Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need help downshifting

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 05:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Because I have been. 2200-3200rpm is not remotely in the power curve for my car. I don't hit 300wtq until about 4k rpms. So what are you missing here?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 05:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Because I have been. 2200-3200rpm is not remotely in the power curve for my car. I don't hit 300wtq until about 4k rpms. So what are you missing here?
Pretty sure lugging (high load at a low rpm) is about a mechanical disadvantage, not powerband.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 05:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, and your other guy said don't go WOT below 3200 because that's "lugging" the engine. My car makes power almost 1000rpm later than a stock turbo car, and my car does fine at a reasonable amount below 3200.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 05:33 PM

Yeah, and your other guy said don't go WOT below 3200 because that's "lugging" the engine. My car makes power almost 1000rpm later than a stock turbo car, and my car does fine at a reasonable amount below 3200.
Oh, no I never agreed with that lol. We're on the same page there. I just think we're talking about 2 different things man.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 05:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo
Oh, no I never agreed with that lol. We're on the same page there. I just think we're talking about 2 different things man.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by VDubJCabe
There isn't much, if any jerk. I know quite a number of guys that don't rev match and drive modded cars. A good friend of mine dailys his modded WRX, stock clutch at 115km and doesn't rev match. My evo will maybe get 5000km a year. I'm not to worried about buying a clutch lol.
That is... wow. OK.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
The only reason he is banned is bescause he rebuilt an engine for a person on that site, after one of the people that run that site built the engine and did stuff like not tell the customer they were getting a welded together block and not an OEM block. He thoroughly documented their horrible work that he fixed top to bottom and they banned him for speaking out against their shoddy work and overcharging.

More to that story that you don't know, so no, he wasn't banned for anything related to his expertise. If you want to hit him up directly he contributes at boostedforums.net currently and runs a shop out of Utah. www.wtftuned.com

So his information is good, and the statement - high load at low rpm = bad for your engine is accurate.

Good day
I think that story is a great testament to him. Bravo.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

In your opinion who are decent tuners on here?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Yes you need to learn how to double clutch -

Clutch in, put it in neutral
Gun the car up to the RPM's you WILL be in. In your example from 40mph you would rev it to around 4k
Clutch in
Put it in gear
Release gear and start applying gas as you do so

This should be a very quick sequence when you have it down. I can do this in a second or so. Once you get a feel for RPM's at various gears it will get easier.

If you do this when driving, your clutch will last a loooong time.

Good luck and enjoy
Dude what????

1st, what??? LOL

Double clutching was only needed in cars without synchro's. So no, he absolutely does not need to learn to double clutch.

2nd, what???

Your description is just screwy hahaha. I feel like you missed quite a few steps, used the wrong words, and confused double clutching with heal-toeing.

@OP

You should learn to heal toe the downshifts.

To start though, the lazy/easiest way to downshift for a new manual driver is to simply:
1) push the clutch in while you are slowing down.
2) Shift into whatever gear you are going to want to be in when you start accelerating again. So, normally 1st if you are coming to a stop, but if you are taking a slow corner, then maybe 2nd or even third.
3) Then you simply wait until you need to accelerate again.
4) At that point transfer off the brake and onto the gas pedal, rev the engine up a bit to match the speed of the vehicle, and then release the clutch pedal.

The big drawback to this is that you will be stuck coasting for a while with no ability to accelerate suddenly if you need to. So once you get good at the above, then you need to learn to heal-toe downshift:

1) Start to brake, but use your toes to apply pressure on the brake pedal
2) Push the clutch in
3) Shift down a gear
3a) As you are shifting down a gear, pivot your foot so your heal blips the throttle. This will rev-match the downshift
4) Release clutch pedal.

So in one fluid motion that when you get good at it takes no longer than an upshift, you will have downshifted. Done properly this shouldn't shake the car or cause any change in the rate at which you are slowing down. The advantage of this technique is that you will always be in the right gear and can get back on the gas way quicker.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
That's absolutely not what I said, I just merely tried to help someone else by suggesting (accurately) that it's a good rule of thumb to not go WOT (that is pushing your foot all the way down to the firewall) unless you are at or above 3200rpm's.

Not sure how that sage advice is somehow bad? And lugging an engine is flooring it at a high gear at a low RPM. That as well is decent / good advice

The lengths people go to tear others down on the internet is a ****ing joke. I and others just tried to give reasonable advice after decades of driving cars. Are there more than one way to double clutch / rev match? Sure, I even acceded that point and said I was older and I learned a technique that is probably more complex than what it needs to be, but hey, I have a ton of manual transmission cars with LONG clutch lives, so I shared what I know / knew.

So keep being a ***** to other enthusiasts and mis-characterize their posts to make yourself sound better if that's your bit.

I'll keep trying to help others and not be a pile of dick tips while doing so.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 01:59 PM

Got em.

Nah but seriously all anyone can do is offer help/advice. Good sicussion opens eyes both ways. I think that's the only way this forum stays alive is if people continue to offer help/advice.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

That's absolutely not what I said, I just merely tried to help someone else by suggesting (accurately) that it's a good rule of thumb to not go WOT (that is pushing your foot all the way down to the firewall) unless you are at or above 3200rpm's.

Not sure how that sage advice is somehow bad? And lugging an engine is flooring it at a high gear at a low RPM. That as well is decent / good advice

The lengths people go to tear others down on the internet is a ****ing joke. I and others just tried to give reasonable advice after decades of driving cars. Are there more than one way to double clutch / rev match? Sure, I even acceded that point and said I was older and I learned a technique that is probably more complex than what it needs to be, but hey, I have a ton of manual transmission cars with LONG clutch lives, so I shared what I know / knew.

So keep being a ***** to other enthusiasts and mis-characterize their posts to make yourself sound better if that's your bit.

I'll keep trying to help others and not be a pile of dick tips while doing so.
Ok, but you clearly didn't put that much thought into that post. just read it lol. It's not really logical...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ddawg1130
Ok, but you clearly didn't put that much thought into that post. just read it lol. It's not really logical...
I missed one clutch out I think after skimming it. That's how I shift <shrug> it became second nature before I knew a different way to rev match downshift was possible. My parents taught me, and they were old school European so how I do it is probably how they HAD to do it with the old tech they were driving.

This is me - lightning quick
clutch in
neutral
clutch out
gun up RPM's
clutch in
put in gear
clutch out
gas while doing so - bye bye

I do this very very quickly, but have been doing it for 20+ years <shrug>

I DO KNOW that there is a method that was mentioned here that is quicker and works just as well, and there is also heel toe but I've never gotten the hang of that so I don't advertise it personally.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Don't match revs downshifting. Don't really care either. I used to back when I autox'ed but I'm too lazy now 9 out of 10 opportunities to do so.

Other than my first car which was auto everything's been manual. I've had the good fortune to never change a clutch or have a mechanical issue within the trans.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

And I would be completely content with an auto-rev downshifting, nlts manual like the Vette or Camaro have now.

Last edited by moparfan; Aug 23, 2016 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help downshifting