Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Buying my first Evo!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying my first Evo!

Hey guys new to the forum and I'm looking to buy my first evo, after years of Preformance diesel trucks I think it's time to switch over to cars!.... what's some things to look out for? I'm looking at a 2009 lancer evo Mr... or another 2009 evo gsr... the first car being stock, low km's and for sale by a dealer and the second car being slightly modified and about 25,xxx more km. What's everyone's opinion on both of the 2?
Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Get a GSR the MR requires too much repairs overall and you are in a bad location to get said repairs lol.

Give us links to the cars for opinions. Good luck with your search!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Get a GSR the MR requires too much repairs overall and you are in a bad location to get said repairs lol.

Give us links to the cars for opinions. Good luck with your search!
what do you mean by I'm In a bad location to get the repairs done ? and here's the links to the cars.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2009-lancer-evolution-gsr/1271361182?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content= app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2009-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-evo-mr-low-kms-mint/1235683460?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content= app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms
Old Jun 12, 2017, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Td94_
what do you mean by I'm In a bad location to get the repairs done ? and here's the links to the cars.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...utm_source=sms

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...utm_source=sms
The MR (SST) transmission outside of warranty can only be worked on properly by a handful of people. I am unaware of anyone in Canada that can, so I would suggest the GSR for that reason. Also if you buy a modded MR you won't have a warranty so that is a risk is all.

Of the two cars you listed, I'd wait and find a more stock GSR and let that one pass. Good luck to you!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
The MR (SST) transmission outside of warranty can only be worked on properly by a handful of people. I am unaware of anyone in Canada that can, so I would suggest the GSR for that reason. Also if you buy a modded MR you won't have a warranty so that is a risk is all.

Of the two cars you listed, I'd wait and find a more stock GSR and let that one pass. Good luck to you!
Alright thanks for the help and info!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Listen to Napalm_Enema. Canada doesn't have any specialty transmission shops for our cars. The nearest would be Jacks at Colorado Springs, CO and Sheptrans at North Lawrence, OH. You could of course drive an Evo X MR and have the transmission serviced, repaired, and rebuilt in the States, if you don't mind spending a fortune every time[1], but many of us Canucks choose the 5MT for its ease of service and its ease on the wallet.

You need to do a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) before buying a used Evo. Mitsubishi dealers should be able to do it for about C$150. There is also a high-end shop in your area called Engineered Automotive at Concord, ON that does very expensive and very good pre-purchase inspections.

Don't forget to apply and join Toronto Evo Nation (TEN) and Evo Nation Canada (ENC) on Facebook after you got your Evo. These are great clubs.

[1] If the Evo X MR is in roadworthy conditions, you can simply book an appointment and drive to one of those transmission shops, which would NOT be a fortune. However, if the SST transmission stops working for one reason or another, you will have to dismount the transmission at a dealer, ship the transmission abroad for repair (be it Mitsu or tranny shops), and then ship it back.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you going to be the only driver? I went GSR but sometimes wished I had a MR when the wife had to drive it for any reason because she isnt the best at driving a manual.

What others have said about specialty transmission shops, depends on your area and how much work you are willing to do. I know that most if not all tranny shops I have called have never worked on an Evo or have one guy there that did one once. Thankfully my cousin is a wizard when it comes to this kind of thing. Even if you think youre great at this sort of thing, do know that simple things like changing a clutch will take 8+ hours to do