Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 08:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review

I've been having a hard time deciding the direction I wanted to go with my Evo X FE. Most of my builds have been domestic parts (ETS, Perrin, AMS, etc), but I wanted to do something special with this one.

The first things were most important on the FE. Get Recaros in, replace the brakes, shims and fluid, JDM front crash beam, Kansai tow-hook and fog deletes. Next is exhaust, 3-port, UICP, HFC, tune, suspension, wheels and tires.

There have been a lot of exhausts for our cars over the years and have heard so many. My goals were simple: Go lightweight and not have an obnoxious sound. I was debating getting a custom Ti exhaust made from ETS with a resonator, but at the end of the day I kept coming back to HKS/Kansai/Ralliart for the parts I admire. Will it be the fastest X? Nope. But felt it'd be a fun endeavor.

I started looking at the HKS Hi-Power Spec-L exhaust. The weight involved with it seemed to be extremely low. I saw it was under 21lbs total which is a crazy low weight for dual exhaust. They accomplish this by using thinner 3" piping, hollow mounts and cut weight out where ever they can. They finish it off with carbon tips. This sounded like something I was willing to try and potentially set the stage for my new build.

I got ahold of Joe at JM Auto Racing (evom sponsor) and he was extremely competitive with anyone else I got a hold of. He was also very quick in replies when I had questions about what products and prices were available. He had it in stock and it was at my door in three days from New York to the west coast. I'll definitely be revisiting them for future purchases. http://www.jmautosports.com

Arrival

When the box first arrived I was blown away by the weight of the box. It was such a large box but I could easily grab it with one hand. My wife actually brought it in and commented how light it felt.

Getting Ready

The excitement builds!!

Welds

I've owned a few HKS products before and usually they are the cleanest around. There were a few weld splashes on the back of the canisters. The welds weren't as pretty / neat as I was expecting but they were functional.

Weight Savings

The attention to detail on how to get the weight down was extremely impressive. The pipe didn't feel so thin it would easily dent, but strong enough for track days and light enough for weight savings. Another evom member (moparfan) pointed out that it is actually 1.6lbs lighter than the ETS extreme (no mufflers, just straight pipes). That should tell you the quality of materials HKS focused on to accomplish this.

Bastard Tow-hook Removal

Part of the install, you have to remove the driver side tow hook. It involves moving the gas canister out of the way to get to the bolts that go through the frame. It would have been nicer of to swap the welded nuts and the bolts so it would be easier to get them out, but I believe because of the way the frame is molded there wouldn't be a way to get the long bolts out.

Final Install

The exhaust install wasn't that bad. It comes with compression rings when the exhaust mounts are bolted together. The instructions are all in japanese so they didn't help me at all. I put the hardware to the side to figure where everything went, sort of using the instruction diagram as a guide. Must have the rubber mounts on correctly otherwise the cannons won't line up to the mid-pipe correctly. It is extremely stable and no way will hit the driveline.

The tips stick far enough out that I don't have to worry about any melting of the diffuser that came with the earlier versions.

The best part? This exhaust note is exactly what I was looking for! I'd say it is almost quieter than my stock exhaust, but has a perfect tone. No droning whatsoever throughout the entire RPM range. I keep finding myself turning off my music so I can appreciate the new note.

If it wasn't for the weld splatters I'd rate this exhaust a 10 out of 10. For that I'll rate it 9 out of 10. I'm extremely happy with this exhaust and look forward to using some more HKS products in the future.
Attached Thumbnails HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-1-first-box-arrived.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-2-box-arrived.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-3-teaser-opening-1.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-4-teaser-opening-2.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-5-getting-ready-install-1.jpg  

HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-7-getting-ready-install-3.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-8-welds-1.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-9-welds-2.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-10-welds-3.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-11-welds-4.jpg  

HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-tow-hook-1.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-tow-hook-2.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-tow-hook-3.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-final-underneath.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-final-side-shot.jpg  

HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-final-serial-number.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-final-right.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-final-left.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-final-back.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-12-show-light-1.jpg  

HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-13-show-light-2.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-14-show-light-3.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-15-show-light-4.jpg   HKS Hi-Power Spec-L Review-6-getting-ready-install-2.jpg  

Last edited by migs647; Apr 17, 2017 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fresh23evo (Apr 17, 2017)
Old Apr 16, 2017, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The following users liked this post:
fresh23evo (Apr 17, 2017)
Old Apr 16, 2017, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Old Apr 23, 2017, 04:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I really don't like the welds, at that price I would expect some higher quality welds.

Maybe it's just me.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Honeymelon
I really don't like the welds, at that price I would expect some higher quality welds.

Maybe it's just me.
Exactly. I admire that you went with something different and the design of the system looks good. I like how they saved weight by doing the hollow hangers and cutouts. The welds look terrible though and I'm not a fan of the shape and size of the tips.
Overall a pretty nice exhaust system. Thanks for sharing!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 06:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Honeymelon

Maybe it's just me.
Yep, that's why I pointed it out. I've had multiple HKS products through the years and haven't ever seen this. HKS has always had awesome amazing welds that belonged in a museum.

At the end of the day none of those welds can be seen unless you crawl under the car. The outside appearances of the exhaust is flawless. Maybe they cut some corners to start saving some $$, or this is a Friday exhaust.

The tips seem to look a lot better in person than in the pictures. They look stubby, but they actually stick out a good amount. From the top all you see is carbon fiber sticking out, and looks great. But appearances are definitely subjective.

The one part that keeps getting me is how smooth this exhaust note is. I definitely appreciate this note the most out of any exhaust I've owned.

I did about 150 miles of spirited driving yesterday and no drone anywhere. Not just no drone, but just a smooth happy feeling as the turbo spools. I do the homer simpson drool almost every time I bank a corner.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I still think you should of put ETS straight pipes on.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 07:32 AM
EvoM Community Team

Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:02 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good OP!

Hope to do business with you again soon!
(855)99-Turbo

Check out our New Site! Visit our website at www.jmautosports.com!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would be interested to see one of these in person. I feel as if the pictures don't do the tips justice.