Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Pre Purchase Advice, Mod List Help.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 01:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Pre Purchase Advice, Mod List Help.

HI GUYS!

All I want for christmas is my first EVO. I found a 2013 evo x gsr with 51k miles, one owner. Here is the mod list I am aware of:

Clevite rod bearings
manley turbo tuff rods
je pistons
manley valve springs
titanium retainers
kelford 214b cams
straight pipe exhaust
upper/lower intercooler piping
hks bov
2lb lighter flywheel
stage 3 xtd clutch
eibauch lowering springs
The rod has arp fasteners and has arp2000 head studs

I am looking to buy an evo as a daily driver. What do these mods tell you about the car? Should I be apprehensive about buying? Is there something I could check or take it in for a full inspection? Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 01:54 PM

Originally I wanted to buy stock as I thought that is the safest and most reliable route, and add on all the bolt ons myself. After getting some stock cars inspected, I found they have issues as well. I widened my search to cars with the bolt ons. These mods seem a little more extreme to making the engine capable of higher horsepower. Can these make the car more reliable, or is it more likely it has been raced and beaten? Just want an evo that is fast, fun, and reliable when cared for properly. All help is appreciated! Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DesertDog57
HI GUYS!

All I want for christmas is my first EVO. I found a 2013 evo x gsr with 51k miles, one owner. Here is the mod list I am aware of:

Clevite rod bearings
manley turbo tuff rods
je pistons
manley valve springs
titanium retainers
kelford 214b cams
straight pipe exhaust
upper/lower intercooler piping
hks bov
2lb lighter flywheel
stage 3 xtd clutch
eibauch lowering springs
The rod has arp fasteners and has arp2000 head studs

I am looking to buy an evo as a daily driver. What do these mods tell you about the car? Should I be apprehensive about buying? Is there something I could check or take it in for a full inspection? Thanks.
It means the car was modded.

Yes, I would be apprehensive a buying a car that has been modded. I would ask who tuned it and get a shop to look to see if the parts are on correctly and do a compression test.
The following users liked this post:
DesertDog57 (Dec 7, 2018)
Old Dec 6, 2018, 05:11 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
engine rebuild with ~50k on the clock, thats a red flag, especially without the other mods to justify that kind of work.
The following users liked this post:
DesertDog57 (Dec 7, 2018)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 07:57 AM

I do not think these are the only mods, it certainly has all the bolt on as well. Here is a link to the car: https://www.selectmotorswichita.com/...2/Details.aspx
Old Dec 7, 2018, 07:59 AM

They dealership is taking it to the shop for a full inspection and compression test. Here is a link to the vehicle, https://www.selectmotorswichita.com/...2/Details.aspx. Apparantly the check engine light is on due to the catalytic converter being removed, is that a common occurance?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 09:47 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by DesertDog57
They dealership is taking it to the shop for a full inspection and compression test. Here is a link to the vehicle, https://www.selectmotorswichita.com/...2/Details.aspx. Apparantly the check engine light is on due to the catalytic converter being removed, is that a common occurance?
usually when people delete the cat they turn off the obd test as well.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about a used tuned car with bolt ons if everything seems done right, but I wouldn't buy a second hand car with a built motor if I wasn't the one that built it. Once you open up the motor I think you are just opening yourself up to more potential headaches.