Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

$525 for 15k service!? Can i skip some of these things? List & Pictures inside.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
For a street driven car I would do:

Oil = Mobil 1 5W-30 5qt. from Walmart
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W...5-qt./17128876

OEM oil filter http://www.maperformance.com/product...filter-dsm-evo

Transmission = Redline "cocktail" & Rear diff = OEM fluids
http://www.maperformance.com/product...FZNgfgod0S8Hzw

P.S. Get all new crush washers too.

Last edited by nemsin; Mar 24, 2016 at 11:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TxFAkuma (Mar 24, 2016)
Old Mar 24, 2016, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Dude how is he just supposed to inspect the diff and trans fluid...like that made no sense.. If your concerned just do the fluid change yourself its not that hard just grab a fluid pump from harbor freight for like 7 buxs and 2 quarts of mitsu gear oil and one quart of atf fluid and have at it. IMO I wouldn't do the diff and all of that just yet I mean its really not recommended unless you track your car.
you take the plug out of the trans for a sec see what comes out... Pretty simple . Rear diff a piece of clear hose is all you need.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fluid change is all you need. Most of the stuff on the invoice can be done for free at Discount Tire
Old Mar 25, 2016, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gturbo
you take the plug out of the trans for a sec see what comes out... Pretty simple . Rear diff a piece of clear hose is all you need.
That seems silly it would be messy so you might as well just change it.. but w/e to each there own
Old Mar 25, 2016, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
... why?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
bwahhahha. Friday funny
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
bwahhahha. Friday funny
He's joking, right?

... right?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by .M.
I'm sure some will chime in and say to just go ahead and add trans, transfer, and rear diff to your list. It's up to you. I don't see anything wrong with following the 30,000/30 month schedule (for the above fluids). I mean... unless you beat the hell out of/track the car.

If it were me, I would do the full fluid change. I do all my own work so I wouldn't even think about it. Peace of mind.
Just curious, when you do all your own work do you have any method of keeping track of maintenance done in case of warranty work being needed down the road?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 03:17 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Just curious, when you do all your own work do you have any method of keeping track of maintenance done in case of warranty work being needed down the road?
I purchased the X used (2008), so I haven't kept track (no warranty, so no need). The only warranty work I've had done was for the awc pump (recent). Even with bolt on's, they didn't say or ask for anything.

I recently purchased a 2015 mirage, and I did ask about that though. Service manager (knows me well now) told me I can do all my own maintenance. I asked about proof/receipts and he told me none are required. I've already taken the car in for warranty work, and again... they haven't asked for anything.

Just remember every dealer is different so it's best to give them a call and ask.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 03:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
OP,

My recommendation is bite the bullet and pay for the full service this time around. Then learn how to change Transfer Case, Transmission, Rear diff, and motor oil yourself to keep up with the expected maintenance so that you can do it much cheaper in the future.

All of these things are very easy to do, but $500.00 is a pretty good number coming from a stealership and i'm sensing some hesitation in your text.

At least this way you know it's done right. For next time, change fluids every 30,000 miles with oem fluids. This is how the car will be happiest.

-pal215
Old Apr 8, 2016, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by .M.
I purchased the X used (2008), so I haven't kept track (no warranty, so no need). The only warranty work I've had done was for the awc pump (recent). Even with bolt on's, they didn't say or ask for anything.

I recently purchased a 2015 mirage, and I did ask about that though. Service manager (knows me well now) told me I can do all my own maintenance. I asked about proof/receipts and he told me none are required. I've already taken the car in for warranty work, and again... they haven't asked for anything.

Just remember every dealer is different so it's best to give them a call and ask.
Interesting, thank you. Not too many Mitsubishi dealers around, and the one local one here is TERRIBLE. Morons on top of morons.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 05:48 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Interesting, thank you. Not too many Mitsubishi dealers around, and the one local one here is TERRIBLE. Morons on top of morons.
I hear ya. The local dodge dealership requires customers to have written proof of fluid changes by ase certified garages... if not done by them. So like I said. Every dealer is different.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by .M.
I hear ya. The local dodge dealership requires customers to have written proof of fluid changes by ase certified garages... if not done by them. So like I said. Every dealer is different.
Thats too far! I am just going to pray I never need anything while I have a warranty.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
bwahhahha. Friday funny
So the guys too cheap to get the maintenance done (just like some of you cheap *** evo owners) and hes too lazy to even google it (seeing a trend here) and wants everyone else to tell him what he needs for his car . Sound familiar?

Last edited by 3gturbo; Apr 9, 2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Wish you were in NJ.
Take your car to Iveytune. There's a couple of decent shops up in North Jersey. I took mine to R/T Tuning and paid 367 to have all my fluids changed
The following users liked this post:
CaptainCrunch (Apr 25, 2016)

Quick Reply: $525 for 15k service!? Can i skip some of these things? List & Pictures inside.