Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X MR or GSR?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
500whp definitely 5 speed. If you have a good clutch and the diff pins are updated/upgraded, it will take it all day long.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
over 400 , dont even think about the SST. Unless you never really use the HP you have

only advantage the SST has if you DD the car , other than that its all 5speed.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my MR and the SST trans for a daily driver and occasional track car. Also have a 6 speed STi and have the opposite opinion of that, great track car but not so much daily driver.

Todd
Old Aug 31, 2017, 08:45 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
the sst is a beautiful piece of technology. Its faster (the trans) period then a 5/6 speed in pretty much all things. If money is not a concern go with the SST and upgrade it appropriately for your power levels. If you are working on a budget though the 5 speed will survive a lot longer without as much investment. Unless you are a **** stick driver then the SST would probably be the better bet. One miss shift and a blown up engine will quickly narrow that investment gap between an SST and a manual.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 07:18 PM

The thought of a SST rebuild scares me lol. I've installed clutches before...but was just curious what would be a better platform to build on. It seems people prefer the gsr for sure.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Ice raptor
The thought of a SST rebuild scares me lol. I've installed clutches before...but was just curious what would be a better platform to build on. It seems people prefer the gsr for sure.
Bit of both really, as long as your goals are not 500hp you can run either safely, with great results. The SST just shouldn't be pushed past 350lb tq, and should only be tuned by the best out there to ensure it doesn't have issues. I'd suggest the same thing for the GSR, but the tune isn't as picky due to the lack of the SST but I would still use the best for either car, personally.

So really it comes down to end goal. I had an MR that was awesome with just boltons and I never wanted more. Car was very fast, but I didn't 'need' more power and that was a safe place for the MR. Basic boltons+great tune

What else do you gain? Ease in traffic and a sixth gear. While that seems minor, it is a lifesaver if you need it, and that sixth gear is a godsend on the highway. The GSR howls at 3500 RPM's at 65mph... that's ...rough. So the MR gives you more 'liveability' for a hopped up EVO. And it is VERY fast to shift and drive with, so you can find a different type of fun than rowing the gears based on precision driving and to the limit responsiveness.

So know your end goal, then decide. The SST is a great platform if you don't go full potato.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ralliart owner here.

Want 500hp 4B11T. Go manual save the trouble of dealing with upgrading the SST.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Bit of both really, as long as your goals are not 500hp you can run either safely, with great results. The SST just shouldn't be pushed past 350lb tq, and should only be tuned by the best out there to ensure it doesn't have issues. I'd suggest the same thing for the GSR, but the tune isn't as picky due to the lack of the SST but I would still use the best for either car, personally.

So really it comes down to end goal. I had an MR that was awesome with just boltons and I never wanted more. Car was very fast, but I didn't 'need' more power and that was a safe place for the MR. Basic boltons+great tune

What else do you gain? Ease in traffic and a sixth gear. While that seems minor, it is a lifesaver if you need it, and that sixth gear is a godsend on the highway. The GSR howls at 3500 RPM's at 65mph... that's ...rough. So the MR gives you more 'liveability' for a hopped up EVO. And it is VERY fast to shift and drive with, so you can find a different type of fun than rowing the gears based on precision driving and to the limit responsiveness.

So know your end goal, then decide. The SST is a great platform if you don't go full potato.
So a MR could handle a pretty decent amount? If i did decide to go full potato down the road which...wont happen for quite a long time. Is there enough mods for the SST to handle the HP i want? I dont buy bad parts for cars. I only ever put in whats best for the car. So if i cant afford the best i wont do it until i can. Especially with mitsubishi's.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ice raptor
So a MR could handle a pretty decent amount? If i did decide to go full potato down the road which...wont happen for quite a long time. Is there enough mods for the SST to handle the HP i want? I dont buy bad parts for cars. I only ever put in whats best for the car. So if i cant afford the best i wont do it until i can. Especially with mitsubishi's.
If you're going for over 400hp then get a GSR. If you're going for like 350 and about 320 torque and done, go with MR or GSR

You need deep pockets to make big power with an MR and there is no guarantee it won't have issues.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Adding this in there, the manual trans is pretty balky in the morning in cold weather. A couple of times I was sitting for a minute trying to get it in gear (without forcing it!) to get it moving.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by moparfan
Adding this in there, the manual trans is pretty balky in the morning in cold weather. A couple of times I was sitting for a minute trying to get it in gear (without forcing it!) to get it moving.
Wouldnt a different oil weight help with that?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by moparfan
If you're talking about going into reverse cold, try putting it in first, then putting it into reverse. Reverse is comprised of 1st and 3rd gears meshing together somehow, so doing that smooths out going into reverse most times. Give it a shot
Old Sep 5, 2017, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Reverse is just first gear with basically one more non synchronised gear to cause the transmission output to rotate backwards. So yeah getting it into first before reverse usually helps. For those mentioning it being hard to get in, mine was that way on the stock clutch and before the transmission got freshened up. Now it goes into any gear at any RPM at any temperature without any drama.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
The SST is fine between 350 and 400 ft-lb torque. However, it is NOT fine without cooling upgrades on the track. I have three coolers just for the SST. If you want to make more torque your looking at upgrading the block anyhow so you don't vent your block. So you if you plan for over 350-400 ft-lb of torque your looking at upgrading the SST clutch pack which is about $3500 bucks. I shopped a few places and that was about the going rate. I decided to keep my torque at 330ft-lb or so and everything has been fine. The SST needs to be WARMED UP before you get on the jam. A lot of guys who smoke the trans (aka: glass the clutch pack) get on the gas before the transmission is 150F. That is around the magic temperature that the retarded SST ECU stops INTENTIONALLY slipping the clutches in an attempt to warm itself up. I am not kidding here. From a gears standpoint the trans is built like a brick $hithouse. There are some weaknesses like sensors held in place with glue, but again if you keep the transmission cool then those don't detach and wreck havoc. Not sure if I helped the conversation here or not.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just get manual and get over with nothing better than having full control , u decide when the clutch engage and disengage

Quick Reply: Evo X MR or GSR?