Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Front end clunking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Front end clunking

Yes- there have been dozens of threads on this already, but for the life of me, I just cant't seem to find the source of this sound.

The clunk is only heard when you hit any kind of bumps in the road, like pot holes and such. So far I've checked the top hats, calipers, and the sway bar end links. It almost sounds like someones knocking on the door a few times whenever you hit a bump. I can try getting an audio/video clip, but I'm not sure if it'll be loud enough to overcome exhaust drone.

Has anyone else had clunking noises that were fixed? Or is there anywhere else I should be looking for worn/loose parts?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
When you checked the swaybars / endlinks, was the suspension loaded or unloaded? It should be loaded when you adjust all that. I'd get it up on ramps then loosen and re-tighten the swaybars / endlinks and ensure you have sufficient lublication in the middle part of the endlink if it has that rubber gasket piece. If you did all this already, and checked it with the suspension loaded, might be another issue.
The following users liked this post:
jakgal04 (Sep 19, 2017)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
When you checked the swaybars / endlinks, was the suspension loaded or unloaded? It should be loaded when you adjust all that. I'd get it up on ramps then loosen and re-tighten the swaybars / endlinks and ensure you have sufficient lublication in the middle part of the endlink if it has that rubber gasket piece. If you did all this already, and checked it with the suspension loaded, might be another issue.
Great, I'll give this a shot this weekend. Thanks for the tip!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
So with this being an 08 you might have to pull one of the front wheels, pull the shock and spring off and check that the bearing that is in the top hat isn't going out. This will cause the plate at the top of the spring to wobble and make a funny noise.

( the plate i'm taking about has the 3 bolts attached to it that go up into the car and attach to the brace across the firewall)
jakgal04 (Sep 19, 2017)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 01:56 PM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOX84
So with this being an 08 you might have to pull one of the front wheels, pull the shock and spring off and check that the bearing that is in the top hat isn't going out. This will cause the plate at the top of the spring to wobble and make a funny noise.

( the plate i'm taking about has the 3 bolts attached to it that go up into the car and attach to the brace across the firewall)
My 08 has the same thing. The top heat bearing is done. Repacking the tophat and fresh grease and a few shots of silicon spray has helped some. I'm waiting to just go with coilovers. The timing chain needed to come first. It had about a link length's of stretch on it
jakgal04 (Sep 19, 2017)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Top hat check is a good idea. Have you replaced the strut mount before? Rockauto has them for $35 each, but I'm not sure if they're any good or not.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 07:22 AM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jakgal04
Top hat check is a good idea. Have you replaced the strut mount before? Rockauto has them for $35 each, but I'm not sure if they're any good or not.
I haven't. I think for the price it's worth it. Though, compressing the springs is the only tough part. A set of spring compressors and an impact gun make it very quick. Mark your bolts with a marker or white pencil so you can keep your alignment in order when things go back together.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Can you put the link to the part from them up so we can check it out?

The strut mount is the plate that i was talking about that has the bearing in it that goes out all the time..... I have done a number of lowering spring replacement on my MR and my friends EVOs The strut mount has to come off when you do springs. Its held on by 1 nut at the top and then kind of pressed on to the strut. The most important part of this job is to make sure the top plate that the spring is held in place with is pointed in the right direction. This video talks about it and is the video i used to learn on how to replace springs.(
)

Extreme PSI has them for too, a bit more money but they have good pictures and a diagram of how the struct goes together. check it out

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/prod...roductid=31362
Old Sep 20, 2017, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Can you put the link to the part from them up so we can check it out?

The strut mount is the plate that i was talking about that has the bearing in it that goes out all the time..... I have done a number of lowering spring replacement on my MR and my friends EVOs The strut mount has to come off when you do springs. Its held on by 1 nut at the top and then kind of pressed on to the strut. The most important part of this job is to make sure the top plate that the spring is held in place with is pointed in the right direction. This video talks about it and is the video i used to learn on how to replace springs.( https://youtu.be/rYGrtuE2P6Q )

Extreme PSI has them for too, a bit more money but they have good pictures and a diagram of how the struct goes together. check it out

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/prod...roductid=31362

Awesome, I'll check that video out. Here is the rock auto part http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/m...rut+mount,7600
Old Sep 20, 2017, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AJV
I haven't. I think for the price it's worth it. Though, compressing the springs is the only tough part. A set of spring compressors and an impact gun make it very quick. Mark your bolts with a marker or white pencil so you can keep your alignment in order when things go back together.
Why bother compressing springs when you can just play compressed spring roulette and just impact it off?

Now that I think of it, if I'm just going to replace the top hats, it might even be possible to unbolt the top strut bolt and 3 top hat bolts with the car on the ground, then lift the car to take the top hat off without ever needing to unbolt the bottom of the strut. Think it would be possible? I'm sure I'll find out when I climb under it Friday lol
Old Sep 21, 2017, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome, I'll check that video out. Here is the rock auto part http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/m...rut+mount,7600
Im sure that one will work fine. Just make sure that you press the bearing in all the way as it looks like they sell it as two different parts.

I would also call and ask them what it would be from them. the RA one looks a little different than I remember but I'm sure they wouldnt sell it if it wasnt a direct replacement.... or i would hope not anyways!

Good luck, also you will need an alignment when you are done with all this.... just and FYI
jakgal04 (Sep 21, 2017)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Im sure that one will work fine. Just make sure that you press the bearing in all the way as it looks like they sell it as two different parts.

I would also call and ask them what it would be from them. the RA one looks a little different than I remember but I'm sure they wouldnt sell it if it wasnt a direct replacement.... or i would hope not anyways!

Good luck, also you will need an alignment when you are done with all this.... just and FYI
Sounds great! Now I'm stuck deciding whether or not I should just use this as an excuse to get coilovers . We'll see how it goes lol