Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

First service on my final edition, any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First service on my final edition, any recommendations?

I'm approaching 1000 miles on my X. Wondering if any body had some input or tips. I am going to do a full inspection and change the oil and filter. Been taking it easy on her so far. Haven't pushed it past 6k rpm but a couple times. Anything I should pay extra attention to? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by IANSFOX
I'm approaching 1000 miles on my X. Wondering if any body had some input or tips. I am going to do a full inspection and change the oil and filter. Been taking it easy on her so far. Haven't pushed it past 6k rpm but a couple times. Anything I should pay extra attention to? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Change the oil and filter.

Actually, Mitsu should be doing it for free.
The following users liked this post:
IANSFOX (Apr 27, 2016)
Old Apr 27, 2016, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah first one is free.
IANSFOX (Apr 27, 2016)
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
First free one is dino oil. So have to pay for synthetic.
IANSFOX (Apr 27, 2016)
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
They did mine, without saying anything then at the end tried to charge me for it and I just said I didn't authorize that so I got away with one!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
First free one is dino oil. So have to pay for synthetic.
Really? I specifically asked the service manager at my dealership to make sure it would be synthetic, and he told me that they only use synthetic on Evos no matter what. For some reason, my 2nd oil change is also free, and they even gave me what was left in the last bottle in case I needed to top it off ever (I guess you end up with 1/2 bottle leftover once you fill the car).

The guys at my dealership seem incredibly nice, and have been super helpful so far with anything I've needed. The Service Manager has me email him directly to set up appointments for anything I need so that he can make sure we schedule it on a day that he can have his best techs working on it. He really seems to love these cars, and wants to make sure he knows exactly who touches it.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
^ ^^^ MOST and i mean MOST Mitsubishi dealerships have ****ing idiots that work there. Trust me. They are all retarded. They will say they use conventional oil and the evo does not need synthetic oil and argue about it like its better for the car or something.. stupid *** morons. anyway, careful when going to the dealer for the oil change and be sure to keep your receipts otherwise they will magically void your warranty if something breaks because you dont "have proof" of any services done. they love making up BS.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bdean531
Really? I specifically asked the service manager at my dealership to make sure it would be synthetic, and he told me that they only use synthetic on Evos no matter what. For some reason, my 2nd oil change is also free, and they even gave me what was left in the last bottle in case I needed to top it off ever (I guess you end up with 1/2 bottle leftover once you fill the car).

The guys at my dealership seem incredibly nice, and have been super helpful so far with anything I've needed. The Service Manager has me email him directly to set up appointments for anything I need so that he can make sure we schedule it on a day that he can have his best techs working on it. He really seems to love these cars, and wants to make sure he knows exactly who touches it.
Yeah, really. Its what corporate said and the dealer. Sounds like your dealership is nice, unlike the idiots over here. They say a lot of things and never follow through.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it yourself if you can. Not really sure what you want checked out. The car is brand new.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Use the first free oil + filter change at a Mitsu dealer. Afterwards I'd find a mechanic shop or performance tuning shop that specializes in imports/Mitsubishis for future maintenance and service.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by donny_utah
Use the first free oil + filter change at a Mitsu dealer. Afterwards I'd find a mechanic shop or performance tuning shop that specializes in imports/Mitsubishis for future maintenance and service.
This 1,000 times over.

If I could do it again I think I would change my tranny fluid early before say 10k. I did it right at 20k and they said it seemed pretty mucked up. Mind you I have been driving stick for 15+years and have never launched the car. And the fluid change did seem to make it a tiny bit smoother.
donny_utah (Apr 28, 2016)
Old Apr 28, 2016, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Changing oil is not rocket science. If dealership is convenient (and you don't want to do it yourself) then have them do it.

Keep all records. maintain records if you do it yourself, this will help with any warranty claims if they are needed. However, I had plenty of warranty work done without any records so it's not the end of the world.

Transmission fluid is fine for a long time, no need on earth to change it at 10k miles. If you want to, then fine, but no harm in going the recommended time. I've tried oem diaqueen, redline cocktail, and mt90 in the transmission. Currently just run MT90. Oem diaqueen is the smoothest of all the oils, but mt90 works well if you track the car on hot summer days.

Rebuild transmission is the only real thing that helps the notchiness. Though I wouldn't recommend the cost just cause you don't like notchiness.

Last tip, bring your own oil to the dealership for oil changes, you'll save money. Walmart sells full synthetic mobile one 5w30 for like $25 for 5 quarts. Dealer will charge you $45 for the same quantity of oil.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 08:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
At 1k miles, it's a good idea to change: engine oil, trans fluid, tcase, and rear diff (gear oil side). Get all the break in metal out of the diffs and trans, same as the motor. We did this on both of my friend's X's when they got them in 2014, you would be surprised how much metal is already on the magnet in the first 1k miles.
CaTaSTrophiK (Apr 28, 2016)