Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

18 Wheeler threw dozen rocks at me! (clunk noise)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18 Wheeler threw dozen rocks at me! (clunk noise)

hi guys,

so the other day, i was driving on the freeway behind an 18 wheeler. the 18 wheeler had to brake suddenly and tossed about 12-20 tiny rocks at my evo!=(

Besides the paint damage, 20 mins after i started to hear a clunk/metal to metal sound coming from around my left wheel. I researched about weird evo x noises and found maybe something lose. idk if it was a coincidence that the sound happened after all the rocks hit my car

real question is what should i look for? the clunk noise only happens in 1st gear on slow speeds and when stopping. any advise please
Old Jul 6, 2016, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I doubt that has anything to do with the noise. I learned to never tail gate and never get within 100 yards of a flatbed or riprap, gravel, dirt even the corn guys won't tarp and it's flowing out pretty good rate. I have a CDL and im guilty of this crap too.

Back when I had my 2005 STI two fairly empty flatbeds from Indiana racing each other down the highway I was stuck behind one lo and behold a rock the size of a cat fell off of his truck and bounced three to four feet in the air several times before making an extremely large clunk against the control arm or skid plate on my 2005 STI! I thought for sure the front end of my car was totally f***** up as that rock was extremely large so I tried to get him to pull over but to no avail so I finally got off the road to discover zero damage whatsoever and even the dealership never found any damage it was very odd and I got very lucky. #rallycar (I never do the hash tag but this story demanded this sort of thing!)
Old Jul 6, 2016, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
You're going to have to describe the noise, frequency, and sound better if you want any help. Could be a rock in the strut. I've seen rocks stuck in tires. Rocks stuck in brake calipers wearing away rotors. You name it.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
If you have full coverage insurance cant you just claim this on there if the paint damage is bad enough and that clunk noise as well?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
If you have full coverage insurance cant you just claim this on there if the paint damage is bad enough and that clunk noise as well?
dont think so. the paint damage is rock chips and that would count as wear and tear
Old Jul 12, 2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by splattj
You're going to have to describe the noise, frequency, and sound better if you want any help. Could be a rock in the strut. I've seen rocks stuck in tires. Rocks stuck in brake calipers wearing away rotors. You name it.

you are right it can be anything. it sounds like metal hitting metal and it is very loud at low speed from 0-10mph. the sound immediately stops after the car is going over 10mph and has no effect on driving.

makes no noise when turning only

im going to remove the front left wheel tomorrow and inspect and spray brake cleaner all over the brakes.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 07:05 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by splattj
This

Sounds like a rock stuck somewhere.