Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 04:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake pads?

Hello,

Is it normal for my Evo X brakes to start squealing at about 6,000 miles in? I bought the car brand new about 4 months ago and Daily drive it and its just begun to squeal on me now. Is it really time to change the brake pads already? It only squeal at low speed at times.

Last edited by joonvang; Nov 2, 2016 at 04:14 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
The X brakes are really just known to be loud unless your hard on them from time to time.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Spray them off at a car wash then afterwards do some hard braking a few times to grind down a bit of material. Sounds like you have glazed the pads a bit with light braking over time and brakedust accumulation.

Do you ride the brake a lot when driving? Drive with two feet? That can sometimes contribute.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same issue here, I was told by my local community that it's normal. Might lube the pads sometime soon if I can no longer stand it.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Brembo Cars tend to squeak more then conventional brake caliper cars. Probably dust related
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by villajer
Same issue here, I was told by my local community that it's normal. Might lube the pads sometime soon if I can no longer stand it.
It's not really going to help to lube them.

To help with noise, clean your wheels and spray alot of water on the rotors and caliper.

The stock pads are prone to noise. The only permanent solution is to swap them out with a better pad (like Girodisc Magic Pads).. If your pads are squealing really bad at low miles like the OP, they aren't worn out/need to be replaced. It is due to the stock pads and a build up of brake dust..
Old Nov 3, 2016, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ugakirk
It's not really going to help to lube them.

To help with noise, clean your wheels and spray alot of water on the rotors and caliper.

The stock pads are prone to noise. The only permanent solution is to swap them out with a better pad (like Girodisc Magic Pads).. If your pads are squealing really bad at low miles like the OP, they aren't worn out/need to be replaced. It is due to the stock pads and a build up of brake dust..
The only thing that's "better" about Girodisc Magic is that they dust less and virtually no squeal. In terms of braking performance they SUCK.
So if you want quiet brakes, less dust and crappy braking, get the Magic pads.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Dross99_si
The only thing that's "better" about Girodisc Magic is that they dust less and virtually no squeal. In terms of braking performance they SUCK.
So if you want quiet brakes, less dust and crappy braking, get the Magic pads.
Well, this thread is about noise, so.....

And I would argue that Magic pads aren't bad.. They def aren't track pads.. And if someone wanted to use them for that, well shame on them. But for daily driving, I've used alot of brakes, and they're pretty good.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
Well, this thread is about noise, so.....

And I would argue that Magic pads aren't bad.. They def aren't track pads.. And if someone wanted to use them for that, well shame on them. But for daily driving, I've used alot of brakes, and they're pretty good.
What you said is "change them out with a better pad". Girodisc magic pads are in no way better than stock pads. The bite is terrible and they fade very quickly.
Girodisc SS or Ferodo DS2500 would be a "better pad".
Who would put pads on their EVO that perform worse than stock? Makes no sense.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had this problem with my Evo X when it had 5k miles. I literally went to the dealer 5 TIMES! they flushed and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned and it did NOTHING. When i took the stock pads out and replaced them that is when the entire squeaking sound went away and i was soooSOOOOOO happy to actually come up to the stop light and slowly brake instead of slamming on the break to avoid people thinking im driving a cheap *** car.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm up for pads. Was looking at tirerack, anything you guys recommend? Just for daily driving.. less dust would be nice, and no squealing... bite as good to stock?

Akebono's have been good to me before.

Posi Centric Ceramics maybe?

And do I have to change rotors each time like the dealer says? Centric ok for rotors?

Thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

No need to change rotors every time. There are no pads that work as good as or better than stock that don't squeal or dust.
I personally use Performance Friction pads up front and Girodisc SS in the rear, Ti shims all around, stock rotors, SS brake lines & Torque RT700 brake fluid. A little squeal once in a while when extremely cold, but the combo has been working great for me.
The following users liked this post:
CaptainCrunch (Nov 5, 2016)
Old Nov 5, 2016, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Carbotech pads are great mix of quiet and performance hawk as well. Don't change the rotors it's not that big of a change to need that.
The following users liked this post:
CaptainCrunch (Nov 5, 2016)
Old Nov 5, 2016, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dross99_si
No need to change rotors every time. There are no pads that work as good as or better than stock that don't squeal or dust.
I personally use Performance Friction pads up front and Girodisc SS in the rear, Ti shims all around, stock rotors, SS brake lines & Torque RT700 brake fluid. A little squeal once in a while when extremely cold, but the combo has been working great for me.
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Carbotech pads are great mix of quiet and performance hawk as well. Don't change the rotors it's not that big of a change to need that.
Thank you both. Dealer told me I need new pads and rotors at all four corners, with about 17k. Was surprised to hear that. I'll check out if tirerack has any of those offerings. Thanks again.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
I have not tried the Carbotech pads. There are many to choose from..
Which are most aggressive you'd run for DD?

Quick Reply: Brake pads?