Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X - Intermitten starting issue - Car wont crank/start

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo X - Intermitten starting issue - Car wont crank/start

I had my clutch master cylinder (CMC) replaced under recall, I got my car back and noticed 2 step wasn't working maybe because the clutch wasn't pressing the clutch switch in all the way? Later that day my car wouldn't crank at all, so I pressed the clutch switch in by hand and started the car and it worked. Today I go to start my car and... nothing. Still not cranking, tried to do that again no luck this time. Checked the battery terminals, multi meter says 12.3/12.4 volts, tried to start it without fast key, checked the grounds to the alternator, what else could it be? Starter showed no signs of it starting to fail, car has always cranked no issues. And no I haven't tried pop starting it because if it doesn't start (which I'm sure it will, car ran fine yesterday before I got home) I won't be able to push it back up the street into my driveway. Any advice? Dealership is trash, they say they don't know... car started everyday the past 4 years no issues till they touched it. Coincidence? Not sure...

So car ended up starting after waiting 45 min to try to start it again. Worked a few times and later that same day car wouldnt crank again. I tried to complete the circuit on the clutch switch (see pics) but it didnt work. That made me believe it was the starter... but all i did was plug the clutch switch back in and keep trying to start the car and it started. Started to notice it maybe wasnt cranking super strong, maybe indicative of the starter? its really hard to tell, i could be over thinking it. I have no freakin clue what it actually is...

HELP HELP HELP!

Opinion, leave them below.

Thanks!

unplugged the harness from the clutch switch and just took some wire that was laying around, threw a connector on each end and plugged it into the harness to see if it would complete the circuit and start... no luck (does that even work?)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 09:15 PM

update: evo x wont crank sometimes, rarely, however it is intermittent. I do beleive its the starter, check out this video -- when my car wont start I get in the car, put it in 1st, push in the clutch with my right foot, keep the door open and push off the ground with my left foot (like a skateboard) while still holding in the clutch with my right foot, once the cars starts moving i let go of the clutch and go to start the car and bam it starts no problem. Any thoughts before I replace the starter?

**BONUS** Can anyone send me a DIY of how to replace the starter on an Evo X? I know how to do it, I'm mainly trying to find the location on the transmission, so any help would be great...

thx

Old Aug 16, 2017, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Next time it happens use a meter or a testlight to verify voltage signal at starter signal wire.

If there is a voltage signal its a starter issue. If there isnt voltage at the starter sig then you can back trace. To ignition switch.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Next time it happens use a meter or a testlight to verify voltage signal at starter signal wire.

If there is a voltage signal its a starter issue. If there isnt voltage at the starter sig then you can back trace. To ignition switch.

Im getting a code P0830 = Clutch Pedal Switch 'A' Circuit --> assuming the clutch switch is bad, my car only starts if i pop start it. Does anyone know how to bypass the clutch switch so i can start my car without having to pop start it?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 09:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010evoxgsr
Im getting a code P0830 = Clutch Pedal Switch 'A' Circuit --> assuming the clutch switch is bad, my car only starts if i pop start it. Does anyone know how to bypass the clutch switch so i can start my car without having to pop start it?

Take it apart and short the wires/leads.

For a faster, sloppier job, cut the wires and short them to each other.