Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

LED bulbs in general.. and for the high beam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
LED bulbs in general.. and for the high beam

Many people swear by LED bulbs to replace halogens for their low beams but then some threads on this forum say LED bulbs suck and are too dim to work as low beams. What is the take on them lately by you fine gentlemen? Bright enough as low beams to replace halogens?

And anyone run LED bulbs to replace their high beams (halogen users not the guys with factory HIDs obviously)?

Whats a good LED brand?

Love you all.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
The vast majority of the LED bulbs are not going to come from the major lighting manufacturers but from small outfits in China. This site has a limited list of bulbs but they have tested all of them (they have a youtube channel too) and give you a decent selection of good rated bulbs. I'm sure the links are sponsored but......

Watch a few of the YT videos if you want to see how wildly the hotspot and output can vary. Cooling and packaging can be a real challenge too.

I think if you pick a good bulb, you can improve output and color over factory but if you go with junk, they'll be dim or have terrible scatter.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by splattj
The vast majority of the LED bulbs are not going to come from the major lighting manufacturers but from small outfits in China. This site has a limited list of bulbs but they have tested all of them (they have a youtube channel too) and give you a decent selection of good rated bulbs. I'm sure the links are sponsored but......

Watch a few of the YT videos if you want to see how wildly the hotspot and output can vary. Cooling and packaging can be a real challenge too.

I think if you pick a good bulb, you can improve output and color over factory but if you go with junk, they'll be dim or have terrible scatter.
Gotcha. Thanks for the tips, and link. I guess its still something where.. they are really not that reliable or that great. Its weird how some people swear by them and try the whole 'aftermarket hids are old school.. leds are the future'.

Anyone have some first hand experience with led bulbs?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not in my EVO IX but I have run H7 LEDs in a M'Bike and my TVR. Both of those had/have Projector headlamps and some LEDs I tried had poor emitter location that resulted in holes in the beam pattern though later purchases solved that but it can be a bit hit and miss as to if these will work well or not (if there are no trustable reviews) . If the emitter location is good I would say these rival (decent aftermarket) HID bulbs for illumination. At some point I plan on replacing my non-HID Fog and main beams in my IX with LEDs (as well as side and indicator lamps, but no hurry given this will probably need the front bumper dropped for access. As to reliability, I believe they are far more reliable than aftermarket HIDs whose ballast packs seem to fail on a regular basis ime.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have them in my evo and I like them the high beams are really bright the low beams are better than the stock but the aim of course still sucks
Old Oct 22, 2018, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by macca916
Not in my EVO IX but I have run H7 LEDs in a M'Bike and my TVR. Both of those had/have Projector headlamps and some LEDs I tried had poor emitter location that resulted in holes in the beam pattern though later purchases solved that but it can be a bit hit and miss as to if these will work well or not (if there are no trustable reviews) . If the emitter location is good I would say these rival (decent aftermarket) HID bulbs for illumination. At some point I plan on replacing my non-HID Fog and main beams in my IX with LEDs (as well as side and indicator lamps, but no hurry given this will probably need the front bumper dropped for access. As to reliability, I believe they are far more reliable than aftermarket HIDs whose ballast packs seem to fail on a regular basis ime.
Nice post! Thanks! I see good reviews, but just hearing others say how they aren't as bright or reliable as aftermarket HIDs has me on the fence. I like the simple, almost regular halogen bulb like ease of them just being plug in like a bulb. The bumper removal part is definitely a bummer. Thanks for your insight. Hearing from a forum member that they may be more reliable than aftermarket HIDs is reassuring. I think I might give them a shot.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
I have them in my evo and I like them the high beams are really bright the low beams are better than the stock but the aim of course still sucks
Nice! I take it your lows were halogens? Any experience with HIDs to compare the leds to? How is the aim poor? Oh! Most importantly, what brand are you running? Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlamps that are not designed for a light source other than a halogen bulbs will not work. Yes LED/HID are brighter but not better for visibility. If your headlamp can't focus all the light you will get the Star Wars Hyper speed effect. Running headlamps that are uncontrolled will be very difficult in fog and snow conditions. Not to mention the oncoming traffic will be less than pleased with you. Do it right or don't do it.