Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Oil leak from front passenger side

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil leak from front passenger side

Hey all. Not sure what this leak is, my garage is currently being used as a cat shelter by the wife, so I'm not able to get under the car until Saturday. But, there appears to be oil leaking from somewhere behind the wheel well/above fog light housing. Bought the car Wednesday(As is. Nothing I can do about bringing it back to dealer.), so I don't have much experience with it or how the moving bits are laid out. Does anyone know what this leak could be, or what parts are near this area so I can get an idea of what I'm going to be dealing with over the weekend?

Sorry for picture quality, best angle I could get without it being in the air.

Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
That's exactly where the factory oil cooler is located. It could be that or one of the lines.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 03:39 PM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Yup, yank the bumper off .
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:36 AM

Well I was able to get the front bumper yanked off. oil cooler is fine, the lines are coated in oil but don't appear to be the source, the leak started coming from directly under the pan once I got rid of the undertray. which is somewhat of a relief. I hear gaskets failing are common. Also found the reason why my passenger side fog light hasn't been working. They were converted to LED bulbs by the previous owner, and the battery pack or whatever the hell it is is missing from that side. I also found out while I was down there that the undertray was half held on by zipties. So that's going to be a gargantuan pain to put back together.
This went well past midnight, so I'm putting off putting the damn thing back on till after work tomorrow.

Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Prime12
That's exactly where the factory oil cooler is located. It could be that or one of the lines.
You are correct. Got under the car, and it was either coming from the oil pan or the cooler lines. Had dealership take a look as well to double check while they were bleeding the ayc pump (They never ended up doing that. Bled the ACD instead so I have to go back again.) and it was indeed the cooler lines. Problem is they want $1,000 to fix it. So I'm just going to buy a mishimoto cooler for $500 and replace the whole assembly.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 01:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Do not buy a mishimoto cooler kit. The heat exchanger is garbage. But the oil cooler kit from MAP. They use a genuine Setrab oil cooler.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Do not buy a mishimoto cooler kit. The heat exchanger is garbage. But the oil cooler kit from MAP. They use a genuine Setrab oil cooler.
Appreciate it. But as of about an hour ago I found a much larger issue. Seems like in the process of the dealer taking a look at it, they made the leak far worse. This was 30 seconds of idling in the driveway.
They charged me $800 for the privilege of rendering my car undriveable. Going to have to have it towed or wait until I fix it myself.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
$1000? Yikes. The lines are available new at $120 each. 1225A130 (return line) and 1225A131 (feder line).

Unless for whatever reason they are replacing the cooler too, in which case it's a little more reasonable (the core, 1240A056, is $466 by itself).