Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MAPerformance High Capacity Oil Pan V2

Old Feb 21, 2019, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

As many of you may be aware, some months ago, we (Modern Automotive Performance) discontinued our high capacity oil pan for the EVO X. The primary reason we discontinued our oil pan revolved around the original casting process and the associated costs. Our Gen 1 High Capacity oil pan was cast using a method that has a lower tooling cost but, the individual price per unit is higher, which, forced the individual part cost higher. When the part cost is higher, the end retail price is, logically, higher as well. This was reflected in our original retail price point of 499.00 per pan. One of the tricky things that happens, when a part is priced high, is that it becomes difficult to understand the need or demand for the product because the price, itself, might be driving the demand down. This seemed to be confirmed when, shortly after the discontinuation, customers started calling in, asking where the oil pan was or why the listing could not be found.

Working on the premise that the original cost of the part was essentially causing customers to look past our oil pan solution, we went back to the drawing board. After research, consideration and a lot of negotiation, I believe we can bring our high capacity oil pan back into production. The production method we propose using would involve a style of high production tooling that would produce parts lighter, more dense and stronger, and allow for more design flexibility… this means we would essentially be starting virtually over, from scratch, to develop a Gen 2 high capacity oil pan for the EVO X.

We would incorporate the same features that made our Generation 1 pan popular...namely, higher capacity, strength and removable gated baffles that are superior to the OEM design and help reduce oil slosh, but we would be able to cut down on weight and potentially add some new features to this pan to make it more functional AND reduce cost to the end user. Tooling cost is EXTREMELY high… much higher than we have experienced with previous products...which brings me to the point of this post.

I would like to be able to answer three critical questions:

1) If we were to redesign the oil pan, what, if any, features would anyone want added?

2) How many people would commit to an oil pan knowing the first batch ETA would likely be anywhere from 6-9 months?

3) What is the price point for this product that makes sense?

I believe I can answer the last question… the original product was 499.00… and I would target AT LEAST a retail cost of 399.00 to feel like I had done my job. Does anyone have any feedback to provide on that topic?

Question number 2, I believe, could be done in the way of group buy. What if I were to suggest that the first orders/group buy would be eligible for up to 40% off the suggested retail price? That would get the product landed at a proposed cost of 199.00 per unit… that is actually just right around the cost of the OEM oil pan!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:03 AM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
interested! Noticed a small dent in my oil pan yesterday. Not a big deal but gives me an excuse to upgrade
Old Feb 24, 2019, 08:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 572 Likes on 430 Posts
Make a pan for the 4G instead.

The 8/9 guys have way more issues with oil starvation and the only solution that works semi decent right is hacked up stock pans like the Racefab which still isn't ideal.

I'd pay $500 for a pan all day and plenty of other road race and time attack guys would as well.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 08:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
im down
Old Mar 2, 2019, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be interested in this product. I don’t like the adaptor on my oil filter for oil temp. I feel like the filter is super vulnerable. Videos for the old one sold me. Please follow through with the second gen. Thank you.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with Ayoustin, make a pan for the 4G and I quickly pay $500.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Definitely interested in a better solution and I’m always happy to support continuing R&D of the Evo!

Would adding fins to the outside for some extra passive cooling be useful/possible?

also, definitely want a port for an oil temp sensor.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo x. Meh.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 03:16 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Why not use sheet metal?

Search this Thread