Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Catch Can, what brand and when you really need one

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Catch Can, what brand and when you really need one

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to see what kind of catch can everyone is running?!? I have been looking for a while and i have read a number of different posts about them. Some people say you only needed them when you run E85 some say you need one b/c these are Turbo cars. I have been looking at the DF V3 overflow/Catch can but wanted to talk about it with you all to see what you think.

Here is what i have going on with my car...
2015 MR
The car is on a stock tune/turbo/DP/CAT (its getting to be winter here in CHI Town so im waiting till the spring for a tune)

ETS UICP/LICP
ETS 3" Intercooler
ETS Intake
ETS Extreme CatBack
AEM Boost and AFR Gauges (had my buddy put an O2 bung on the stock DP)

Before you ask yourself why im even asking when im still on a stock tune and all that..... When i pulled the stock intake off there was oil in the intake where the valve cover line runs to the intake tube.... (all mods were done at once)

Anyways, thanks for the read and your comments if you leave them!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I have a DrivenFab catch can, and it works very well. I pull about 200ml of junk out of it between oil changes, every 3000 miles. My only complain is the catch can fumes creeping inside the cabin. Generally worst during stop and go traffic, once you're moving there's no smell. I've been contemplating having it modified to recirculate back into the intake. No issues at all with it, no complains.
The following users liked this post:
EVOX84 (Nov 2, 2017)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm using a Beatrush and Radium set up.

Zero complaints.
EVOX84 (Nov 2, 2017)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by six40
I have a DrivenFab catch can, and it works very well. I pull about 200ml of junk out of it between oil changes, every 3000 miles. My only complain is the catch can fumes creeping inside the cabin. Generally worst during stop and go traffic, once you're moving there's no smell. I've been contemplating having it modified to recirculate back into the intake. No issues at all with it, no complains.
Was all do you have done to the car?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by static_set
I'm using a Beatrush and Radium set up.

Zero complaints.
same question, what all do you have done to the car
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOX84
Was all do you have done to the car?

Stock longblock, FP Black & supporting mods. Right around 475whp on a conservative tune. 122mph in the 1/4, full weight daily driver. Going to go for more next year I think.
EVOX84 (Nov 2, 2017)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I'm using a sealed Mighty Mouse can. It's built very well and not crazy money. Great support as well. I mounted it under the intake air filter.

-10AN off the front of the valve cover and standard 6AN size port on drivers side. All sealed with -6AN and -10AN to 3.5" intake. Great part about sealed is you don't smell anything.

600whp

I went extra effort to hide all the lines since I live in California.

With cover off:

With cover on:

With intake off:

With intake on:

EVOX84 (Nov 2, 2017)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I'm using a sealed Mighty Mouse can. It's built very well and not crazy money. Great support as well. I mounted it under the intake air filter.

-10AN off the front of the valve cover and standard 6AN size port on drivers side. All sealed with -6AN and -10AN to 3.5" intake. Great part about sealed is you don't smell anything.

600whp

I went extra effort to hide all the lines since I live in California.

With cover off:

With cover on:

With intake off:

With intake on:

Love the build!!! thank you for sharing
Old Nov 3, 2017, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOX84
same question, what all do you have done to the car
A substantial number of things. I'm the weird guy that runs heavy lift cams on a stock frame turbo. You should be able to see both of the OCCs in this picture (passenger firewall / passenger headlight.)

EVOX84 (Nov 6, 2017)
Old Nov 3, 2017, 08:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by static_set
A substantial number of things. I'm the weird guy that runs heavy lift cams on a stock frame turbo. You should be able to see both of the OCCs in this picture (passenger firewall / passenger headlight.)

What oil cap is that? Been looking for one I can put an -AN fitting in.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
What oil cap is that? Been looking for one I can put an -AN fitting in.

That's from Laile as well

-asher
Old Nov 14, 2017, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm smelling a lot of burnt oil after driving around @ freeway speeds and such. I wanted to get a catch can to throw in line but after reading tons of threads after searching now i'm second guessing myself. I use to have a catch can & check valve on my SRT-4 several years ago, but have completely forgotten my setup and need for the check valve. I was thinking about throwing just a little cheap ebay check valve in line on the Valve cover to Intake line such as the one here. Is this okay to do?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Catch-R...1X7Mea&vxp=mtr
Old Nov 15, 2017, 01:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by statusleds
Hey guys,

I'm smelling a lot of burnt oil after driving around @ freeway speeds and such. I wanted to get a catch can to throw in line but after reading tons of threads after searching now i'm second guessing myself. I use to have a catch can & check valve on my SRT-4 several years ago, but have completely forgotten my setup and need for the check valve. I was thinking about throwing just a little cheap ebay check valve in line on the Valve cover to Intake line such as the one here. Is this okay to do?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Catch-R...1X7Mea&vxp=mtr
Those are crap. They leak, don't seal well and the build quality on the inside and outside is poor.

Ask me how I know this.

Also don't use a cheap PCV valve. If you're going to eliminate the stock plastic PCV, consider this one:
http://rjcracing.com/product/rjc-pcv/

I have personally used this on multiple turbo cars of mine and it works flawlessly. The thing you're looking for here is valve holding back pressure when the manifold sees boost.

Last edited by KRome; Nov 15, 2017 at 01:43 PM.
EVOX84 (Nov 15, 2017)
Old Nov 15, 2017, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KRome
Those are crap. They leak, don't seal well and the build quality on the inside and outside is poor.

Ask me how I know this.

Also don't use a cheap PCV valve. If you're going to eliminate the stock plastic PCV, consider this one:
http://rjcracing.com/product/rjc-pcv/

I have personally used this on multiple turbo cars of mine and it works flawlessly. The thing you're looking for here is valve holding back pressure when the manifold sees boost.
My question here (and maybe i'm missing something) am I just throwing that check valve on the line my PCV is on? If i'm to remove the PCV wtf is the hose going to connect to lol. TIA
Old Nov 15, 2017, 08:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Yea don't use a cheap PCV valve unless you like a windshield and engine bay full of oil.

Quick Reply: Catch Can, what brand and when you really need one