Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

3500 Mile Update

Old May 31, 2017, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3500 Mile Update

Just wanted to post a little update with my first thoughts on owning my PB '15 GSR.

Damn this thing is fun to drive... And it's stock :O

Just like any basic ***** review will tell you, it's not a luxurious daily driver. It's absolutely horrible on gas (200 miles/ tank if lucky), and it drones like none other on the highway. But who gives a @#$!, that's why I bought it! I'm smiling every bit of those 200 miles.

I've launched the car, taken it in the dirt, taken it to the mountains, and taken it on weekend drives. Every time I park my Evo I look back and think "It did exactly what it was built to do."

My buddy owns a new C63 AMG and he struggles to keep up in the mountainous areas of Arizona. You can truly feel the S-AWC system work its black magic on the bendy roads. A quick blip on the brake pedal to give the nose a dive, and this thing just wants to rocket out of the turns.

No issues so far, although I imagine I'll be replacing the clutch sooner than most lol. I'll post some pictures later if anyone requests.

Coming from owning 2 built 300ZX twin turbos, I have to say I'm disappointed with the higher end speed of the X. I used to run with every type of car in the Z and would usually walk away right around 80mph getting gaps. The Evo X in stock form is definitely another car that seems to drop right around 80-100. The stock tune is truly limiting, and I did not think it would be as exaggerated as people said it would be. That will be fixed in the future of course!

That being said: Loving the car so far, it gets me to work reliably, gets the groceries and dry cleaning, and most of all it performs consistently well.

I have some very exciting mods on the way! A rare discontinued exhaust, and some custom wheels being shipped from Japan.
Old May 31, 2017, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Glad you're enjoying it! For cheap minor power and a smoother power curve drop in a cosworth non oiled filter. Stock replacement size and no tune needed. Made a nice clean curve at the top for me while stock. I got mine at rallysportdirect I think? Honestly just do that and get an exhaust and call it a day lol. These cars get horrid gas mpg's when you start adding parts!

You're pretty close to wtftuned as well they are out of Utah when you step up to more power / a protune. Just kiss warranty goodbye!
Old May 31, 2017, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the advice Napalm! Dual Exhaust is being built currently and will be shipped soon! Decided to go with a HFC on the midpipe to keep it more subtle. Still deciding what Downpipe I want to go with. Will end up doing an aftermarket intake I'm sure. I'm thinking about going with the HKS intake kit with the air duct attachment. I'm going to run the manufacture warranty for a while and start stashing my parts slowly. Transforming the car all at once is something I've always wanted to do.

I think a drop in filter is a great idea until I get another setup!
Old May 31, 2017, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
The Evo really could use a 6th, would be a much better gt. It's still a whole lot quieter than my 2003 VIII ever was.

And I filled up on Sunday, with not much fuel indicating on the gauge and a 40 mile range, still only managed to squeeze in 10.6 gallons. The tank really is a thimble.
Old May 31, 2017, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by booloop
Thanks for the advice Napalm! Dual Exhaust is being built currently and will be shipped soon! Decided to go with a HFC on the midpipe to keep it more subtle. Still deciding what Downpipe I want to go with. Will end up doing an aftermarket intake I'm sure. I'm thinking about going with the HKS intake kit with the air duct attachment. I'm going to run the manufacture warranty for a while and start stashing my parts slowly. Transforming the car all at once is something I've always wanted to do.

I think a drop in filter is a great idea until I get another setup!
Hey bud just so you know, these are a bit different than Subaru's, the downpipe is really only advisable after you get a bigger turbo. I'd seriously put in the drop in filter and see how you feel. It might clean things up enough for you to keep your warranty for a while longer. Personally I'd get it to about 30k before you shred the warranty but YOLO!

Just the drop in filter alone made me almost wish I didn't get the full bolt ons. I put it in before everything else and it cleaned up most of what irritated me about the factory tune. Just food for thought lol.
Old May 31, 2017, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Did you tune the car for the drop in filter?

And I assume that this just replaces the stock filter inside the OEM housing?
Old May 31, 2017, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fafaforza
Did you tune the car for the drop in filter?

And I assume that this just replaces the stock filter inside the OEM housing?
Nah just put the filter in - done. It doesn't need a tune to benefit from it, I noticed an immediate positive difference. It literally snaps in place like in 20 seconds. Two clips - done.

This is what I use, and change out every six months. Cheap as hell, may as well try it lol

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/fit...tic-air-filter
Old May 31, 2017, 11:45 PM

I'll definitely try out the filter then before I toss on the mods! Just hoarding parts for now, not in a big hurry to install them.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 04:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coming from owning 2 built 300ZX twin turbos, I have to say I'm disappointed with the higher end speed of the X. I used to run with every type of car in the Z and would usually walk away right around 80mph getting gaps. The Evo X in stock form is definitely another car that seems to drop right around 80-100. The stock tune is truly limiting, and I did not think it would be as exaggerated as people said it would be. That will be fixed in the future of course!
Its the gears, the 5 speed runs out of room at 145-150 at 7000 rpm in 5th. Also as stated before try that drop in filter
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice car! I've got 15k on mine, still stock too and I've had the cosworth filter for a month or so just waiting to put it in during the scheduled service. I've also got the TWM short throw shifter kit waiting to go in.

How are your tires holding up? My fronts got balded on the insides around only 7k, I'm running them in the back now trying to get through the summer.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evn2rzn
Nice car! I've got 15k on mine, still stock too and I've had the cosworth filter for a month or so just waiting to put it in during the scheduled service. I've also got the TWM short throw shifter kit waiting to go in.

How are your tires holding up? My fronts got balded on the insides around only 7k, I'm running them in the back now trying to get through the summer.
Damn you didn't find out you need an alignment asap because the one from the factory is ****. Once you get a proper alignment with your next set of tires you will be in better shape. Zero toe all the way around and you should see closer to 20k with your next set (depending on driving)

No need to wait on your filter, takes 15 seconds to put in lol.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:15 PM

hmmm the factory alignment being bad doesn't surprise me. I get a bit of vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. It's my first AWD car so I thought maybe it just came with the territory. I also thought it could be that way since I bought it new in December 2016. I figured they never gave it an alignment since it was manufactured and it slightly adjusted over those couple years.

I'll probably still just wait to do the alignment with the new wheel setup since I'll be adjusting ride height and going -3/-2 camber. My tire life will be trash but at least I get wholesale pricing on tires .

I'm very excited to run these wheels and I think I might be the only phantom black evo x running them on the forums! We'll see if they turn out as good as they do in my mind!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

hmmm the factory alignment being bad doesn't surprise me. I get a bit of vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. It's my first AWD car so I thought maybe it just came with the territory. I also thought it could be that way since I bought it new in December 2016. I figured they never gave it an alignment since it was manufactured and it slightly adjusted over those couple years.

I'll probably still just wait to do the alignment with the new wheel setup since I'll be adjusting ride height and going -3/-2 camber. My tire life will be trash but at least I get wholesale pricing on tires .

I'm very excited to run these wheels and I think I might be the only phantom black evo x running them on the forums! We'll see if they turn out as good as they do in my mind!
Can't wait for pictures
Old Jun 2, 2017, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Can't wait for pictures
you'll have to be a bit patient, it's gonna be a few months until I get the wheels! It'll give me plenty of time to do more research and ship some of the other parts I want. Found some other PB evos running the same wheels but still havent found any with the same color combo.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an 8 before my x and I do like the x a little more. Mostly because the 8 did not have cruise control haha. Adding just an intake makes driving these cars more fun to drive because you can actually hear it haha, that is just my opinion though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3500 Mile Update