Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

advise about AEM Wideband and Etune

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
advise about AEM Wideband and Etune

Hi Guys,

i have an AP V2 and im planning to do an Etune, what i understood that i need to buy an AFR Gauge/controller and wire it up to the rear O2 sensor. is this the correct item to buy by AEM?

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...-gauge-30-4110

if its not can you provide a link please?

plus, can you suggest a good etuner, because i dont live in the US and no good local ones, im looking for a nice and safe tune "since its very hot where i live" for a daily driver.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Yup thats the one. I had a similar setup before switching to open source. Just make sure your wires are soldered and not just twisted. I was getting incorrect readings.

Also something you should know, it seems like Cobb is dying in the Mitsubishi market. They don't offer AccessTuner Race anymore and it looks like they don't even offer AccessTuner Pro either. If you aren't too set on the AP, you can switch to open source and use the Tactrix cable. It seems to be more supported, and you can log using a serial cable, which is much easier in my opinion.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the reply man really appreciate it. If i want to switch to open source what exactly the parts i need to buy? And for afr logging, do i need to splice the wideband to the ECU input or can the wideband be connected to the laptop directly through the serial cable?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by khaled_hourani
Thanks for the reply man really appreciate it. If i want to switch to open source what exactly the parts i need to buy? And for afr logging, do i need to splice the wideband to the ECU input or can the wideband be connected to the laptop directly through the serial cable?
Contact wtftuned for a good e-tuners and he will walk you through all the hardware you need to get setup. Be patient with e-tuning it can take a lot of back and forth over weeks to get everything dialed in.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
To switch to open source all you would need is a tactrix open port 2.0 cable, ecuflash and evoscan. You can sell your unmarried accessport to pay for the tactrix. And yes, it's very easy to log the AEM wideband through serial, so you won't have to splice into the rear o2 or try to get the right equation.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Side note, There is a Video from Raw EVO on youtube that talks about wideband data logging... its old but still good info.

Also, you are not going to want to connect the WB to rear o2 (post CAT)... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here You are going to want to pull this data from about 22" back from the turbo... Meaning that you will want to place the bung for the sniffer right at the end of the DP or get a high flow cat with a bung right before the CAT (ETS has a very nice one to help with any CELs you may encounter)... you want to pull the raw AFRs pre CAT, this will give you the best data to help tune the car and tell you whats really going on before the CAT alters the AFRs as it is intended to do.. +

MAP's ETS HFC
https://www.maperformance.com/produc...tsubishi-evo-x

Look at picture 1 of 4, ETS HFC.. notice that there is a bung with a plug in it pre cat/post DP. that is where you want to hook up your AEM WB
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#&gid=1&pid=1

Hope this helps you. Also, the AP will only get you so far in tuning as it's just the middle man for communication from your tuner to your car. People who make BIG numbers are all Open Source. Not knocking COBB by any means but they are not as invested in the EVO anymore as a lot of other places that will have an easier time Etuning OS... However, at the end of the day it's your car and your money so do and spend it how you feel comfortable.

Good luck
Old Apr 19, 2017, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by EVOX84
Side note, There is a Video from Raw EVO on youtube that talks about wideband data logging... its old but still good info.

Also, you are not going to want to connect the WB to rear o2 (post CAT)... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here You are going to want to pull this data from about 22" back from the turbo... Meaning that you will want to place the bung for the sniffer right at the end of the DP or get a high flow cat with a bung right before the CAT (ETS has a very nice one to help with any CELs you may encounter)... you want to pull the raw AFRs pre CAT, this will give you the best data to help tune the car and tell you whats really going on before the CAT alters the AFRs as it is intended to do.. +

MAP's ETS HFC
https://www.maperformance.com/produc...tsubishi-evo-x

Look at picture 1 of 4, ETS HFC.. notice that there is a bung with a plug in it pre cat/post DP. that is where you want to hook up your AEM WB
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#&gid=1&pid=1

Hope this helps you. Also, the AP will only get you so far in tuning as it's just the middle man for communication from your tuner to your car. People who make BIG numbers are all Open Source. Not knocking COBB by any means but they are not as invested in the EVO anymore as a lot of other places that will have an easier time Etuning OS... However, at the end of the day it's your car and your money so do and spend it how you feel comfortable.

Good luck
No thats not what I meant, the WB sensor will be installed in the downpipe but the rear o2 sensor will be discontinued and the WD will be connected to the in put to ECU instead of the rear o2
Old Apr 19, 2017, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
I would def recommend doing the openport with a serial cable. If you can solder its simple to make the wires that connects the output of the AEM to a laptop, otherwise I think STM sells one
Old Apr 20, 2017, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
No thats not what I meant, the WB sensor will be installed in the downpipe but the rear o2 sensor will be discontinued and the WD will be connected to the in put to ECU instead of the rear o2
AHHHH gotcha. Sounds good!