Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Help plss. I'm a newbie

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
IMO that 850+hp AMS package is overpriced. Plus it doesn't upgrade the transfercase, transmission, or rear diff. Turn key reliability my ***. Have fun blowing up your drivetrain
lol.

The problem with this comment is the implication that there is a reliable setup in existance. The GSR 5-speed has proven to handle those high hp levels just fine. The t-case is more a failure dependent on the driver, not the power. Don't launch the car and you'll be fine.

The rear diff will hold you back if taking aggressive corners. However most people who go for stupid high HP levels are not the type that drive aggressively in any direction but straight forward, so usually isn't an issue.

I have yet to see many evo x engine build cars with owners who are satisfied and stick around. Most people get fed up, most cars continue to have issues. The AMS kit is one of the few kits that gives you the best possibility of having a product that works. Rest of the drivetrain is up to you to sort out, doesn't mean what they are providing you isn't the most reliable solution.
The following users liked this post:
Lightsaber (May 24, 2017)
Old May 11, 2016, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ddawg1130
Don't launch the car and you'll be fine.
"In terms of application, the AMS TCX Package is simply a great all-around performance package for any EVO X enthusiast who plans to focus mostly on Drag Racing." https://www.amsperformance.com/cart/...x_package.html

So pay AMS $26K+tax for their 850+hp turnkey drag strip build, then go to the track and break your drivetrain on the 1st day. Sounds pro to me.

Last edited by nemsin; May 11, 2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old May 11, 2016, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
IMO that 850+hp AMS package is overpriced. Plus it doesn't upgrade the transfercase, transmission, or rear diff. Turn key reliability my ***. Have fun blowing up your drivetrain
If there is a good driver who knows how to make inputs gradually and pre-load the drivetrain, the drivetrain should hold up fine without a rebuild. Meanwhile, building the drivetrain is not something that only a Grand Sorcerer of the MACUSA can do. Sheptrans and Jacks Transmission should have no problems giving you a fantastic job while doing it economically.

I personally have no interest in high horsepower builds, precisely because it is so difficult to have something reliable at that level. However, if the OP's goal is to have that, then an "overpriced" package from a well-respected powerhouse might be his best bet.

Originally Posted by ddawg1130
I have yet to see many evo x engine build cars with owners who are satisfied and stick around. Most people get fed up, most cars continue to have issues. The AMS kit is one of the few kits that gives you the best possibility of having a product that works. Rest of the drivetrain is up to you to sort out, doesn't mean what they are providing you isn't the most reliable solution.
Well ain't that the godd@%n truth.

So pay AMS $26K+tax for their 850+hp turnkey drag strip build, then go to the track and break your drivetrain on the 1st day.
Extremely unlikely. That will take some unusual skills.

Last edited by Lightsaber; May 11, 2016 at 05:54 PM.
icemann (May 11, 2016)
Old May 11, 2016, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do some research and find a reputable shop. then sit down with them and tell them your goals and I turn they will tell you what you should or shouldn't do based on your budget.
Old May 11, 2016, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off I do agree AMS is Over Priced for something they slap there names on. Yeah the kit there talking about is a good kit but you can build a way better kit for cheaper you only issue with that is you have to know the right sites and the right people. I prefer to go with ETS parts for one they make all there parts and Micheal is a great dude with tones of knowledge as well. For the proper set up you have to get a transmission and Def upgrades for sure. Doesn't matter how you drive at the end of the day **** happens. Go which out a few websites ill post a few below great sites to get the type of stuff you want.

List of sites:

www.extremeturbosystems.com/

www.dsgperformance.com/Evolution-X

http://www.maperformance.com/

Those are good for most things.

Now for your transmission needs:

http://sheptrans.com/product/evo-x-5-speed/

http://www.sspperformance.com/

For a better shift kit "it helps stock is a POS"

http://www.twmperformance.com/

but hey if you want to be like alot of guys on here you can go with AMS:

https://www.amsperformance.com

Also one of the most important things is finding yourself a great tuner who has tuned a car with this type of Hp and Torque very very important.

I would talk to Ivy and see if you could fly him out to you he is by far the best Evolution tuner id say in the US. If you want to play with the big boys and money isn't and issue go to him.

I've been a huge Evolution fan and had one of the first Evolutions X. I have put a lot of time effort into learning as much as i can about buildings and I also have a degree in automotive and I'm a technician as well..

Last edited by icemann; May 11, 2016 at 09:10 PM.
Lightsaber (May 11, 2016)
Old May 11, 2016, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
Extremely unlikely. That will take some unusual skills.
You think its easy to launch an 850+hp evo at the drag strip? Now try that on a stock transfer case and transmission. I would be amazed if you made 3-5 1/4 mile runs without something breaking.
Old May 12, 2016, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cobb stage 2 plus 89 octane will get you to your goal.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MaddEvo_17
I Want to Tune My Car For About 750hp My car is a Lancer Evolution X GSR 2012.
What parts do i need on engine? To a fully built motor? From Turbo to internals and block strengthening? Thankyou
Welcome to the community from Adam at MAP here! I will send you a PM, but ultimately would love to just talk on the phone about all the upgrade paths, choices, budgets, and special things about the platform that will keep you from lots of headaches down the road!

-Adam
icemann (May 12, 2016)
Old May 12, 2016, 11:55 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryEvo
Cobb stage 2 plus 89 octane will get you to your goal.
Old May 12, 2016, 02:54 PM

Your welcome adam!! lol... Once your guys name post up on a form your pretty quick to post back =P
Old May 12, 2016, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by icemann
Your welcome adam!! lol... Once your guys name post up on a form your pretty quick to post back =P
I have some trick sup my sleeve thanks for the shout out haha.
Old May 12, 2016, 03:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
I bet we are all wondering who the OP really is and if he is serious about all this haha!

-pal215
Old May 12, 2016, 07:29 PM

You owe me haha!!
Old May 16, 2016, 12:24 PM

Bring it to your local shop...they helped me out a lot when i first got the car