Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Looked at a Focus RS today

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looked at a Focus RS today

I stopped by the Ford dealer to look at the RS out of curiosity. They were asking 10K over retail for a grand total of 50K! I could not get a test drive unless they ran my financial info. I sold my 2013 STI for a 2012 Evo last year! I don't think i could sell my Evo for a RS but never seeing one in person i had to take a look. It is just mind blowing to me that they are asking 50K for these. If it didn't have RS badges I'd swear it was a Focus ST. I'm wondering how the value of those cars will be in 5 years? I'm sure they're great cars but i could have a SWEET Evo for that kind of money.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
You have a better AWD system, a better clutch, and don't have a hideous car, which a Focus is. Be happy lol.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
You have a better AWD system, a better clutch, and don't have a hideous car, which a Focus is. Be happy lol.
Absolutely happy with my Evo. It's ridiculous up in the mountain twisties!
Old Feb 4, 2017, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The RS has all of the ST issues so far except the incurable stumble coming to a stop in neutral. Many of them are getting the 4th gear issue very early. It would be a great car if it wasn't so Murica. The wife's ST is one headache after another. Hatch opening (while driving), stumble coming to a stop, bad panel fitment, seat belts fell apart, when it was new it had several codes come up, I think they disabled them all together. Stay the hell away from ford.

How can Mitsubishi and Subaru have such unique things like AYC,ACD & Subaru DCCD without having to re engineer the system and have recalls? How can Ford a company much larger than Subaru or Mitsubishi Motors screw up a hatch latch? Every car and car manufacturer has its issues but damn.

My 2008 Evolution MR had a few teething issues, recall on the hood latch, reflash, a few other things and the weak timing chain. But the Getrag twin clutch was pretty darn good especially for the time. Still they are a decent gearbox if you maintain it and warm em up.

If if I bought a Focus RS I would want it for about 28k OTD because I know the residual on a Ford is horrid. I would also want a 100k warranty on the whole car with a loaner because I KNOW it's going to be in the shop for about 15-20 days the first year.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 09:38 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Dude, your wife's ST must've really hurt your feelings repeatedly. There's not one American bit in the RS, they come over on a boat.

Two of my friends own these and were early adopters. Neither car has missed a beat in almost 8 months of ownership.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

They have all of the same problems and recalls as a focus st. Ask them if 4th gear ever feels different. At about 20k it will be grinding. Have to look under the car to see the rear main leak and ptu leak. Rear axle seal leaks as well.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
50k asking price?

I can think of several cars I'd buy before I decided purchasing an RS for $50k was a good idea.

-asher
Old Feb 5, 2017, 09:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Used hellcats and older GTR's are around 50k.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6713/overview/
Old Feb 5, 2017, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

You don't need to pay over MSRP you can find RS for MSRP. You could order a base 350 for around 50k.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:46 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueBlurSTi
They have all of the same problems and recalls as a focus st. Ask them if 4th gear ever feels different. At about 20k it will be grinding. Have to look under the car to see the rear main leak and ptu leak. Rear axle seal leaks as well.
"No" from both guys regarding 4th gear feeling different. One has 18k already, the other like 6k. The higher mileage one has grinded 3th and 4th a couple times. No leaks at this time on either car.

Originally Posted by BlueBlurSTi
You don't need to pay over MSRP you can find RS for MSRP. You could order a base 350 for around 50k.
$57k with destination as base 2017. I sure wish I could swing that; there'd be one in my garage right next to the Evo!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
"No" from both guys regarding 4th gear feeling different. One has 18k already, the other like 6k. The higher mileage one has grinded 3th and 4th a couple times. No leaks at this time on either car.

$57k with destination as base 2017. I sure wish I could swing that; there'd be one in my garage right next to the Evo!
im glad he's not having issues! Fourth will eventually just not want to go in at all. Every ones different, my wife didn't notice the 4th gear issue until it got bad, i felt it the first week.

A few cars are having head gasket failure. The head is the largest change from the 2.0 engine, IMO the car was a bit rushed to market.