Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

$525 for 15k service!? Can i skip some of these things? List & Pictures inside.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
$525 for 15k service!? Can i skip some of these things? List & Pictures inside.

Hey guys, my dealer wants $525 for the 15k service and i need to know what i can skip.

Basically i am NOW just planning on the oil change & filter change, rotate tires, redo the align (for free because they didn't adjust the steering wheel correctly the first time).

So.... what is the things on this list that i NEED to do for this 15k? Do i NEED to replace the manual trans fluid? Do i need to service the transfer case?

I am not much of a mechanic but if it is a must on the minor stuff then it should not be a problem. I figured.. most of this crap is "inspect" this and that... god only knows if they actual do it.

Let me know what you guys think... please. thank you. It says Lancer on the headline but it is for the evo x. Anyone know when the next service mileage is?

Old Mar 22, 2016, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can do most of that very cheap. would recommend you do all of the fluid changes
Old Mar 22, 2016, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Replace all fluids? So. . Just the oil and manual Trans fluid?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
Replace all fluids? So. . Just the oil and manual Trans fluid?
transfer case and rear diff. at least thats what i'd do
Old Mar 22, 2016, 05:10 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm sure some will chime in and say to just go ahead and add trans, transfer, and rear diff to your list. It's up to you. I don't see anything wrong with following the 30,000/30 month schedule (for the above fluids). I mean... unless you beat the hell out of/track the car.

If it were me, I would do the full fluid change. I do all my own work so I wouldn't even think about it. Peace of mind.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
he doesnt know proper procedures 525 isnt bad to not blow up your car
Old Mar 22, 2016, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
he doesnt know proper procedures 525 isnt bad to not blow up your car
I don't know proper procedure for this vehicle. That's why I am here. So you are saying I should do everything and others are saying don't do everything. I am not paying $525 for this.. I am asking what do I NEED to do.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 05:53 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Your to do list is fine IMO. I don't see a problem if you want to wait on the trans, transfer and rear diff. It's recommended at 30k/30 months as I posted above. Unless under severe conditions. Some may disagree since it's new. That's what I was trying to say above.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 06:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The drive train fluids are supposed to be changed after the initial 1200 miles, and then every 30k for normal service, or 15k for severe service after that initial change. if they haven't been done yet you need to the trans, transfercase, and both fluids in the rear. One side of the rear diff is gear, the other side is the ATF that the AYC clutch packs sit in.

I highly doubt the car needs an air filter with only 15k miles on it.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
I don't know proper procedure for this vehicle. That's why I am here. So you are saying I should do everything and others are saying don't do everything. I am not paying $525 for this.. I am asking what do I NEED to do.
Some of the procedures such as filling the tcase are not that simple and many people have screwed it up. For example a simple mistake of not running oem fluid in the tcase and your buying a $3000 tcase see what I mean? Look at the fluid yourself if it looks bad change it if your not sure google and compare.... I would just have them do the tcase if I were you. Its $86 in parts and 388 labor thats a bit high no you dont need all that stuff. Change your own oil always.

Last edited by 3gturbo; Mar 22, 2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Bloomington Mitsubishi appears to be 23 miles away from Modern Automotive Performance (MAP). http://www.maperformance.com/

Skip the dealer and take it to MAP, they know their stuff and will hook you up.
Modern Automotive Performance  
Address: 9800 Hemingway Ave S, Cottage Grove, MN 55016
Phone: (651) 348-8811
Old Mar 23, 2016, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Get an oil and filter change, that's it.

Inspect your own engine air filter, if it is dirty, replace it yourself.

There, your list is complete. Like others have said above, I'd do the T-case at 30k.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
3gturbo

Some of the procedures such as filling the tcase are not that simple and many people have screwed it up. For example a simple mistake of not running oem fluid in the tcase and your buying a $3000 tcase see what I mean? Look at the fluid yourself if it looks bad change it if your not sure google and compare.... I would just have them do the tcase if I were you. Its $86 in parts and 388 labor thats a bit high no you dont need all that stuff. Change your own oil always.
Dude how is he just supposed to inspect the diff and trans fluid...like that made no sense.. If your concerned just do the fluid change yourself its not that hard just grab a fluid pump from harbor freight for like 7 buxs and 2 quarts of mitsu gear oil and one quart of atf fluid and have at it. IMO I wouldn't do the diff and all of that just yet I mean its really not recommended unless you track your car.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nvmaddog
Get an oil and filter change, that's it.

Inspect your own engine air filter, if it is dirty, replace it yourself.

There, your list is complete. Like others have said above, I'd do the T-case at 30k.
Seems like this is the most logical advice. I mean.. it's only 15k and it does not get on the track.

Thank you all for the advice. Other fluids will be for the 30k.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Buying a performance car and skimping on general maintenance is not a good idea. At the very least learn to change ALL the fluids yourself.

Quick Reply: $525 for 15k service!? Can i skip some of these things? List & Pictures inside.