Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Used Evo shopping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used Evo shopping

Initially I posted this in the sticky at the top, but it looks like that thread is pretty dead and this will get more attention. I might be going to check this one out this weekend. Salesman sent me pics of the engine bay and it looks stock. What do you guys think about the mileage/price?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=161425089

Last edited by jhendrix; Jan 24, 2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a good deal.

When I was shopping I test drove 5 different Evo X's, and I cannot stress this enough... Go drive it before you fall in love. You can tell when you see it in person and drive it, if I was modded and abused.

All 5 of the cars I drove were stock with less than 45k miles and some would pull like a new car and some would lack serious power. They just would not pull like the others.

45k miles is not too high, all depends on how it was driven.

Just remember... People don't spend all the extra money buying an evo to not drive it hard. At least once in a while.

With that said.... It looks like it's in good shape, and for a 2014 that's a good price. If you get there and it looks good, drives good, and shows no signs of abuse/modification. Do it man.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Having just purchased mine last October and having to deal with numerous issues due to a previous owner - keep your eyes peeled for an engine that looks older than the car.

Also check for trace amounts of rust by the hood mounts.

Look to see if all the hose clamps look the same.

Check the condition of the turbo heat shield - if it has dents and looks like it was handled a lot, it most likely was.

Check and make sure the lower bumper covers are all there.

Examine the front wheel liners for wear marks - that will give a wide wheel/drag setup away.

I bought mine blind and have spent thousands of dollars after the fact getting it squared away. Figured a '14 wouldn't have a chance to get jacked up - turns out I was wrong. haha

-asher
Old Jan 25, 2017, 08:30 PM

Have you considered going new?? I was shopping for months for a stock used Evo X and just couldn't find the perfect one. If you are financing and have good credit then you may want to check out a new one! It was nearly the same price for me to get a fully loaded '15 Evo X as it was for a '14 Evo X that was used and 0 options. Mitsu has 0% financing deals on new ones. Now I can drive the Evo in peace every day .

I plan to keep mine stock, but I will definitely drive it with spirit... every time. The percentage of stock, gently driven, used Evos is very low.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 06:56 AM

Thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated.

The last two cars I've owned have been WRX's, and I bought both of them used. My current car has been great, zero issues whatsoever. The first one was a different story. The guy I bought it from was very dishonest, and I spent a lot of time and money getting that car squared away. I do all of my own work/maintenance, and while it was a great learning experience, its not something I'd like to go through again.

I actually test drove another Evo X about two months ago, and while it looked great, it was definitely messed up. I went into that test drive with such high expectations, and the car ran horribly and had zero power. I told the salesman something was seriously off with the car, and he texted me two days later to tell me the car was so screwed up they weren't even going to sell it. I'm hoping to have a much better experience with this one!

I have looked at 2015's, and I'm sure I would qualify for any financing deals they are currently offering. The seats don't bother me too much, and its something I could always change later. The only problem is that the only new one near me is a base model, in the wrong color. There are some nice FE's, but i'm not looking to spend that kind of money right now.

I'm planning on checking out the car tonight, I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 09:25 AM

I searched around the nation when looking for mine new. The shipping was only $500, and it would be about $750 to ship across the country.

I almost bought mine from Renn Kirby Mitsubishi. They had 11 Evolutions on their lot with several good ones to choose from way below MSRP. This was a couple months ago.

I never thought I'd buy a new car, but with a new warranty, 0% APR, and the peace of mind, it was definitely worth it. Now I never have to deal with previous issues and if I sell it, it will be a 1 owner car.

Keep us updated with what you pick up!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Well, those tires are garbage and it doesn't have a GSR spoiler on it so I'd be wary of any claims that it was all stock. Looks like it was "returned to stock" so as Asher said, check the hose clamps, especially at the boost solenoid. The exhaust heatshield is another good one.

With any Evo purchase, I'd recommend a good Pre-Purchase Inspection from a local specialty shop.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 01:57 PM

I forgot I needed to update this:

I went and checked out the car, and for the most part it was really clean. Yes, the tires were junk. I'm not sure if you guys could tell from the pics, but it actually had two different pairs of tires on the front and rear. I told them that I would never drive the car like that, and I would need to buy a new set of tires immediately. They brushed it off like I didn't know what I was talking about, and refused to move on the price. The car also had very light damage on the rear bumper, but again, they insisted the price was non negotiable.

The engine bay was spotless and I couldn't find any signs of modifications whatsoever. Zero marks on hose clamps, heat shields, nothing. The car had a proper trunk swap, and I am a fan of the wingless look so that wasn't an issue.

I ended up walking away because they wouldn't budge on the price, and they offered a very weak number on my trade in. After I left they called and offered a little more for my car, but still wouldn't lower the Evo. I was ready to spend the money, but I just couldn't justify trading in my car for their offer. I considered getting my car appraised at Carmax, but while I was dragging my feet someone else bought the Evo lol. I haven't lost any sleep over it, and my search continues. There is currently another WW 2014 in my area with 13k miles, but the guy is asking $31.5k. Seems a bit steep.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Don't bother with Carmax, you go there when you are on the run from the law and covered in blood. Then maybe you can walk out of there feeling like you didn't just get raped because they will lowball the **** out of you.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhendrix
I forgot I needed to update this:

I went and checked out the car, and for the most part it was really clean. Yes, the tires were junk. I'm not sure if you guys could tell from the pics, but it actually had two different pairs of tires on the front and rear. I told them that I would never drive the car like that, and I would need to buy a new set of tires immediately. They brushed it off like I didn't know what I was talking about, and refused to move on the price. The car also had very light damage on the rear bumper, but again, they insisted the price was non negotiable.

The engine bay was spotless and I couldn't find any signs of modifications whatsoever. Zero marks on hose clamps, heat shields, nothing. The car had a proper trunk swap, and I am a fan of the wingless look so that wasn't an issue.

I ended up walking away because they wouldn't budge on the price, and they offered a very weak number on my trade in. After I left they called and offered a little more for my car, but still wouldn't lower the Evo. I was ready to spend the money, but I just couldn't justify trading in my car for their offer. I considered getting my car appraised at Carmax, but while I was dragging my feet someone else bought the Evo lol. I haven't lost any sleep over it, and my search continues. There is currently another WW 2014 in my area with 13k miles, but the guy is asking $31.5k. Seems a bit steep.
If there is anything I learned after Evo shopping for 3 months.... Evo prices are inconsistent. You could find a Evo x for 26k one day and one exactly like it for 33k the next.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Just get the 2014 WW one. You keep looking for some amazing deal on an exclusive car. In the end you save a couple grand maybe? In the larger scheme of things does it really matter? I'd get the most unmolested one you can find, that 2014 sounds like a good contender, buy it, and be happy.

YOLO within reason friend.