Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Daily Driver Build - Criticism wanted

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Daily Driver Build - Criticism wanted

So I am doing my own version of this here, please note "moarrrrrr horsepower" isn't quite the goal. Instead responsiveness, good handling, safety, comfort, then speed matters. Handling because I've got curves where I like to drive. (PNW area)

That said, here's what I've done and where I'm going. (Keep in mind I am driving with two children in the back seat every day).

Interior:
Switched the AM/FM radio for the 10.2" sygav android 6: Installed
Backup Camera: PITA Install *grumbling, purchased not installed yet*
Keeping stock seats (cloth interior) because I like seat warmers, though I'm really on the fence about this, significant weight savings
AEM UEGO AFR: Waiting on new testpipe
ProSport Boost Gague: Installed
Rexpeed pillar mount: Installed with 3M 2sided velcro so it looks good, sticks well but can be removed to be installed with different gauges later and easily.
Front Plate installed with 3M 2 sided velcro also
Floorboard LEDs (Car came with this, not exactly my taste but I figured I'd let them stay till they became annoying)

Engine:
Speedcircuit Tune: 91 octane, no corn, no 93, I live on the west coast and finding 93 needs skill and I need to be able to road trip without worry.
UICP: For responsiveness, weight, and vanity: Just ordered
Testpipe: For better breathing: Just ordered
BCS: For better boost control: Installed but needs to be remounted
GReddy Exhaust: Not sure, I like the sound but I want to work on dampening sound: Waiting on wife approval

Other: (All waiting on wife approval lol)
Aluminum 2pc Driveshaft (no one piece, no cf, trying to keep road noise down): Responsiveness
New front strut bar: Drop a little front weight
Air Compressor Delete, if my apartment doesn't need an AC my car doesn't
AMS Lightweight battery
Ohlins road and track
Hotchkis Sway Bars
"Lightweight" Rims, I'll just be grabbing the best price vs weight off the list above to shave that weight
AYC relocation kit
Clutch pill removal: Tuesday
Final Drive to 4.30 (not sure if this is worth it)

Vanity:
Aftermarket Spyder HID headlings (front weight gain :'( +4lbs ): Installing today

Fixes since purchasing: AYC pump was replaced, taking the car in for a *grumble* steering angle sensor replacement today, I should have just cut wire making the dinging sound in the console.

Been reading Chet's Lightweight modifications and admittedly I'm really trying to remove from the front and ignore the rear to try to get more 50/50 but there is just so much less in the front.

Anyways, questions, anywhere else you all would take this? Please keep in mind half of my morning commute has an average speed of 9mph :/ the other half allows for spirted driving and weekend driving is all about the fun especially if it's to the track. I have to be able to sit four people comfortably, be safe for my wife and kids (no airbag removal for me), and be able to drive comfortably 1800miles back home.

Flame, suggest, criticism, love it, give it all to me! I made an agreement with my wife that this car has to last 10 years but I get to do whatever I want to it (within reason, no debt allowed so it'll be a progression of pieces getting added to it which all things considered makes it more fun).
Old Apr 7, 2017, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
just personally, all I'd do is ohlins, a tune and a small handful of bolt ons - but that's just me. I would not remove ac. honestly unless you're racing you're not going to notice a difference with half these things you've listed. ac helps with defog as well, and it has come in more than handy for my drives to autocross sites in the summer
The following users liked this post:
Rasperin (Apr 7, 2017)
Old Apr 7, 2017, 09:04 AM

hmmm, didn't consider defogging, yeah I guess keep the a/c.

The understeer in these cars is real lol, though the ohlins may help with that.

Might not need the drive shaft if changing the clutch pill works.

That said, the need for a navigation system and backup camera are a super need lol, am/fm radio blows vs pandora.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 09:16 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Stay away from final drive unless you're going to do Turbo upgrades. The 4.30 is too long for a factory turbo and you will lose some trap speed that way.

You fix the understeer with a rear sway and suspension. I just did lowering springs and revalve on bilsteins + Perrin RSB on medium setting and I could kick the *** out whenever I wanted. It's worth noting that I did not have the spare in the back either.

This car I will just do no rear spare and coils and see if I can make that work.
Rasperin (Apr 9, 2017)
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep the AC!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
I'd rather lodge a high heeled shoe in my eye after a lady had walked through a lake of elephant droppings and pool acid than add a backup camera to my car.

I have mirrors, thanks.

Don't nanny up your car, just make it more fun with basic boltons and add some Ohlin's and a stereo. Done.

Agreed on dropping A/C that's a waste of time unless you are going full track which it doesn't sound like you are.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
just personally, all I'd do is ohlins, a tune and a small handful of bolt ons - but that's just me. I would not remove ac. honestly unless you're racing you're not going to notice a difference with half these things you've listed. ac helps with defog as well, and it has come in more than handy for my drives to autocross sites in the summer
basically I did a same, and car is plenty for DD..
Intake full exhaust and tune. Everything else is stock power wise.

Ohlins DFV R/T, rims, and tires.

clutch CMC changed to AMS kit .

Car is a mazing DD. and a though cookie for ANY car on road, specially at the twisty's.... lol But still very civilized and good drive around. With the Ohlins it is truly amazing and comfortable ride.
Rasperin (Apr 9, 2017)
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:05 AM

@Robevo, waiting on the stock clutch to burn out to change the CMC. I'm going to cook this clutch like no ones business, I haven't driven a manual since 2010 (I don't include motorcycles it's a totally different operation) so I have had a few burns on steep hills. I'm also going to teach my wife on it. Then once I feel steady handed and it's truly second nature it'll be time to replace it for the long haul.

Did you remove the clutch pill or just leave it in? The operational range of the clutch seems to be the size of my fist unlike my motorcycles where it's basically "you got it or you don't".
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:11 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
Originally Posted by migs647
Stay away from final drive unless you're going to do Turbo upgrades. The 4.30 is too long for a factory turbo .
Originally Posted by blahRus
keep the AC!
/thread.

Also, if it's your daily/family car, a bit of understeer is a GOOD thing. It's safe and a better way for the car to go, once you have pushed it. You don't want the rear end coming around on you when Junior is in the back. And you can pretend you'll never drive like that with the kids in the car, but trust that it's different when they are screaming, "go faster daddy! do it again"
Old Apr 10, 2017, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
/thread.

Also, if it's your daily/family car, a bit of understeer is a GOOD thing. It's safe and a better way for the car to go, once you have pushed it. You don't want the rear end coming around on you when Junior is in the back. And you can pretend you'll never drive like that with the kids in the car, but trust that it's different when they are screaming, "go faster daddy! do it again"
Hahahaha, yeah, they do that and I feel obligated to oblige :P

I remember a phrase I grew up on, oversteer the passenger freaks out, understeer the driver freaks out, the pro shifts and drifts. Then again I grew up on big muscle rwd, lol.

​​
Old Apr 10, 2017, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasperin
So I am doing my own version of this here, please note "moarrrrrr horsepower" isn't quite the goal. Instead responsiveness, good handling, safety, comfort, then speed matters. Handling because I've got curves where I like to drive. (PNW area)

That said, here's what I've done and where I'm going. (Keep in mind I am driving with two children in the back seat every day).

Interior:
Switched the AM/FM radio for the 10.2" sygav android 6: Installed
Backup Camera: PITA Install *grumbling, purchased not installed yet*
Keeping stock seats (cloth interior) because I like seat warmers, though I'm really on the fence about this, significant weight savings
AEM UEGO AFR: Waiting on new testpipe
ProSport Boost Gague: Installed
Rexpeed pillar mount: Installed with 3M 2sided velcro so it looks good, sticks well but can be removed to be installed with different gauges later and easily.
Front Plate installed with 3M 2 sided velcro also
Floorboard LEDs (Car came with this, not exactly my taste but I figured I'd let them stay till they became annoying)

Engine:
Speedcircuit Tune: 91 octane, no corn, no 93, I live on the west coast and finding 93 needs skill and I need to be able to road trip without worry.
UICP: For responsiveness, weight, and vanity: Just ordered
Testpipe: For better breathing: Just ordered
BCS: For better boost control: Installed but needs to be remounted
GReddy Exhaust: Not sure, I like the sound but I want to work on dampening sound: Waiting on wife approval

Other: (All waiting on wife approval lol)
Aluminum 2pc Driveshaft (no one piece, no cf, trying to keep road noise down): Responsiveness
New front strut bar: Drop a little front weight
Air Compressor Delete, if my apartment doesn't need an AC my car doesn't
AMS Lightweight battery
Ohlins road and track
Hotchkis Sway Bars
"Lightweight" Rims, I'll just be grabbing the best price vs weight off the list above to shave that weight
AYC relocation kit
Clutch pill removal: Tuesday
Final Drive to 4.30 (not sure if this is worth it)

Vanity:
Aftermarket Spyder HID headlings (front weight gain :'( +4lbs ): Installing today

Fixes since purchasing: AYC pump was replaced, taking the car in for a *grumble* steering angle sensor replacement today, I should have just cut wire making the dinging sound in the console.

Been reading Chet's Lightweight modifications and admittedly I'm really trying to remove from the front and ignore the rear to try to get more 50/50 but there is just so much less in the front.

Anyways, questions, anywhere else you all would take this? Please keep in mind half of my morning commute has an average speed of 9mph :/ the other half allows for spirted driving and weekend driving is all about the fun especially if it's to the track. I have to be able to sit four people comfortably, be safe for my wife and kids (no airbag removal for me), and be able to drive comfortably 1800miles back home.

Flame, suggest, criticism, love it, give it all to me! I made an agreement with my wife that this car has to last 10 years but I get to do whatever I want to it (within reason, no debt allowed so it'll be a progression of pieces getting added to it which all things considered makes it more fun).
I drove a 94 Miata R for 14 years through summer heat. I suffered for the idea of weight savings - which I'm ok with.

DO NOT mess with your AC. Don't do it.

Rear Vision:
https://pearlauto.com/rearvision

On basic boltons, I never figured out whether people agreed that the UICP is worthy of being changed to get rid of the rubber tube (increased reliability). I think everyone agrees there is no power gain either way.

For navigation, Google maps works fine for me. I also have CoPilot GPS which is full offline with full-North American Maps on my phone. Never been stuck using either option.

Exhaust: I had a Mazda Competition Exhaust on that Miata R. After a three hour ride my head would be ringing. For a true daily driver I would stay with the stock exhaust with test pipe/high flow cat as you desire - maybe a English Racing boost-activated dump-type system?

Last edited by moparfan; Apr 10, 2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 01:42 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
On basic boltons, I never figured out whether people agreed that the UICP is worthy of being changed to get rid of the rubber tube (increased reliability). I think everyone agrees there is no power gain either way.
Yah there are gains across the range, not necessarily peak power.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ts-thread.html