Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Another noob question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another noob question

I installed an ETS intake in my car. And ever since the RPM needle does not go up steadily anymore but jumps up and then back down. At about 4500 RPM's it will jump up to 6000-6500 then go back down to like 5000. In this video it shows a guy who just installed his intake but his RPM needle goes up steadily. Any advice on what the problem is or how to fix it is greatly appreciated.

Some further background: after I installed my intake my clutch started slipping to the point where the vehicle was not able to be driven. So I replaced the clutch and flywheel and I can drive the vehicle now but the RPM's are still erratic although not as erratic as when the clutch was slipping. They are only erratic when I really push the vehicle. Is the RPM's being erratic and my clutch going out at the same time connected or just coincidence? And how can I fix my fluctuating RPM's to be like in the video and what is causing it?

Last edited by austin_davee; Dec 17, 2016 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Clarification and bump
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
which intake is this? Any intake that does not utilize the stop MAF housing or housing size will require a tune. This may be the issue
Old Jul 6, 2016, 03:38 AM

The intake is an ETS intake and uses the stock MAF sensor.

Last edited by austin_davee; Jul 6, 2016 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Left out info
Old Jul 6, 2016, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Forgive me but its kind of hard to understand whats happening, unless I'm just reading it wrong. Is there any way you can get a video of what you're describing?

From my understanding you're describing what sounds like a slipping clutch if the rpms are jumping.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 07:24 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Sure you hooked up the lines correctly?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
video would help us
Old Jul 6, 2016, 06:40 PM

1. You car says Lancer GTS. I'm sure people here could still help but this is an Evo X section of the forum.

Originally Posted by jakgal04
Forgive me but its kind of hard to understand whats happening, unless I'm just reading it wrong. Is there any way you can get a video of what you're describing?

From my understanding you're describing what sounds like a slipping clutch if the rpms are jumping.
+1 This was my exact same first thought.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 07:28 PM

I upgraded and haven't updated it. I assure you I have an Evo X. I don't have a video. My clutch went out the other day though. I should have it back by Friday. If the RPM'S go up steadily I'll knkw it was a clutch issue.

But for clarification... I am driving the car. I decide to floor it for whatever reason and the car reacts. The needle in the tachometer shoots up to the RPM's mentioned above. Then slips down while I am in the same gear and still giving it gas. Then climbs back up again. Its strange. But if you say it might be a slipping clutch that could explain it because she just gave out.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by austin_davee
I upgraded and haven't updated it. I assure you I have an Evo X. I don't have a video. My clutch went out the other day though. I should have it back by Friday. If the RPM'S go up steadily I'll knkw it was a clutch issue.

But for clarification... I am driving the car. I decide to floor it for whatever reason and the car reacts. The needle in the tachometer shoots up to the RPM's mentioned above. Then slips down while I am in the same gear and still giving it gas. Then climbs back up again. Its strange. But if you say it might be a slipping clutch that could explain it because she just gave out.
That would make sense. Keep us updated. I have a good feeling it was the clutch. If you actually feel the engine rev up and then it goes down and catches again it was the clutch.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by austin_davee

My guess would be your clutch. My X did the same thing when my clutch went bad. The initial torque causes the slip then then grip after a while if the throttle is steady.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 07:19 AM

Bump.