Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X MR or GSR?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a stock or basic bolt-ons DD, it's tough to beat the MR. The 6th gear was a big selling point for me since I do a lot of highway driving. I never thought I'd like driving a DCT as much as I did until owning one and in traffic it's a godsend. With that said, the simplicity and modability of the 5-spd can't be understated. If I had plans to make serious power on this platform it would have easily been my choice.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 08:55 AM

A friend of mine had a MR and it had a ton of problems. It was an 08 fully loaded. It had issues with the rockford fosgate sound system, transfer case issues, transmission issues. It was honestly a money pit, but that was just the first yea the X was made. I have owned personally a 2012 GSR and a 08 gsr. I had a great experience with both and honestly man it's a race car it needs to be stick shift!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR is faster any day. But the feeling of clutch & shifting is not there. I bought my evoX GSR because of that reason only.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:29 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by jdpatel738
MR is faster any day. But the feeling of clutch & shifting is not there. I bought my evoX GSR because of that reason only.
i manually shift my MR so thats still there, just no clutch.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
i manually shift my MR so thats still there, just no clutch.
I wouldn't say that's the "feeling" he is talking about. It's not even close.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:03 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
as someone who daily drives both my evos i can assure you the level of engagement the SST brings is still plenty satisfying especially when factoring the agony of driving in stop and go traffic or long drives. Some days i feel like driving my 8 some days my X. I would never advise someone against getting an MR because it is "Less fun, exciting, engaging etc". The only factors I would advise on are Goals and budget. Pretty much every aspect of the cars performance is governed by a computer already, I don't hear anyone complaining about that. If you want it raw go get a straight 8 RS, its as raw an evo as you can buy in the states.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by jkane
I wouldn't say that's the "feeling" he is talking about. It's not even close.
Everyone who has never owned an MR or driven one long enough to understand it trashes it.

Those who have owned it, and LOVE stickshifts, find that it's a very enjoyable car even without that third peddle.

I'm one of those huge fans of a stickshift and I loved my MR all the same. It's ignorance that makes that claim, nothing more. The car is brutal fast and fun in its own way, something you would understand if you'd had some wheel time with one. <shrug>

People get too hung up on 'omg it's an auto', it's really not, and doesn't drive all slow and stupid like one. Lightning fast shifts and the ability to push the car and maximize its speed make it a TON of fun.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
The SST in the MR is a ridiculous transmission. In a good way. Despite owning a GSR I have driven more MR Evos than 5 speeds. From bone stock to full bolt on/tune/3port. Definitely not any less "fun" than rowing your own gears. It's a different animal, and ear to ear smile everytime I drive one or am in one. Hard consistent launches, blistering fast shifts, and just overall stupid

Definitely nothing like the boring 4 speed automatic found in a Honda Accord, like people seem to think.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Everyone who has never owned an MR or driven one long enough to understand it trashes it.

Those who have owned it, and LOVE stickshifts, find that it's a very enjoyable car even without that third peddle.

I'm one of those huge fans of a stickshift and I loved my MR all the same. It's ignorance that makes that claim, nothing more. The car is brutal fast and fun in its own way, something you would understand if you'd had some wheel time with one. <shrug>

People get too hung up on 'omg it's an auto', it's really not, and doesn't drive all slow and stupid like one. Lightning fast shifts and the ability to push the car and maximize its speed make it a TON of fun.
Agreed. I had never owned automatic or even driven a car with a DCT before my MR, and opted for it only because I needed something for stop and go traffic. After owning it for some time, I really don't get the difference some feel there is between a DCT and traditional manual. Either way you're deciding exactly when you want to shift. That is FULL control.

Not to mention the DCT changes gears far quicker than the average driver ever could, which brings an entirely different type of fun into the mix. All things being equal, I'm not sure I have a preference between a DCT and a true manual. And if it's a car I'll be driving daily, I'm definitely opting for the DCT.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by MR15
Agreed. I had never owned automatic or even driven a car with a DCT before my MR, and opted for it only because I needed something for stop and go traffic. After owning it for some time, I really don't get the difference some feel there is between a DCT and traditional manual. Either way you're deciding exactly when you want to shift. That is FULL control.

Not to mention the DCT changes gears far quicker than the average driver ever could, which brings an entirely different type of fun into the mix. All things being equal, I'm not sure I have a preference between a DCT and a true manual. And if it's a car I'll be driving daily, I'm definitely opting for the DCT.
I now have an M2 with an dual clutch and it's even faster than the MR lol. Thing will chirp the tires going into third!
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
I now have an M2 with an dual clutch and it's even faster than the MR lol. Thing will chirp the tires going into third!
I have both an Evo X MR and gsr and they are both great in there own ways. But bolt on for bolt on the MR is much faster and if you really want 500hp without upgrading clutches then GSR is the way to go and saves you money. My MR with an intake exhaust test pipe uicp and e85 beats a full bolt on gsr with an mhi turbo and the 6th gear really makes a difference when it comes to driving over 70mph! Drive both and decide on your plans for it and you will know which one is for you.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 09:35 AM

Imo, unless it's a super car, you'll never have more fun in an auto than a stick.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 03:14 PM

I have a gsr but having the extra gear on the highway has to be nice.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by loopin10
I have a gsr but having the extra gear on the highway has to be nice.
Yeah you're right about that hahah the drone could drive a man crazy
Old Oct 24, 2017, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the GSR and save yourself transmission worries. I like the way the Ralliart Sportback shifts, but the cost of a transmission replacement scares the boogeyman away in my dreams.

Quick Reply: Evo X MR or GSR?