Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Concern with clutch Please help

Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concern with clutch Please help

Hey im looking at a Evo X with 10,000 miles on it and the clutch engagement point is all the way at the top. I know this usually means the clutch is going out. That said, since the car is completely stock, could the clutch pill be affecting it?

Also, the place im considering buying from is saying they charge $300 for a compression test when i know the test takes no time at all. Sounds fishy i know but the car itself is in stupid good condition so i need help lol. Runs and idles great and i couldnt find anything aftermarket on it besides the radio. Pls give advice and thanks
Old Jun 30, 2018, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Engagement point is pretty high, sounds about normal. If it was going out you would feel it slip imo. Get a compression and leakdown test, they cost a bit usually but worth it when buying a turbo car second hand imo.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Stock GSR clutch engagement point is high. It's at like the top quarter of travel. You get used to it.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I'd be less concerned with the clutch and more with the seller. Any reasonable used car dealer/seller will allow you to get the car inspected independently. Even for $100 I wouldn't want the dealer I'm buying the car from to do the compression test. It sounds like they might not be such a seller.... If you're really interested in the car and you think the price is going to be right, I'd ask if you can take a slightly longer test drive and take it to a shop nearby for a 30 min once-over. If you make the arrangements in advance, you can get everything checked out before you put money on the table.