Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Drivebelt pulley recall

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 07:11 AM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Drivebelt pulley recall

So about a year ago I had the drive belt and pulley recall done on my 08 GSR. Today while driving to work I noticed a burnt rubber smell. I popped the hood and noticed my drive belt was totally glazed and smelt like rubber. There is also a small squeel when I start the car.

The dealer I took it to wasn't very good for the recall. They said they had the parts and ended up holding onto my car for a week because of delays ect. Should I take it to another dealer and talk to their service guys? Is there some sort of warranty on recall work or am I SOL?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm thinking that you are gonna have to pay out of pocket..

1. It was about a year ago
2. There could be another pulley or something locked up
3. You have a 08

You're in the bay area.. I would avoid dealers and go to a reputable Evo shop..
The following users liked this post:
AJV (Dec 23, 2016)
Old Dec 23, 2016, 09:14 AM
AJV

Originally Posted by ugakirk
I'm thinking that you are gonna have to pay out of pocket..

1. It was about a year ago
2. There could be another pulley or something locked up
3. You have a 08

You're in the bay area.. I would avoid dealers and go to a reputable Evo shop..
Thanks. I think I'll just change the belt and pulleys over the xmas break.

Enjoy the holiday. Thanks for your reply.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion I'd take it back or go to another dealer. I had the same recall on my 08 GSR, got it repaired, and I haven't had any issues since. It's been well over a year since I got mine done. You shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for something that should've been fixed but at the end of day it's up to you. Good luck.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:18 AM
AJV

Originally Posted by brentraby
In my opinion I'd take it back or go to another dealer. I had the same recall on my 08 GSR, got it repaired, and I haven't had any issues since. It's been well over a year since I got mine done. You shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for something that should've been fixed but at the end of day it's up to you. Good luck.
Yeah I'm going to call and just ask. I called another local dealer and they said they have replacement pullies but only the plastic ones. They aren't using the hyundai metal ones. He seemed confused when I told him about it.

And just for the lulz I asked them about timing chain replacement costs. They told me labor only would run about 30 hours which was right around 4k. I knew it would be silly but not that silly.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
My $.02:
Consider doing the Hyundai metal pulley (requires a shim too) and belt yourself. Easy (took <1 hr in the driveway with simple tools) or take pulley to a local garage.

Unless your timing chain stretch warning is on - there is no reason to change it.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 01:54 PM
AJV

Originally Posted by Veronica
My $.02:
Consider doing the Hyundai metal pulley (requires a shim too) and belt yourself. Easy (took <1 hr in the driveway with simple tools) or take pulley to a local garage.

Unless your timing chain stretch warning is on - there is no reason to change it.
Well I was just putting things back together when I noticed the bottom pulley bolt was stripped. Looks like the threads on the block are kinda jacked. I guess whoever serviced this at some point didn't get the bolt in straight. This job and big hands makes it a bit more challenging too.