Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Advice on keep or sell '14 GSR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on keep or sell '14 GSR

Hi everyone, I have a RR 2014 GSR. My car back in June had the #4 spark plug break into the cylinder causing low compression. Motor has 23k on it. AMS is my local shop and they confirmed that it needs a new short block after inspecting it.

My car has full ETS bolt ons (3"intercooler, titanium upper and black lower piping, recirc downpipe, quiet exhaust, air filter) Cobb ap (sigh), Cobb 3port, short throw shifter with cable and base bushings. I have all the stock parts and car is fully paid off.

I was thinking about keeping it being that this is the car I've always wanted, I just can't justify leaving money in the garage just sitting there instead of gaining interest. If I was to sell I was planning on asking for 20k and everything is yours.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 07:58 AM

Seems like a pretty good price for the year and mileage. I bought my 2011 with 60k miles on it in MINT condition for 21k. Depending on who your buyer is, if they'll be doing the work themselves or if they'll be paying someone else to do it.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
If you got a new shortblock would you keep it as a daily driver or would you go full built?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by booosted14
Hi everyone, I have a RR 2014 GSR. My car back in June had the #4 spark plug break into the cylinder causing low compression. Motor has 23k on it. AMS is my local shop and they confirmed that it needs a new short block after inspecting it.

My car has full ETS bolt ons (3"intercooler, titanium upper and black lower piping, recirc downpipe, quiet exhaust, air filter) Cobb ap (sigh), Cobb 3port, short throw shifter with cable and base bushings. I have all the stock parts and car is fully paid off.

I was thinking about keeping it being that this is the car I've always wanted, I just can't justify leaving money in the garage just sitting there instead of gaining interest. If I was to sell I was planning on asking for 20k and everything is yours.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Call Boostin in Hoffman estates and talk to them. They are just north of AMS if you didn't know. Might have some other options for you as far as $$$ goes and how much to fix it. I know a few people in the area that have blown motors and had them rebuilt by Boostin for a good price.

They know their stuff! I have talked to a number of shops around the country about building my MR and even Kozmic MS (best SST shop in the US) says my car would be in good hands @ Boostin. I told them that i live 10 mins from AMS and 20 from Boostin.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 08:27 AM

I would check into how much it is to repair the block. It can't possibly be more than the amount of money you are losing on just selling it.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Maybe you could have your motor sleeved.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
If you shop smart and get lucky like I did, you might be able to score a fresh low mile shortblock like I did for almost free If it's paid off and you have something else to get around in for the time being - I would hang on to it and fix it. Like you said, it's the car you've always wanted.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by six40
If you shop smart and get lucky like I did, you might be able to score a fresh low mile shortblock like I did for almost free If it's paid off and you have something else to get around in for the time being - I would hang on to it and fix it. Like you said, it's the car you've always wanted.
i agree. I'd have a hard time selling it. You have the last year Evo x with Recaro seats. Broken parts are just an excuse to upgrade. With two great shops nearby it would be hard not to.

Yes, you could be making some interest, but you need toys too!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 06:18 PM

If you enjoy the car,fix issues and keep. Parts are replaceable but cars that have low supply arent sometimes...
Old Nov 18, 2017, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF you are not tight on money at the moment just keep it and fix it
Old Nov 19, 2017, 05:53 AM

Thank you all for the replies, I wasn't able to get back online for a few days.
I guess my biggest concern with keeping the car and getting it re built is how much life I could expect out of the new build. I wouldn't want to spend several thousand for it to blow up on me again later. All the re built motor threads of people having them fail again is a little scary.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 07:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess my biggest concern with keeping the car and getting it re built is how much life I could expect out of the new build. I wouldn't want to spend several thousand for it to blow up on me again later. All the re built motor threads of people having them fail again is a little scary.
Talk to boosting performance, they can help you get that block fixed and build you something reliable that you will enjoy. I have a fully built evo X and the only issue I had after the build is the MPG's.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Go to the right shop and don't go 'zomg I need 600 to the pavement lawl' and you'll have a car that could easily go 150k with the new engine. Just keep it reasonable with power and enjoy. I'd just swap the engine over and get the car sitting at 'test pipe, drop in filter, EBCS, UICP & Tune'. That's very safe and still 'fun/plenty of' power.