Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

9 basic things a newbie EvoX owner has learned

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 basic things a newbie EvoX owner has learned

Nine things I've learned in seven years of owning an 08 Evo X. Some may be obvious to you, and if so, I apologize in advance. But I would've liked to have known these things in advance my purchase:

1) This forum is awesome and has saved me much money and time. The overwhelming majority of posters are kind and helpful and willing to share their expertise. Thank you all!

2) On the other hand, my dealer has been a disappointment. I can only speak for my dealer, not all of them, but this one is clearly unsuited to properly assess issues with the Evo X, even when they use the national service hotline. They've misdiagnosed problems multiple times (even when I tell them what I think the problem is - most often based on reading this forum - and that's usually right). On the last trip there, they basically said they couldn't fix what turned out to be a simple problem. See 7) below.

3) The stock wing on the Evo X looks really cool, but it's placed in about the worst location for visibility. I switched to a carbon fiber lip spoiler, and that's a decent replacement. The car doesn't look as mean, but visibility is much improved.

4) I finally gave up on the front rubber lip extension. Fixed it multiple times. Bought several boxes of the fasteners. It rips off in snow, when entering drives with abrupt slope changes. Again, I love the look, but it's just too low.

5) Breathing mods, plus EBCU, plus a tune on the Evo X makes a wonderful daily driver with good low end and high end response. Best car I've had in 35 years of driving.

6) I need to save up for brake jobs. Very expensive, though getting your own pads and rotors helps. Midas has lifetime warranty on pads, so that helps, but the rotors are expensive. Good deals are available on-line periodically.

7) MAF sensors are an issue on the Evo X, with or without modified intake. I'm on my third, and they can fail without giving codes (that's the problem my dealer was unable to diagnose). Logs (e.g. with EvoScan or Accessport) are invaluable in diagnosing difficult problems.

8) I've had great customer service from aftermarket Evo X suppliers: Cobb, Custom Performance, Grimmspeed, AMS. AMS has been especially helpful and knowledgeable.

9) The TPMS sensor issue with the Evo X is disappointing. Seems like most tire places don't have the means to reset them. Dealer charges something like $100. I've had to do it twice. I bought the two tools necessary for this (I think they cost about $400 together). Haven't earned my money back yet, but at least it's not going to the dealer.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by glumac000
9) The TPMS sensor issue with the Evo X is disappointing. Seems like most tire places don't have the means to reset them. Dealer charges something like $100. I've had to do it twice. I bought the two tools necessary for this (I think they cost about $400 together). Haven't earned my money back yet, but at least it's not going to the dealer.

Yeah that does get annoying. I just paid Vladimus $30 to eliminate that function, as well as disable DRL's, let me use my fog lights separately from my low beams, etc. Now the car is much more peaceful not having that TPMS warning pop up as it wishes.
The following users liked this post:
glumac000 (Jun 5, 2017)
Old Jun 2, 2017, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Nine things I've learned in seven years of owning an 08 Evo X. Some may be obvious to you, and if so, I apologize in advance. But I would've liked to have known these things in advance my purchase:

1) This forum is awesome and has saved me much money and time. The overwhelming majority of posters are kind and helpful and willing to share their expertise. Thank you all!

2) On the other hand, my dealer has been a disappointment. I can only speak for my dealer, not all of them, but this one is clearly unsuited to properly assess issues with the Evo X, even when they use the national service hotline. They've misdiagnosed problems multiple times (even when I tell them what I think the problem is - most often based on reading this forum - and that's usually right). On the last trip there, they basically said they couldn't fix what turned out to be a simple problem. See 7) below.

3) The stock wing on the Evo X looks really cool, but it's placed in about the worst location for visibility. I switched to a carbon fiber lip spoiler, and that's a decent replacement. The car doesn't look as mean, but visibility is much improved.

4) I finally gave up on the front rubber lip extension. Fixed it multiple times. Bought several boxes of the fasteners. It rips off in snow, when entering drives with abrupt slope changes. Again, I love the look, but it's just too low.

5) Breathing mods, plus EBCU, plus a tune on the Evo X makes a wonderful daily driver with good low end and high end response. Best car I've had in 35 years of driving.

6) I need to save up for brake jobs. Very expensive, though getting your own pads and rotors helps. Midas has lifetime warranty on pads, so that helps, but the rotors are expensive. Good deals are available on-line periodically.

7) MAF sensors are an issue on the Evo X, with or without modified intake. I'm on my third, and they can fail without giving codes (that's the problem my dealer was unable to diagnose). Logs (e.g. with EvoScan or Accessport) are invaluable in diagnosing difficult problems.

8) I've had great customer service from aftermarket Evo X suppliers: Cobb, Custom Performance, Grimmspeed, AMS. AMS has been especially helpful and knowledgeable.

The stock rear wing height is perfect for blocking headlights behind me.

I have the tpms light on when I go to the dealer for an oil change. They reset it for free because who goes to dealer for an oil change. I guess it's a freebie to get me to come back. I don't ask them to fix it.

Last edited by moparfan; Jun 2, 2017 at 02:48 PM.
glumac000 (Jun 5, 2017)
Old Jun 2, 2017, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
I have mine disabled by Vadimus. He lives in Toronto, Ontario. The TPMS delete via ETACS really makes the world a peaceful place.

See: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11267879

I'm looking to put together a set of coilovers with aluminium cup air suspension. Hopefully if it works, I can roll with a front lip that doesn't get torn off from time to time.

See: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ift-bumps.html
glumac000 (Jun 5, 2017)
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:14 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Totally glad you're enjoying your X!!

This one is weird to me... been on this forum for a long time and just haven't seen these fail much without some reason. Usually it is from overly saturated filters, or filters that aren't filtering correctly. In regards to OEM filter, are you sure it was connected all the way? It is often difficult to seal the bottom, especially since you can't really feel it or see it. I've seen MAFs go bad this way, but I've also seen them come back to life with some MAF cleaner.

Going through 3 MAFs sounds like something else may be wrong.
glumac000 (Jun 5, 2017)
Old Jun 5, 2017, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Why not do rotors from Tirerack?
glumac000 (Jun 8, 2017)
Old Jun 6, 2017, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TPMS sensors are annoying. I hear weird noises with mine all the time that make me think there is something wrong when there isn't.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by six40
Yeah that does get annoying. I just paid Vladimus $30 to eliminate that function, as well as disable DRL's, let me use my fog lights separately from my low beams, etc. Now the car is much more peaceful not having that TPMS warning pop up as it wishes.
Just looked at those threads quickly... too much to read. How does it work, he sends you something you plug in?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I still do not get why people make such a big deal about visibility with the stock wing.

If something is being blocked out by the wing, you don't need to worry about it since it is probably a mile down the road.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 03:29 AM

I use cloned TPMS sensors in my extra wheels. They work great, just like the OEM and I can swap wheels whenever I want without and reprogramming or tpms lights. I personally like the tpms function.

I didn't know about the maf sensor. I'll tuck that one away
Old Jun 8, 2017, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
Why not do rotors from Tirerack?
Thanks for that tip. Looked there tonight, and the prices seem very competitive.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for that tip. Looked there tonight, and the prices seem very competitive.
I've bought my brakes from them for all my cars.. if I question comes up I ask it here, and on the tirerack online chat. Those guys on the chat are really knowledgeable.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I felt like you could get decent brake options without spending a ton on Amazon. However, my biggest learning experience was changing my first clutch. SOOO much time to do and if you dont want to do it yourself, youre paying 1200+