Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Thermostat issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 07:50 AM
NuJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat issue

Let me preface everything by saying I am relatively new to cars as far as parts and identifying problems (I literally need pictures to look at) so apologies in advance if i ask dumb questions.

Back in May of last year, my temp was jumping all over the place. Turns out the thermostat had to be replaced.

I'm having the same problem again, but it's not as drastic or often. Temp goes down 1-2 notches but comes back up to normal within a few seconds. However, this time it didn't show a code. I've gone multiple days without it moving, and days where it moves frequently. Seems to warm up at a normal rate too. Doesn't seem like the thermostat is broken based on past experience.

Had the dealership take a look at it and asked for a new thermostat under warranty, they said since there's no code and they can't duplicate the problem, it wouldn't be covered.

Checked the forums for some fixes. I opened the radiator cap. I tried to "check the ground wire from intake manifold to firewall ground", but I'm not sure I'm even looking at the right thing. Any help identifying this would be appreciated.

My step is to just flush the coolant if problem persists. Possibly just buy a new thermostat. I need peace of mind.

My car is tuned with ETS intake and turboback. That's why I'm reluctant to keep bothering the dealership, they've been pretty good about warranty despite my car being modified.

Any other checks or fixes I failed to find, let me know.

TIA.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Its okay if the gauge is moving +/- a notch or so. There could be some air in the lines though. With the car cool, take the radiator cap off, then turn the car on and put the heat on full blast. See if any bubbles come up.