Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New Evo X Owner!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New Evo X Owner!

Well.. I have been quietly reading your threads on here and studying your cars, discussions etc. So.. I am no doubt the oldest guy on here. I'm 52 and just purchased in August the last remaining new Evo X MR in Apex Silver (with Touring Package) from a dealer in Denver, CO. I bought it site unseen, had never driven one before let alone sat in one. Bought a one way ticket from Seattle to Denver, spent almost a full day filling out paperwork when I got there, then planned my 4 day drive back to Seattle vowing to never take any interstates or main roads. Drove through the rockies, 5 states and finally into Seattle. (Oh and made one last stop at car toys to have my Valentine One fitted and hard wired in before leaving CO)
All can say is I got to know my new car really well... and even on the full break in period of 600 miles and not going above 5,000 rpm it is faster than 98.5% of every other car / truck on the road in the continental United States. And cornering.. it defy's the laws of physics in the known universe. I laid wast to every country boy in a pick up, every subaru forester, Buick, Ford... there is no car that can bend time / space at will like the Evo. The sad part is.. I never needed to get it above quarter power the whole way back to vaporize any one foolish enough to attempt to keep up.

I am not going to mess with this car in any way engine wise and the only accessories are, and will be standard OEM items from my local dealer. Which... I have already started with. Just dropped $3,000+ on the Mitsubishi MMCS NAVIGATION SYSTEM with 7 inch HD touchscreen, Evo X mud-flaps and the side window wind deflectors. And don't get me started on the Recaro Seat situation because I am so pissed at this. Have already priced up and got the part numbers for a set of new dealer supplied heated leather Recaro OEM from the parts dept. $12K with install. (And that is if they can figure out the air bag light situation) I'm not buying into the story of "they no longer conform to the US side impact airbag requirement BS. I called dealers in Canada and the cars their were still sold with Recaro's right up to the end so some one in Japan is lying.

Next up I need some feedback on is the air damn kits. I LOVE the looks of this stuff. Does any one have images of their cars with the 2015 kits installed? Front, Rear and sides? This will be the last accessory install apart from retro fitting the Recaro's some time next year. I am confused as to how much the side aero skirts have been re designed from previous years?

And as for personalized license plates.. who ever has "GO ON 3".. that is just hysterical. I showed the image of the back of your car in one thread on here to my dad (he is 85 and just got him into a nursing home.. he laughed so hard I thought the medics may need to resuscitate him. He is still talking about it days later)

I love all of your cars by the way, at least the ones I have seen on here. Your a great crew.

All the best and Merry Christmas
Old Dec 22, 2017, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Welcome aboard. Glad to see people of all ages enjoying these things. My dad is turning 55 and he's always joking around about taking my car for a day to work and dropping subtle hints he wants it LOL he loves the car.

Merry Christmas to you as well!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 06:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome, and enjoy your Evo!!!

Nice TRON reference, BTW...
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ALAN - 1
Well.. I have been quietly reading your threads on here and studying your cars, discussions etc. So.. I am no doubt the oldest guy on here. I'm 52 and just purchased in August the last remaining new Evo X MR in Apex Silver (with Touring Package) from a dealer in Denver, CO. I bought it site unseen, had never driven one before let alone sat in one. Bought a one way ticket from Seattle to Denver, spent almost a full day filling out paperwork when I got there, then planned my 4 day drive back to Seattle vowing to never take any interstates or main roads. Drove through the rockies, 5 states and finally into Seattle. (Oh and made one last stop at car toys to have my Valentine One fitted and hard wired in before leaving CO)
All can say is I got to know my new car really well... and even on the full break in period of 600 miles and not going above 5,000 rpm it is faster than 98.5% of every other car / truck on the road in the continental United States. And cornering.. it defy's the laws of physics in the known universe. I laid wast to every country boy in a pick up, every subaru forester, Buick, Ford... there is no car that can bend time / space at will like the Evo. The sad part is.. I never needed to get it above quarter power the whole way back to vaporize any one foolish enough to attempt to keep up.

I am not going to mess with this car in any way engine wise and the only accessories are, and will be standard OEM items from my local dealer. Which... I have already started with. Just dropped $3,000+ on the Mitsubishi MMCS NAVIGATION SYSTEM with 7 inch HD touchscreen, Evo X mud-flaps and the side window wind deflectors. And don't get me started on the Recaro Seat situation because I am so pissed at this. Have already priced up and got the part numbers for a set of new dealer supplied heated leather Recaro OEM from the parts dept. $12K with install. (And that is if they can figure out the air bag light situation) I'm not buying into the story of "they no longer conform to the US side impact airbag requirement BS. I called dealers in Canada and the cars their were still sold with Recaro's right up to the end so some one in Japan is lying.

Next up I need some feedback on is the air damn kits. I LOVE the looks of this stuff. Does any one have images of their cars with the 2015 kits installed? Front, Rear and sides? This will be the last accessory install apart from retro fitting the Recaro's some time next year. I am confused as to how much the side aero skirts have been re designed from previous years?

And as for personalized license plates.. who ever has "GO ON 3".. that is just hysterical. I showed the image of the back of your car in one thread on here to my dad (he is 85 and just got him into a nursing home.. he laughed so hard I thought the medics may need to resuscitate him. He is still talking about it days later)

I love all of your cars by the way, at least the ones I have seen on here. Your a great crew.

All the best and Merry Christmas
Enjoy man it's a wonderful car Good call on just leaving it alone. You can do one thing that does nothing but smooth out a stumble in the higher RPM band, without voiding a warranty or needing a tune etc.. Just get a Cosworth drop in air filter. It's non oiled, costs about 50 bucks and just replace it as you would the OEM one. It addresses that small stumble, and if I had a time machine, is all I would have ever done to my MR aside from an exhaust for fun.

GL with the car
Old Dec 22, 2017, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the air filter. To blunt, I paid an extra $3,800 for the extended warranty also. Good for 10 years and / or 100,000 miles. Once the manager at Shortline Mitsubishi in Denver told me how much it cost to replace the SST gear box ($18,000) with labor I said.. "where do sign?" I really want to keep it as is from the factory. The one thing I will do when the warranty expires is wipe the engine chip. If this brings the BHP up to 303+ like the FE's I would be happy with just that. I know that in the UK and Japan they came out of the factory at 350 BHP+. But to put things in perspective, here is a fun story that happened just last month:

I have a Land Rover LR2 as my work/child carrier etc car and was in having a new thermostat installed. It was a 4 hour wait so I decided to look around the show room. I spied a sexy Jag F Type. The sales man came over and asked if I wanted to take one out for a test drive. I said.. "you must be really bored" He said (quietly looking around to make sure no one could hear.). "actually I really am bored" I laughed. Okay, lets take it for a burn and blow out those cobwebs. He had an entry level F Type outside in white. He warmed it up and off we went. I asked him while driving.. "is this rear wheel drive or all wheel drive?" He said all wheel drive. Okay then, game on. I asked if he knew of any really twisty roads we could hoof it around. He replied yes. 20 minutes later we are heading up this twisty turny 30-50MPH two lane going uphill for a mile. I hammered it! 2nd, 3rd, back to down 2nd, high RPM, and floored it coming into a tight right hander.. then.. pow.. the back end slid out and we were sideways! He screamed.. I blurted out "oh ****" while in opposite lock. I came off the power easy and tucked the car back in line (my pulse rate over 200) and looked at him. I was ready to put my hands around his neck. "I thought you said this was all wheel drive!!" He looked at me blankly. "Its rear wheel drive only, isn't it?!!. That is information I could have used previously!" God, what a dweeb.
Any way, suffice it say that I opened it up on the way back and tested the 0-60 on some straights.. I kept thinking... this is not as fast I thought it was going to be. It's plush.. sexy.. smooth as silk. Sounded great... but not that quick. I got home and looked it up on Jags website. The car I drove was 0-60 in 5.5, and only 296BHP. For $60,000. Plus tax, plates etc out the door more like $75,000. To get this car in a version that will beat an Evo, you have spend $100,000 on a 500 HP Supercharged V8. Its insane.

Last edited by ALAN - 1; Dec 22, 2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Answered wrong reply
Old Dec 23, 2017, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the heads up on the air filter. To blunt, I paid an extra $3,800 for the extended warranty also. Good for 10 years and / or 100,000 miles. Once the manager at Shortline Mitsubishi in Denver told me how much it cost to replace the SST gear box ($18,000) with labor I said.. "where do sign?" I really want to keep it as is from the factory. The one thing I will do when the warranty expires is wipe the engine chip. If this brings the BHP up to 303+ like the FE's I would be happy with just that. I know that in the UK and Japan they came out of the factory at 350 BHP+. But to put things in perspective, here is a fun story that happened just last month:

I have a Land Rover LR2 as my work/child carrier etc car and was in having a new thermostat installed. It was a 4 hour wait so I decided to look around the show room. I spied a sexy Jag F Type. The sales man came over and asked if I wanted to take one out for a test drive. I said.. "you must be really bored" He said (quietly looking around to make sure no one could hear.). "actually I really am bored" I laughed. Okay, lets take it for a burn and blow out those cobwebs. He had an entry level F Type outside in white. He warmed it up and off we went. I asked him while driving.. "is this rear wheel drive or all wheel drive?" He said all wheel drive. Okay then, game on. I asked if he knew of any really twisty roads we could hoof it around. He replied yes. 20 minutes later we are heading up this twisty turny 30-50MPH two lane going uphill for a mile. I hammered it! 2nd, 3rd, back to down 2nd, high RPM, and floored it coming into a tight right hander.. then.. pow.. the back end slid out and we were sideways! He screamed.. I blurted out "oh ****" while in opposite lock. I came off the power easy and tucked the car back in line (my pulse rate over 200) and looked at him. I was ready to put my hands around his neck. "I thought you said this was all wheel drive!!" He looked at me blankly. "Its rear wheel drive only, isn't it?!!. That is information I could have used previously!" God, what a dweeb.
Any way, suffice it say that I opened it up on the way back and tested the 0-60 on some straights.. I kept thinking... this is not as fast I thought it was going to be. It's plush.. sexy.. smooth as silk. Sounded great... but not that quick. I got home and looked it up on Jags website. The car I drove was 0-60 in 5.5, and only 296BHP. For $60,000. Plus tax, plates etc out the door more like $75,000. To get this car in a version that will beat an Evo, you have spend $100,000 on a 500 HP Supercharged V8. Its insane.
The air filter is not a warranty voiding item. It's an OEM size fitment and does not require a tune or modification to run. The materials are just a bit better and not as restrictive. Get used to the car, and keep it in mind if you feel the stumble @ around 6k RPM's full out in first / second gear.

Enjoy the car it is a very well done car!
Old Dec 23, 2017, 09:03 AM

Napalm, thanks. I'm really lucky in that the tech at the dealership I go to has an Evo himself and is constantly working on it. When would you suggest fitting the new air filter? At the next service? I have done 4,570 miles so far and the next service is due at 6K. What site can I go to order the filter? Secondly, what exhaust would you have done for fun? I have heard many stories, but not sure exactly what the advantages are.

To me right now the most important high ticket items to add are the front/side/rear air damns and then finally get those crappy lancer seats and get the Recaro's installed.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Napalm, thanks. I'm really lucky in that the tech at the dealership I go to has an Evo himself and is constantly working on it. When would you suggest fitting the new air filter? At the next service? I have done 4,570 miles so far and the next service is due at 6K. What site can I go to order the filter? Secondly, what exhaust would you have done for fun? I have heard many stories, but not sure exactly what the advantages are.

To me right now the most important high ticket items to add are the front/side/rear air damns and then finally get those crappy lancer seats and get the Recaro's installed.
Suggestions for your car -

- Get quality 4 wheel alignment - factory alignment will eat up tires quickly ~13k or under - research alignment specs - ensure place can align AWD before going

- Air filter - https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...tic-air-filter you can put this on whenever

- Would change transmission fluid @ 5000 miles just to get initial breakin material out

- Recommended to drive S-Sport manual as much as possible (I enjoyed doing so all of the time) because it doesn't slip the clutches as much as sport / normal so will make them last a LOT longer. ~2500 to replace clutches so you want them to last

- Always let transmission come up to temp before romping on it

- The SST is a special transmission, so if you ever do decide to get it tuned, only go to the best that can work with it and not break it. Kozmicmotorsports.com did all the work on mine and they do outstanding SST work.

- Exhaust wise - I got a Sakura exhaust, it sounded fantastic but is a 3" exhaust so you would need to get tuned for it. I liked the sound of the Cobb exhaust, a lot of people like the ETS Quiet as well. Lot of options, try and hear it in person before buying if possible.

Hope that helps, just a few tips from long time owner - 42 here, so age and fun cars is irrelevant lol

Last edited by Napalm_Enema; Dec 23, 2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree that age doesn't matter (at least that is what I tell myself) - I'm 45. Since you are in the PNW, I would highly recommend English Racing in Camas for any work that you need done. I have the Cobb dual outlet exhaust on my 2014 MR and like it - I was looking for performance improvement without being significantly louder so that my wife would still ride in the car.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 07:59 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Grats. Definitely check out the pacific northwest section here and on FB. We do a lot of drives.

English is great, but stick with the dealer for a while until the warranty is out. No need to spend money if someone will do it for free, especially if you're sticking with OEM parts.

On the Recaro seats, you can just reuse your seatbelt buckles from your existing seats, all other parts work, won't get a warning light.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema

- Exhaust wise - I got a Sakura exhaust, it sounded fantastic but is a 3" exhaust so you would need to get tuned for it. I liked the sound of the Cobb exhaust, a lot of people like the ETS Quiet as well. Lot of options, try and hear it in person before buying if possible.
I have the Cobb and love it. Can't compare it to any of the other "quiet" exhausts but for me the Cobb is great and only noticeable when you want it to be.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
+1 on the Cosworth filter. It's a slight improvement, but you will notice it if you drive it immediately after driving the stocker. The stock filter has like a flutter in most of the RPM range, and the engine seems ever so slightly restrictive.

I plan on keeping my GSR stock too but probably will add an intake at some point and have it tuned on a dyno, then leave it at that.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by migs647
Grats. Definitely check out the pacific northwest section here and on FB. We do a lot of drives.

English is great, but stick with the dealer for a while until the warranty is out. No need to spend money if someone will do it for free, especially if you're sticking with OEM parts.

On the Recaro seats, you can just reuse your seatbelt buckles from your existing seats, all other parts work, won't get a warning light.

I plan to keep going to my local dealer. They have been superb so far. And as I said earlier, I purchased the extra warranty to extend it out to 100K miles / 10 years. I will fit the air filter at the next service.

As for the Recaro's are the seat belts that have come with it the same as the original seat belts and buckles that were installed when they came with Recaro's? My dealer will be ordering the seats and fitting them in the new year, and so far with parts and labor they are quoting $10K for the heated leather Recaro's. I have heard different levels of success in not having the various warning lights come on or stay off once fitted correctly.

As for exhausts.. that way down the road. I would like to get the air damns fitted first, then Recaro's and only then look at possibly upgrading the exhaust system, but to be blunt, the standard exhaust sounds pretty good as is.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

I plan to keep going to my local dealer. They have been superb so far. And as I said earlier, I purchased the extra warranty to extend it out to 100K miles / 10 years. I will fit the air filter at the next service.

As for the Recaro's are the seat belts that have come with it the same as the original seat belts and buckles that were installed when they came with Recaro's? My dealer will be ordering the seats and fitting them in the new year, and so far with parts and labor they are quoting $10K for the heated leather Recaro's. I have heard different levels of success in not having the various warning lights come on or stay off once fitted correctly.

As for exhausts.. that way down the road. I would like to get the air damns fitted first, then Recaro's and only then look at possibly upgrading the exhaust system, but to be blunt, the standard exhaust sounds pretty good as is.
Stock exhaust does sound great. I only changed it after a while but it took a long time to want to / need to. The 2014+ came with a revised exhaust that actually sounds pretty good stock imo.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Alan. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your MR!

As far as Recaro seats. They’re expensive as hell as you’ve researched. Buddy of mine got Cusco Bride seats installed on his 15 GSR. They’re freaking awesome. He had to order the seats and the rail system to fit it in. Just a suggestion to go aftermarket. For price purposes.

Quick Reply: New Evo X Owner!