Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Lowest mileage EVO X

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The X is going up in value according to the KBB. I've been getting alerts from KBB for a couple of months now regarding any changes in value with the car. I must of gotten in total 4 different alerts saying that the X went up 3% so 12%. Small increases but it hasn't even been 6 months since I subscribed. What I do believe is that in no way will the X hold its value in the way the IX just based on the factor of availability alone. I feel like a broken record cause Its been said a thousand times and everybody know this, but the IX was only in production for one year and finding a good one is extremely rare. Hell even the ones that are beat up sell for around 30k. I recently saw a IX that written off as a total loss by the insurance company get rebuilt and sell for 30k. The fact is the Xs aren't as popular and are way more available. I hear alot of X owners talk about settling for the X because they couldn't find a clean IX. That's not to say the X isn't a good car, it's just that people prefer the IX because they're alot more fun and the 4G63 that built the legend of the evo.
Old May 22, 2019, 03:34 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jayevo23
I believe the IXs & older evos are considered classics. I just don't think the X will.
I got a chuckle out of this. You really think that the last Evolution ever made is somehow lesser than the 4G63 powered vehicles that came before it? I am having a hard time with that comment.
Old May 22, 2019, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
At a car show few years ago there was a guy with a c6 zo6. he would arrive with it on a trailer and back it off in neutral and it had 0 miles on it. this was before the c7 came out, and he thought the C6 ZO6 was so amazing and that it would be such a collector's item that he refused to drive it. It made me laugh and feel sad for him at the same time. It was his idol. He obviously worshipped it. It wasn't a car to be enjoyed and driven. Then the Corvettes just kept getting better with the c7 ZO6, ZL1, etc. So all those years were a waste. The Evo is no different. I bought mine brand new in 2012 and haven't stopped. Year round. Snow, salt, rain. I take care of it. But I am going to be the one to run it through it's best years. Not someone else!
Old May 22, 2019, 06:12 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Jay Leno will never have an Evo X in his garage. There isn't anything "different" to make it a classic. There needs to be something quirky or special. Again, if you don't mind having all that money sitting on the floor of your garage, I say have at it. Some of us just don't have a "collector" mentality. We'd rather enjoy life than look at it. To each their own. I have some toy cars on my desk I'll never play with. They didn't cost me $40k, though LOL
This conversation never ends because collectors and drivers think about all this in completely different ways. Collectors will always hope for a profit and those of us that beat on our cars will always think it's a waste LOL.
Who knows? With no miles and about 20yrs from now, there may be a bit of profit involved. Worth it? I guess.
Old May 22, 2019, 06:13 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by NFSEvolutionGSR
I got a chuckle out of this. You really think that the last Evolution ever made is somehow lesser than the 4G63 powered vehicles that came before it? I am having a hard time with that comment.
Viewed as such, in terms of resale value, pop culture, history, blah blah, yes.
Old May 23, 2019, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I never said anything about the X being lesser than the IX not sure where you got that from. What I said is that I don't think the X will be a classic, but we'll see and others have agreed. I never had a IX or a VIII so I can't say which I prefer, but there is more demand for the prior generations which you can see just by looking in the for sale section of this forum.
Old May 23, 2019, 07:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I will take a long time for the Evo X to be consider Classic thats for sure. Now the car value tells a different story
its going up slowly which is great. 10 years from now I can see a clean stock low mileage Evo X selling for 70k.
its all up to the market and demand to make it a classic at the end. My Evo for example the original owner overpaid it was
purchased for 67k smh. Also consider there are very few Evo X produced about average 2,000 a year 08-15 and
available now considering fire,total loss and complete part outs probably -500 per year.
If you think about it who would have though the 3000GT VR4 was going to be a classic. That thing was selling for
4-5k used back then. Heck even the GVR4 and GSX are going up in value now.
Old May 23, 2019, 02:29 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by llllBULLSEYE
I will take a long time for the Evo X to be consider Classic thats for sure. Now the car value tells a different story
its going up slowly which is great. 10 years from now I can see a clean stock low mileage Evo X selling for 70k.
its all up to the market and demand to make it a classic at the end. My Evo for example the original owner overpaid it was
purchased for 67k smh. Also consider there are very few Evo X produced about average 2,000 a year 08-15 and
available now considering fire,total loss and complete part outs probably -500 per year.
If you think about it who would have though the 3000GT VR4 was going to be a classic. That thing was selling for
4-5k used back then. Heck even the GVR4 and GSX are going up in value now.

Um..No. An Evo X will never, ever sell for that much. You have to look at WHY certain cars go up in value. There are reasons. The Evo X had none of those.
I know X owners would like to think they are sitting on a gold mine, but they aren't.
Old May 23, 2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jayevo23
What I said is that I don't think the X will be a classic, but we'll see and others have agreed.
I understand where you are coming from. To their credit, the VIII and IX are closer is chronological proximity to the heyday of Mitsubishi's very successful racing career, and they both benefited from that heritage in many ways. As Top Gear so elegantly proved back in the day, there was not a whole lot separating what was basically a bolt-on Evolution (FQ400 or 360) from what were considered really fast and exotic cars of the time (Murcielago used as an example). Granted, there were also some serious shortcomings to those cars (VIII and IX). The X did not solve many of them. That is what your assessment is based upon.

My argument is that the X represents the end of an era for Mitsubishi. It might end up being the last great car that this company will ever make. Plus, some came with a gift that the older Evolutions never got (TC-SST). That being said, there are a lot of truly great Mitsubishis that the world has forgotten (here's to you, Pajero Evolution). I don't think that the X will share the same fate, and I believe that the X will someday share classic status (if any survive).
Old May 23, 2019, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
I know X owners would like to think they are sitting on a gold mine, but they aren't.
What the hell are you talking about? You are delusional if you think that more than a handful of owners on this forum in general actually bought one of these things as an investment.
Old May 23, 2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by llllBULLSEYE
10 years from now I can see a clean stock low mileage Evo X selling for 70k.
Even with inflation and assuming that only a handful of these cars actually survive the hoards of idiot teenagers looking to do asinine things to them, I doubt that that will ever happen.
Old May 23, 2019, 05:17 PM
kaj

What the hell are you talking about? You are delusional if you think that more than a handful of owners on this forum in general actually bought one of these things as an investment.
I'm not sure what your post has to do with mine. Am I missing something?