Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2014 Evo X GSR clutch knock? HELP!?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Evo X GSR clutch knock? HELP!?

Just recently purchased a 2014 Evo GSR WW (about a month ago) car runs great but i just recently started to hear a "knocking" sound that seems to be coming from the transmission.
(Link to video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ7iEN9-egE&list=UUNCMbfwvPyl4iY5UrugnnLw

More in depth:.....
I bought the car about 1 month ago.Its My first stick shift car i have ever owned and absolutely love it. I learned to drive stick on this car, i stalled, and grinded gears like 3 times at most (no insane grinds just minimal ones).
One night i was parking in to the garage but i had to reverse. I had lost reverse apparently, it wouldnt engage the reverse lights would not kick in ect. gears 1-5 worked, just not reverse. I also noticed my shifter was sloppy.. very sloppy
example: I would put the car in first gear 1 but the shifter would move side to side like if it were to be in Neutral it was really sloppy. Fast forward a couple days I see the problem under the hood. The clip from the under hood shifter bushing ( vertical one) had came off and the linkage had been separated which caused the sloppy shifter and the loss of reverse. I went ahead and zip tied it back into place temporarily. My reverse was working and the shifter was feeling normal and no longer sloppy. I went ahead and ordered AMS under hood bushings, installed them and so far so good. but now im getting a knocking sound, which i will explain in as much detail as i can a long with a video clip.
In detail:
Car is running great AMS under hood bushings installed, no problems. but i am getting a knocking sound definitely not engine knock or rod knock. Why? well because the sound goes away when the clutch is fully engaged. I can hear the knocking when clutch is not engaged (idling)----
example: lets say im idling at a parking lot, you can hear the knock, its not loud but its slight. if i just got done "flooring it" and i then went to go park and go back to idleing, the knock gets a little louder (at idle) you cant hear it at all when in gear, just idle.
I can also make the "knock" go away. How? by pushing the shifter forward (clutch not engaged) with a bit of pressure as if i were to engage a gear with the clutch not engaged. the knock will go away you can maybe hear it just a little bit but to the the point its basically inaudible.
Going back to my shifter, its tighter as i said in the beginning buttt lets say im in first gear or any gear for that matter there is slight play in the shifter left to right when in any gear maybe a inch or half of an inch of play, i dont know if its normal but thought i would include it in.
The car is said to have a stage 3 clutch, whether thats true or not i dont know and have no way of knowing lol i was told by the dealer it was recently put in but who knows.
IN SHORT:
Clutch engaged - No noise
Clutch not engaged - noise

No noise- pushing the shifter forward a bit with clutch not engaged
noise- when shifter is in neutral position and clutch not engaged
Old Jun 15, 2018, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Reagardless, you're going to have to pull the transmission to fix it. Based on what I'm reading I would speculate that it's the release (throw out) bearing. Could be other things. Does the noise change with the clutch disengaged while in gear vs in neutral?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 07:09 PM

Everything is perfect when in gear at any speed. I only hear the "knock"/ ticking when idle and in neutral. Unless i press the clutch down then the noise will go away. as i also stated, if the car is in neutral, and i push the shifter forward (clutch not depressed) the noise will dampen or fully become inaudible.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 08:13 PM

Hey whats up bud, honestly I wouldn't worry about it to much (im sure this comment is gonna cause multiple shots to be fired lol) but after reading your description on the knock details it sounds like yours makes the same noise as mine. does your evos symptoms sound similar to these?... never makes the noise in any gear. usually just does it when you go to park especially at a slow speed/while idling or close to it and most commonly with the wheel turned right b4 coming to full stop. I've got a 2013 GSR with 15,000 miles on it and it does the same thing. it was worrisome at first until I realized it had to do with it having an aftermarket clutch installed (mine has a ACT Heavy Duty (Monoloc) 6-Puck Clutch Kit: ) maybe u have the same 1 if so pop the hood and look from the driverside you'll be able to see a small section of a yellow disc
Old Jun 22, 2018, 08:17 PM

now in regards to reverse going out and all that im not commenting on cause I don't know anything about that