, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those look way better than the majority if ones I've seen. Nice buy!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChibiEvo
Those look way better than the majority if ones I've seen. Nice buy!
Thanks man, yea they're in really good shape overall. A few minor things, but luckily most aren't really all that noticeable unless you look for them. The seller said that they had purchased 4 cars for racing, and pulled the seats from all of them within a few thousand miles, so the fabric isn't stretched, ripped, etc.

I'm probably going to order replacement plastic harness guides because I'm ****, and the scuff marks are fairly obvious, but it looks like those are pretty cheap, so no big deal there.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those look pretty good but I'm with you and would be mad that he said mint when they have wear/damage.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Those look good. Some people selling on here for higher price and not as good condition.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hydro334
Those look pretty good but I'm with you and would be mad that he said mint when they have wear/damage.
Yea, I was talking to the guy for almost 2 months about them. I even asked him specifically about the mark that I thought I saw on the back of the driver's seat in his picture on Facebook. After re-reading our conversation, it looks like he never actually acknowledged that question, and just sent me the shipping info that I had asked for instead.

They're definitely in great shape (especially for $900), but I spent another $400-$500 and drove 23 hours to get them, so I was really hoping they would be "mint". If it was me, I would have made sure to take pics showing every mark on them, or at the very least mention the flaws... but that's just me I guess.

On a positive note, Enterprise knocked $50 off my SUV rental because I told them that the windshield wipers didn't work very well in the crap that we were driving through (which is true), so that was nice!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 05:06 AM

Good luck with the seats man, I relate with you as a '15 owner, those stock seats are really an abomination... Can also relate with you when it comes to full disclosure of what you're selling no matter how major or minor an imperfection may be, because I've really particular about this sort of stuff as well

Oh and if you don't mind pleas post up some pics and maybe a little review on them after you've got them installed, I'd love to see how it looks all done
Old Feb 18, 2016, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoeyBoy
Good luck with the seats man, I relate with you as a '15 owner, those stock seats are really an abomination... Can also relate with you when it comes to full disclosure of what you're selling no matter how major or minor an imperfection may be, because I've really particular about this sort of stuff as well

Oh and if you don't mind pleas post up some pics and maybe a little review on them after you've got them installed, I'd love to see how it looks all done
I'll definitely post pics once they're in the car, but I don't have room in my garage, so I have to wait for better weather before I install them. I'll definitely post pics, but it will be a while lol..

I test drove a used 2014 that we got here a couple weeks ago to try out the seats, and they're really nice. I found them to be incredibly comfortable, and although I didn't take any spirited corners with the sales guy in the passenger seat, you can definitely tell that they hold you in place. I'm not sure they would be comfortable for people much larger than me, but they fit me perfectly at 215ish pounds with a 36" waist. It was like being hugged while you drive lol.

You asked how getting in/out was in another thread.. Unlike the 2015 seats that you slide into then turn and slide out of, you sort of fall into these a bit more over the bolster and have to lift your leg over it and sort of step out of the car instead of just sliding out.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by bdean531
I'll definitely post pics once they're in the car, but I don't have room in my garage, so I have to wait for better weather before I install them. I'll definitely post pics, but it will be a while lol..

I test drove a used 2014 that we got here a couple weeks ago to try out the seats, and they're really nice. I found them to be incredibly comfortable, and although I didn't take any spirited corners with the sales guy in the passenger seat, you can definitely tell that they hold you in place. I'm not sure they would be comfortable for people much larger than me, but they fit me perfectly at 215ish pounds with a 36" waist. It was like being hugged while you drive lol.

You asked how getting in/out was in another thread.. Unlike the 2015 seats that you slide into then turn and slide out of, you sort of fall into these a bit more over the bolster and have to lift your leg over it and sort of step out of the car instead of just sliding out.
Not bad, in terms of getting in and out that doesn't seem too bad at all for my frail little body lol, definitely like the sound of a 'racier' seat

Take your time with the pics will look sick when done, looking forward to it and hopefully I get something to replace this atrocious stock ones. They're not even a little tiny bit sporty! just bleh
Old Feb 20, 2016, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by bdean531
Yea, I was talking to the guy for almost 2 months about them. I even asked him specifically about the mark that I thought I saw on the back of the driver's seat in his picture on Facebook. After re-reading our conversation, it looks like he never actually acknowledged that question, and just sent me the shipping info that I had asked for instead.

They're definitely in great shape (especially for $900), but I spent another $400-$500 and drove 23 hours to get them, so I was really hoping they would be "mint". If it was me, I would have made sure to take pics showing every mark on them, or at the very least mention the flaws... but that's just me I guess.

On a positive note, Enterprise knocked $50 off my SUV rental because I told them that the windshield wipers didn't work very well in the crap that we were driving through (which is true), so that was nice!
Congrats on finally getting Recaros!!

They look really great for the price. But I too would be ticked after driving so long, plus the additional expenses and them not being exactly what you expected.
I can't imagine driving almost 24 hours to get them, heck I wasn't looking forward to picking up the set of full leather Recaros that I bought, and that would have only been about a 6 hour round trip.
Luckily the guy I bought them from drove up to me and we swapped in my garage. Retaining heated leather and factory airbags was my main reasons for going with OEM Recaros.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elocinX671
Congrats on finally getting Recaros!!

They look really great for the price. But I too would be ticked after driving so long, plus the additional expenses and them not being exactly what you expected.
I can't imagine driving almost 24 hours to get them, heck I wasn't looking forward to picking up the set of full leather Recaros that I bought, and that would have only been about a 6 hour round trip.
Luckily the guy I bought them from drove up to me and we swapped in my garage. Retaining heated leather and factory airbags was my main reasons for going with OEM Recaros.
Thanks, I can't wait to get them in the car!

Nice find on the leather seats! I won't lie, if I find a pair of leather Recaros on sale somewhere close(ish), I'll probably buy them too and put the cloth seats I have up for sale. The leather seats would really match the rest of the car better, and I could dye the white stitching red fairly easily if I wanted them to match.

Either way, I really want to find a rear seat now, as I can guarantee that my OCD isn't going to like that they don't match once I put them in the car lol.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Photos ,,,,,,,,,, please