Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2013 Evo MR - Dealership Question...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Evo MR - Dealership Question...

So on paper, it looks great - 46K miles for a 2013 MR @ 23K$.

My biggest concern is that the rep I spoke with has no idea what mods have been done to it, and seemed completely clueless to what mods even are. I know for sure from just looking at it, theres been tuning. I kept asking for somebody to produce a list of the mods, and nobody really could help me out. I know for sure there is a Cobb accessport, blow off valve, intake, downpipe, and tuned to e85.

Now where things get wonky for me...is that this dealership is adamant of two things -
1. The original "drivetrain" warranty from Mitsubishi goes up to 100,000 miles or 5 years...the expired "powertrain warranty" 5 year/60k miles is separate coverage.
2. The extended warranty from the dealership (4K$) would cover everything upon failure.

So the questions...my main concern is having the car covered under a warranty. I know these things, especially if modded, can be roughed up.

1. From what I can gather, Mitsubishi's "Powertrain" warranty includes drivetrain components, and is in fact expired. Is there a separate warranty that covers drivetrain components up to 100K miles?

2. Does an extended warranty really cover failures with all these mods? If they sell me the 4K extended warranty, and I do no additional mods to the car - is the warranty really a guarantee? It just seems too good to be true...

Any help is appreciated to an evo noob. Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Just pass on a used MR man, there are better cheaper cars out there. GSR in an EVO or nothing - seriously I speak from experience
Old Jul 14, 2018, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
No, extended warranties will not cover the power-train. Plenty of threads on here of members buying used Evos and then not having work covered under warranty even though the dealer they bought it from said it would.
The following users liked this post:
04AWDTURBOEVO (Jul 25, 2018)
Old Jul 23, 2018, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Unverified “tuned” MR on a ******* Fobb access port. Just pass on this one likeNapalm said. You want an MR, get one that is all stock. Or tuned right by the big boys(English Racing) with receipts and dyno sheets as evidence.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Just pass on a used MR man, there are better cheaper cars out there. GSR in an EVO or nothing - seriously I speak from experience
So you get sick once after eating fried Chicken. Are you going to tell the World to pass on eating Chicken based on your experience? Or a better one, you dated a blond and had a bad relationship. Now based on your experience are you going to tell everyone to pass dating blonds?

Now if your personal experience was based on your ownership of at least100 used MR's and all of them were negative then that is reasonable and would be great logical advise. But based on 1 car out of thousands out there your advise is not very solid as you have very limited experience.

I am assuming you had one MR. If you had 100 of them, I am sorry for the post.

I have had 3 X MR's for example. And I loved and love all of them. Great cars.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
So you get sick once after eating fried Chicken. Are you going to tell the World to pass on eating Chicken based on your experience? Or a better one, you dated a blond and had a bad relationship. Now based on your experience are you going to tell everyone to pass dating blonds?

Now if your personal experience was based on your ownership of at least100 used MR's and all of them were negative then that is reasonable and would be great logical advise. But based on 1 car out of thousands out there your advise is not very solid as you have very limited experience.

3? They keep breaking on you? I kid I kid.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
3? They keep breaking on you? I kid I kid.
Hahaha

I first got a 2013 MR basic model with no leather and the basic sound system after my 2004 Evo 8 was stolen and never found.. Did not like it after a while and traded it in for leather and sound in 2014.

Then when the 2015's came out I traded it the 14 again as I wanted to have the last year Evo ♤

Best car I have ever had. I am loving it afyer 3 1/2 years now. Just put new tires on it today ♤
Old Aug 1, 2018, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it is modded, then it has been driven hard, most likely, just food for thought.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO

I base my post on a few things really -

1. They are no longer making the EVO, so to contemplate buying an EVO with a hyper specialized expensive to replace or work on transmission isn't a good idea, imo.

2. Most people modify EVO's. Most people that modify EVO's don't take the extra time and money to get an MR with the SST tuned properly by a great tuner. I would rather not have a second hand 'who knows' how the transmission has been operated EVO due to point number 1 if something breaks

3. The people that can actually work on the MR transmission are few and far between, and they will start disappearing as the platform continues to age. I know of two I'd go to, one in Houston, one in Colorado, and maybe one in Utah/California? That's just not good odds for finding quality work for your MR.

4. No tuners have 100% cracked the code for the transmission / transfer case. This limits the ability to properly tune the MR, so when someone does tune it, chances are they didn't get it all the way right unless they went to the experts that may not be local to them.

5. There are NO replacement parts that are made and sold for the MR transmission. Kozmic and other places scavenge from grenaded transmissions for this reason.

6. These transmissions cost a lot just for fluids! You change the transmission fluid once and it's close to 500 to do so. Run the car hard and it's needing to be changed more frequently? Ouch. On top of that they may or may not produce that fluid for the forseeable future. There was actually a stop sale on them due to what it is made out of earlier this year. I'd not like to risk not having proper fluids for an expensive transmission.

I loved my time with the MR, but it was expensive once I started monkeying with it. I used the best tuner in the country for the MR in my opinion, Kozmic Motorsports, but when a magnet went bad in the transmission it cost thousands to repair. Then just little things would go wrong with the transmission and more $$$ was spent.

The GSR on the other hand has a stupid strong, easy to work on, cheap to replace, transmission. With the EVO no longer being produced, it's foolish to consider buying an MR EVO.

So that's the reasons I suggested not to get an MR and to get a GSR. The MR is a fun car, but too many downsides to consider especially now in 2018 and beyond with the EVO's last year rapidly disappearing in the rear view.
Prime12 (Aug 29, 2018)
Old Aug 2, 2018, 08:45 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Find a reputable 3rd party shop that specializes in either evo's or at least the platform. Have them perform a P.P.I. (Pre-purchase inspection) on it. Then you will know what your getting into, and if you decide to pull the trigger, your going to need to have a relationship with a shop you can trust anyway so thats already taken care of.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 01:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Find a reputable 3rd party shop that specializes in either evo's or at least the platform. Have them perform a P.P.I. (Pre-purchase inspection) on it. Then you will know what your getting into, and if you decide to pull the trigger, your going to need to have a relationship with a shop you can trust anyway so thats already taken care of.
That's fine and dandy if it were a GSR. But there's no real way to tell the condition of the SST. It could be minutes away from one of the shift fork magnets getting too many metal particles stuck to it for the sensor to pick up magnet, and next thing you know the trans has 7 codes and doesn't work.

I wouldn't take a crap shoot on a used MR unless you can absorb the cost of a trans rebuild. Or it has low miles, like <30k... And I'd want to buy it from the original owner.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 08:39 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That's fine and dandy if it were a GSR. But there's no real way to tell the condition of the SST. It could be minutes away from one of the shift fork magnets getting too many metal particles stuck to it for the sensor to pick up magnet, and next thing you know the trans has 7 codes and doesn't work.

I wouldn't take a crap shoot on a used MR unless you can absorb the cost of a trans rebuild. Or it has low miles, like <30k... And I'd want to buy it from the original owner.
I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a used evo without a healthy chain of CD's rolling over, just in case Its true though the robot transmission is more complex, and gets sad easier if the owner is a dick and abuses it. A shop is still going to be your best bet at making an informed decision. You just have to be less tolerant to things like lapses in maintenance records and just walk away if anything other then OEM Fluid went into the trans.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Mr

It really depends on what your going to use the car for. I've owned my MR for almost 5 years I LOVE it but the maintenance is expensive the car is not. The tranny took a **** a few years ago was down for almost 6 months cost me 7 grand that includes shipping the transmission to get it rebuilt. I use my car as a daily which it does well but the car is far from fuel efficient. The car is modded so fluid changes must be done earlier than what Mitsu recommends. In other words if you want to play weekend warrior in your car buy a GSR if you want a high HP Evo X buy a GSR the MR is really fun puts a smile on my face every day I drive it. But the transmission is too much to worry about also someone said in an earlier post there are only a few places which can work on your tranny like 3 in the US it costs money to pull and send that off to get fixed. Each time you service your transmission which needs to be done every 20k that costs almost $450.00 for the fluids and the filter that is an expense over the GSR. If you have money to burn like a high paying job,own a good business then don't worry about the MR it's fun.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
I must brag about my MR.
My tuned 2010 MR with almost 200000 miles is the MOST reliable car i ever had!!!! So far i only did 3 trans oil/filter changes and i never had a trans problem!
engine oil and filter changed every 3K miles religiously!
white01ss (Sep 15, 2018)
Old Sep 3, 2018, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DRAGHICI
I must brag about my MR.
My tuned 2010 MR with almost 200000 miles is the MOST reliable car i ever had!!!! So far i only did 3 trans oil/filter changes and i never had a trans problem!
engine oil and filter changed every 3K miles religiously!
Awesome! Did you replace the timing belt and pumps?

Quick Reply: 2013 Evo MR - Dealership Question...