Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Overrevved and Misshifted - Will I know if i damaged valvetrain right away?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Overrevved and Misshifted - Will I know if i damaged valvetrain right away?

so unfortunately tonight messing around , I wanted to test a full redline pull. so my second run from a second gear pull I hit the rev limiter a LOT sooner than I'm used to (car just got protuned, literally my first day testing its limits on an open road). the car bounced off the rev limiter a couple times, I tried insta upshifting but I think it locked me out of 3rd because of the RPMs bouncing off or maybe I got nervous from hitting the rev limiter. pretty nervous now, no smoke, no weird sounds. did multiple pulls tonight with a friend's mk7 gti and car is running fine.

my question is, if I damaged valves or anything in the valve train, would I know instantly on the car or could I have caused damage that's not going to surface for a few thousand miles?

I am going to change the oil since I wanted to after the dyno session and will check back in... thanks to any and all who respond
Old May 9, 2017, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
So let me get this straight.

You just bounced off the limiter in 2nd.

You didn't force the car into 1st while redlining in 2nd.

Correct?

You're fine. Nothing is damaged. The limiter is there to keep you from over revving the engine.

When you have time, visit a local autocross event and watch cars bounce off their limiter for seconds at a time .
Old May 9, 2017, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Prime12
So let me get this straight.

You just bounced off the limiter in 2nd.

You didn't force the car into 1st while redlining in 2nd.

Correct?

You're fine. Nothing is damaged. The limiter is there to keep you from over revving the engine.

When you have time, visit a local autocross event and watch cars bounce off their limiter for seconds at a time .
It honesty sounded like I did force it into first the way it revved out after I tried to shift. I could also feel some heavy engine braking but I just refuse to believe that I made that shift. Been driving stick for a decade now daily , multiple track events. I guess anyone can mess up tho

but if I jammed into first at 70 mph wouldn't I be on the side of the road and not driving full capacity an hour later? No smoke or idle sounds or anything
Old May 9, 2017, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SheWentToJared

but if I jammed into first at 70 mph wouldn't I be on the side of the road and not driving full capacity an hour later? No smoke or idle sounds or anything
Yes, most likely.

If you have an OBD 2 reader, see if you have P0219 - Engine Overspeed Condition stored in the ECU. The ECU triggers and permanently stores that code when you go over 8043 rpm.

It's probably in your head though.
Old May 9, 2017, 06:05 AM

Yes, most likely.

If you have an OBD 2 reader, see if you have P0219 - Engine Overspeed Condition stored in the ECU. The ECU triggers and permanently stores that code when you go over 8043 rpm.

It's probably in your head though.
okay will be checking soon, this could trigger even without a CEL?
Old May 9, 2017, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

okay will be checking soon, this could trigger even without a CEL?
Correct. It would be just stored in the ECU.
The following users liked this post:
SheWentToJared (May 9, 2017)
Old May 9, 2017, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I can't imagine being able to jam it into first at that speed though. It locks you out pretty good. I mean I never tried to force it in, but I know first gear lockout is definitely hard to bypass. I think if you bounced off the limiter in second and managed to downshift into first, you would have a lot of parts on the ground under the car, scattered all over the road.
Old May 9, 2017, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Agreed with everyone here - OP sounds like me after my first (and only) launch of the car.

The OPs car was probably thankful to get a dose of WOT, everything is fine.

-asher
Old May 9, 2017, 11:06 AM

Correct. It would be just stored in the ECU.
so I used one of those ****ty pocket obd 2 readers and no codes came back, I feel like if its there tho id need to use one of those nicer scanners.

Originally Posted by six40
I can't imagine being able to jam it into first at that speed though. It locks you out pretty good. I mean I never tried to force it in, but I know first gear lockout is definitely hard to bypass. I think if you bounced off the limiter in second and managed to downshift into first, you would have a lot of parts on the ground under the car, scattered all over the road.
yeah i was thinking the same thing, and on top of that I just can't imagine shifting from 2nd to 1st like I know its possible but that shift is like riding a bike, 2nd to 3rd is so natural.

Originally Posted by static_set
Agreed with everyone here - OP sounds like me after my first (and only) launch of the car.

The OPs car was probably thankful to get a dose of WOT, everything is fine.

-asher
hopefully lol
Old May 9, 2017, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you really don't trust your reader (by the sounds of it you are good), just get a tactrix port for ecuflash, open ecu flash, set it to canbus 2.0 and scan for codes. But to be honest, it's probably not going to report back if your $10 piece of junk didn't.

Then you are setup for the future (or I guess you are tuned, so the present?)
Old May 9, 2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rasperin
If you really don't trust your reader (by the sounds of it you are good), just get a tactrix port for ecuflash, open ecu flash, set it to canbus 2.0 and scan for codes. But to be honest, it's probably not going to report back if your $10 piece of junk didn't.

Then you are setup for the future (or I guess you are tuned, so the present?)
yes im tuned now. Ordered a nicer obd2 reader that pulls pending stored current codes etc. I definitely want to get the tactrix since I was opensource tuned if I ever need it. Just have an AFR gauge right now to rely on
Old May 9, 2017, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I could also feel some heavy engine braking but I just refuse to believe that I made that shift.
this is a different statement from your first post.

if your worried i would take it to a local shop and have it tested.
i wouldnt put my trust in forum experts diagnosing a car from ever changing statements.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by sujinX
this is a different statement from your first post.

if your worried i would take it to a local shop and have it tested.
i wouldnt put my trust in forum experts diagnosing a car from ever changing statements.
I think it was just the car falling on its face from not making it into 3rd gear. pretty sure it locked me out cause I was bouncing off the limiter.

anyways update, got my nice obd scanner today and there is no pending or stored codes so I think im good to go. car is running great, oil looks fine
Old May 10, 2017, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
so I used one of those ****ty pocket obd 2 readers and no codes came back, I feel like if its there tho id need to use one of those nicer scanners.

yeah i was thinking the same thing, and on top of that I just can't imagine shifting from 2nd to 1st like I know its possible but that shift is like riding a bike, 2nd to 3rd is so natural.

hopefully lol
My evo X had that code stored, I read it with a little 3 dollar ebay Bluetooth dongle and my bosch scanner didnt pick it up