Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2015 Loaded MR or Loaded FE?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moladin
I rarely post here but I want to give my 2c. At the moment I own EVO X GSR, bought it brand-new in 2013 and I have recently bought MK7 GTI DSG as a daily driver. Obviously GTI is no R, but I couldn't justify spending $10k more just for a daily driver car. I will probably just keep GTI stock. I may eventually trade the GTI for the R in a few years, if I get tired of tire squealing being a front wheel drive.

The question is, have you drove EVO X before or know someone that has it? Let me tell you that EVO interior is horrendous compare to MK7. After you drive EVO of the lot you will probably start hearing rattles from somewhere. You will also lose some visibility on EVO compare to MK7. EVO has the ****tiest turning radius of any car I have ever driven. The car is heavy, the MPG is like having a V8.

BUT, EVO X is the most fun of all the performance cars that I have driven, it's better than S4 and 335XI. The mechanical LSD of EVO X is magical. EVO in stock form is under power, but once modded (even lightly), it will be noticeably faster. You can add a lot of power to EVO, but you have to pay to play, 800HP? No problem (drivability will probably be shot to hell though).

I did a lot of research on the Golf R before I bought the GTI, the MQB is a great platform, but 600HP to the wheel? I am not sure if that is possible without some kind of consequences. Golf platform also can't really run wide tires, how much power can you really put down? I think 400HP on R is more realistic. MQB (US) is also known to have problem with carbon buildup, adding more HP will probably accelerate the buildup. If you want to keep the car long term while modded, I actually think EVO has a better chance to survive.

I suggest you find someone kind enough locally that own EVO X and drive around if the dealer won't let you test drive the EVO. EVO is very easy to mod, I ripped my car apart to install and have no trouble putting it back together. Good luck if you have to remove anything in Golf and trying to put it back together.

Thanks for the post. Yeah, I am almost out of steam with all these stealerships, and trying to give me 31k for my KBB 35k trade, and pay close to their MSRP, not happening.

I can tear apart anything. I have had two MK4 R32's, put in an HPA Turbo kit in the first one, and that thing was fun. Until the divorce. I digress. Then I went and had the MK6 R, hated it, bought it for the second ex (I suck with picking good women) and she did not want it after we signed the papers. So, I was left with two R's, and gave her my second stock R32 to trade for a GLK 350.

Anyway, after 3 grueling years of owning the 2012. Modded it Stage 2+ 3 different times. Had APR stage 2+, but it was over-boosting all the time, and then I went with Unitronic and bought their dongle to flash my own car at any stage level, any time, via Uniconnect, that was fun. It had more torque than APR, since it took out my 4-6th gear (clutch slippage real quick, unlike APR), it had torque, but drivability was OEM like, but with more power. It was not horrible. It felt narrower than the MK7 R, and more fun, oddly.

I bought the 2015 R, before the 1st 500 were sold, and it is BLACK (500's were all blue), and I loved it, but had bad luck with it. Had a break up, child custody, then back in court, a minor accident (non licensed driver ran into the side of my rear qtr panel, then I broke apart an OZ Alleggerita curbing after drifting and hitting a curb. Anyway, I tore apart the DS and rear interior, a lot, installing the OEM ROW harness for the Euro LEDs. I helped a guy from Belgium create the US-ROW hybrid install instructions. I love the car. But, if feels like a sloppy pig, not as bad as the MK4, and not as bad as the Evo X, but I am sure the Evo X can out handle it, or I think it can.

Long story short, I am keeping the car/R. My AWE wwitchpath turboback with 102mm black diamond tips arrives tomorrow (was going to sell it) and the new JB1 (I don't need more power), running on the modified stock intake with an aFe drop in.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 08:07 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by comingabriel
No one wants to do it sight unseen.

Unless, you know more than me, PM me if you know a way.

I want the FE.

OBTW: MK4 Cars were with the electrical, if they had it. Every mfg has electrical or whatever issues. No where you wont find a brand without issues.
people have been doing it on these forums for many many years. Since 2003, Southcoast has sold more evos that way via this site than in person.

It is really easy. A) They usually arent test driven. B) yiu choose your color. C) you do a final inspection upon delivery, if it isnt to standards, car goes back. I purchased my '11 that way. Easiest deal i have ever done. But if you are trading that is a different story. I say sell it then talk. If you get into 4 square with a trade in, they can run number circles around a lot of people.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I used truecar. Not a magic bullet at all but if you have a few dealerships around they might actually quote a price that'll work for you. When I went in to the dealer, they briefly tried to pull "the car ain't here/just got sold" thing. I said no problem and I went to leave. They said wait! and said they would get the car for me. The paperwork took a couple of hours and I picked up the car the next day.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 07:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by comingabriel
Thanks for the post. Yeah, I am almost out of steam with all these stealerships, and trying to give me 31k for my KBB 35k trade, and pay close to their MSRP, not happening.

I can tear apart anything. I have had two MK4 R32's, put in an HPA Turbo kit in the first one, and that thing was fun. Until the divorce. I digress. Then I went and had the MK6 R, hated it, bought it for the second ex (I suck with picking good women) and she did not want it after we signed the papers. So, I was left with two R's, and gave her my second stock R32 to trade for a GLK 350.

Anyway, after 3 grueling years of owning the 2012. Modded it Stage 2+ 3 different times. Had APR stage 2+, but it was over-boosting all the time, and then I went with Unitronic and bought their dongle to flash my own car at any stage level, any time, via Uniconnect, that was fun. It had more torque than APR, since it took out my 4-6th gear (clutch slippage real quick, unlike APR), it had torque, but drivability was OEM like, but with more power. It was not horrible. It felt narrower than the MK7 R, and more fun, oddly.

I bought the 2015 R, before the 1st 500 were sold, and it is BLACK (500's were all blue), and I loved it, but had bad luck with it. Had a break up, child custody, then back in court, a minor accident (non licensed driver ran into the side of my rear qtr panel, then I broke apart an OZ Alleggerita curbing after drifting and hitting a curb. Anyway, I tore apart the DS and rear interior, a lot, installing the OEM ROW harness for the Euro LEDs. I helped a guy from Belgium create the US-ROW hybrid install instructions. I love the car. But, if feels like a sloppy pig, not as bad as the MK4, and not as bad as the Evo X, but I am sure the Evo X can out handle it, or I think it can.

Long story short, I am keeping the car/R. My AWE wwitchpath turboback with 102mm black diamond tips arrives tomorrow (was going to sell it) and the new JB1 (I don't need more power), running on the modified stock intake with an aFe drop in.
Holy smoke man, I do hope your luck improve! If not this year then next year! Good Luck!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You want an Evo but think your trade in is worth more because of KBB which no dealer on earth has ever honored, and the Evo costs too much. I get it. Don't need to knock the Evo though. Anyway, good luck with everything.