Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

HPDE- OK to use ST43 front pads, DS2500 rears?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HPDE- OK to use ST43 front pads, DS2500 rears?

I'm swapping front Ferodo DS2500's for Raybestos ST43's for track days. Is it necessary to do the same for the rears? I'm reading mixed opinions online, but for EVO X this seems OK, particularly because the rears are DS2500's. I'm an "intermediate" level racer. I have stainless steel brake lines, fresh ATE DOT4 fluid, new Falken Azenis RT615K+, and I have a tune for 275 HP to the wheels. Everything else is stock.

Also, how long should I be comfortable with keeping my track pads on? For example, if you have a track day on a Wednesday, and another on a Sunday, would you just leave your track pads on between those events and drive carefully on the street? It seems maybe unnecessary to swap track pads on/off/on if there's a short time between events.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Doubt necessary unless really pushing things most braking for the front. Past track day you'll want to change them just due to the annoyance factor. They will be very loud and squeal a lot until up to temperature. So most don't like to use track pads on the daily due to that aspect.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Doubt necessary unless really pushing things most braking for the front. Past track day you'll want to change them just due to the annoyance factor. They will be very loud and squeal a lot until up to temperature. So most don't like to use track pads on the daily due to that aspect.
Thanks. The ST43 havent been screeching too bad yet. I'll see how it goes on the long drive out to the track.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
ST43 front and DS2500 rear has been fine for me.

Coefficient of friction for DS2500 declines as temperature increases. I can't find a graph for ST-43, but they definitely become more grabby as they warm up. Both pads have approximately similar coefficients of friction, so the setup doesn't feel too unbalanced. The combination feels front-biased at temperature, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for HPDE.

Originally Posted by DaEvoPusha
Thanks. The ST43 havent been screeching too bad yet. I'll see how it goes on the long drive out to the track.
My ST43 didn't really make much noise on the first drive out to the track. After the track day, they became unbearable. I can't wait to swap them out when I get home.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

The ST43 fronts, DS2500 rears felt pretty good at Blackhawk Farms. I'm going to keep this setup for track days going forward.
Old May 13, 2019, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run ST43's and hawk HP+ rears. They do squeal but i dont really mind it and use them on the street too